JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Update on my Altria position.......

Friday's close has me up 20% since my purchase in September. The media coverage has moved on to other topics and the vaping deaths are now being blamed on THC oil infused vaping pods. No one is pointing the finger at Juul or Altria anymore. Investors that panicked are slowly returning.

It's tough to justify putting money into Wall Street when the market is hitting new highs. However even as the market is setting new highs, there is always a stock that is having a bad day. Those are the ones I like to look at. Why is it crashing? Is the sell-off justified or an over reaction? Is there opportunity to make money from someone else's panic? These are the things that I consider.

P.S.........Altria is also scheduled to declare a dividend on Wednesday.

-E-

Last Edited:
Update on my Altria position.......

Friday's close has me up 20% since my purchase in September. The media coverage has moved on to other topics and the vaping deaths are now being blamed on THC oil infused vaping pods. No one is pointing the finger at Juul or Altria anymore. Investors that panicked are slowly returning.

It's tough to justify putting money into Wall Street when the market is hitting new highs. However even as the market is setting new highs, there is always a stock that is having a bad day. Those are the ones I like to look at. Why is it crashing? Is the sell-off justified or an over reaction? Is there opportunity to make money from someone else's panic? These are the things that I consider.

P.S.........Altria is also scheduled to declare a dividend on Wednesday.

-E-

Great job! Due diligence and common sense pays off!

Only two days are relevant when you buy common stock; the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Dividends, buying on margin etc are just distractions, they all roll into the net. Opportunity cost does sweeten the pot a bit; the stock I bought is up 50%, the one I wished I'd bought is up 200% :(

I do admire those with the guts to play the game though :)

When I retired we had only the mortgage + medical insurance as a regular expense. We put as much as we could into the Boeing retirement system, which is a great deal. IOW we anticipated that we would be needing $ in the future and better get busy quick or develop a taste for cat food.
It blows my mind to hear people who act like property tax is an unexpected disaster like a medical emergency. (True story based on acquaintances. No names, but true) The fellow likes $20 cigars to the tune of ~$600/mo. Holy mackerel! :eek: and they had to borrow to pay their property tax. Cognitive dissonance in action! She is a few years short of FRA and is returning to the workplace - has been disabled for a couple of years. Long story short he plans to retire early come Hell or high water. I'm sure it will be interesting to watch.

Well.....today (12-11-2019) the FED didn't raise the interest rate. So....to me that is a good short term sign.

Aloha, Mark

PS......still waiting on the China tariffs announcement, in a couple of days.

...it blows my mind to hear people who act like property tax is an unexpected disaster like a medical emergency. (True story based on acquaintances. No names, but true) The fellow likes $20 cigars to the tune of ~$600/mo. Holy mackerel! :eek: and they had to borrow to pay their property tax. Cognitive dissonance in action! She is a few years short of FRA and is returning to the workplace - has been disabled for a couple of years. Long story short he plans to retire early come Hell or high water. I'm sure it will be interesting to watch.

There is a possibility that those who have scrimped, sacrificed and saved up will have to pay for those who smoked $20 cigars and drank 2 Starbucks Lattes daily. They'll be sly about it, bumping your taxes quietly to help them out but imagine the large mass of entitled idiots about to retire and an Elizabeth Warren type of President hearing the wailing of a massive group of voters: "WHY DO THEY HAVE EVERYTHING AND WE ARE IMPOVERISHED....IT'S NOT FAIR WHHHAAAAAAA IT'S NOT FAIRRRRRRR.......HURRR DURRR.............WHAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".

Breaking News 12-12-2019/1218 hrs.

CNBC says that US and China have agreed to Phase 1 of the trade deal. I guess TRUMP won't have a reason to raise tariffs as of 12-15-2019.

Aloha, Mark

When the SHTF, gold and silver coins will be current after some reset thrashing. I'll stick to smaller denominations because I don't really want to trade a 10oz (or 100oz) silver bar for a gallon of gas.

Medicine like antibiotics will be big too (and insulin for as long as freshness can be reasonably "assured").

Alcohol and tobacco will also be great for transactions.

And ammo. Of course volumes and methods of delivery will all depend upon the attitudes of parties involved.

Bitcoin? Pfffft... Requires electricity.

I don't see gold/silver being worth much, especially at first. Look at post WWII Germany and Russia, if you couldn't eat it, shoot it or bang it, no one wanted it or would buy it. People sold gold and jewels for the ability to pick over harvested fields in both countries.

Meds will be worth their weight in gold (HA! HA!) though. Pretty much anything will be, asperin, A&D ointment, pain killers, etc.

Booze and tobacco are always in demand. SHTF is no time to have a nicotine fit or the DTs!

Ammo never does down in value if kept clean and dry.

I LOVE listening to the demonrat scum millionaires/billionaires telling me it is the fault of someone else I am poor and THEY (the billionaires) will "level the playing field" so I can get my million too! Love Bernie who never had a job (sponged off his four ex-wives) and was sleeping on a buddies couch when he ran for prez the first time and now has four million dollar houses and a $500,000 car telling me he will stick it to the rich! Creepy Joe telling me the same thing! When he was in Burlington, IA he kept yapping about Vermont and how he loved Vermont until his handler came out and told him it was Burlington, IOWA! "Iowa?! Where's that?! Oh..... fly over country!" I was laughing so hard I fell out of my chair! Then he started in about Vt again and how he loved Vt, I was thrown out, as in picked up and carried out I was laughing so hard. You know, someone knocks on your door, stick a shotgun out the window and rip off a couple shots, attacked a girl at the Iowa State Fair (WHY he was not charged with assault is beyond me!), the list goes on.

The market may have hit highs today - talk all you want about the market, the deficit, fed money policy, etc., but if people don't buy 'stuff', eventually the economy will feel it.

The market may have hit highs today - talk all you want about the market, the deficit, fed money policy, etc., but if people don't buy 'stuff', eventually the economy will feel it.

Yes but the decline is being blamed solely on a decline in military aircraft spending and.......Boeing. If you exclude that sector you would see a .8% increase.

E

Yes but the decline is being blamed solely on a decline in military aircraft spending and.......Boeing. If you exclude that sector you would see a .8% increase.

E

I am sure the Boeing employees will take solace in that fact. :rolleyes:

Such major disruptions have a huge ripple effect. Besides their own employees, Boeing has hundreds if not thousands of suppliers worldwide, many of whom rely on Boeing for a major part of their business. Boeing has stopped their 737 Max production line, and it will remain shut down for months. They are hemorrhaging cash.

All this stuff adds up.

The economy has a momentum to it. People like to think economic crashes happen suddenly, but they actually start months, even years prior to the 'crash'. A lot of economists/et. al. were warning about the housing bubble for years before the 2008 recession.

I don't know that we will have a recession in the next couple of years (most likely not first half of 2020), but the economy growth will slow down. Trucking is one underlying indicator of a major sector of the economy - durable goods and consumer spending. Manufactured goods, imported goods, consumer spending on goods and services, all are supported by trucking and freight shipping - if trucking is suffering, it is because the underlying economy is slowing.

We'll see.

I am just glad I am so close to retirement.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top