Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Opening New Gunsmith/Engraving Shop

Discussion in 'Business Discussion & Reviews' started by NWCustomFirearms, Jan 19, 2013.

1. NWCustomFirearms

NWCustomFirearms Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Thought I would edit this post to accurately reflect what I am doing. Upon lots of research I have come to the conclusion that while a good hot blue is the pinnacle of a good shop I just can't find the market for it. It seems that everyone is leaning towards the spray on finishes. I do bead blasting and an leaning towards cerakote finishing. I am a graduate of the Colorado School of Trades back in '99 and will be offering gunsmithing. I was also a glock armorer for 6 years but didn't renew since it's a glock, not much had changed. I love building 10/22's so ill be offering custom packages on those and other popular platforms as well.

We are also starting custom laser engraving. While we are waiting on the ATF we are ONLY taking non regulated parts ie slides, uppers, grips, stocks, mags etc... NO lowers, frames etc until the license is finalized (not going to mess with the ATF). Part must fit in my machine which is 12"x18". We won't be dealing in new guns but over time will be dealing in used guns.

Pm me with questions and company name, we were at the open carry event last Saturday here in vancouver and were the company who donated the mugs they were giving away.

Thanks for reading

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Being able to thread barrels would be a good service to offer. I've seen several people post here looking for a "local" guy to thread a rifle barrel. Anyway, best of luck in your new endeavor.

3. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Having the ability to do trigger jobs on firearms would be a big help!

Russ1590 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. NWCustomFirearms

Thanks, trigger jobs are easy to do and would plan on offering those. The hot bluing would be great but the cost and demand might put that on hold for a bit.

5. NWCustomFirearms

Hey thanks, not sure of my initial offerings but being able to thread barrels is a huge plus. Thanks for the comment.

6. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Ruger 10/22 has huge market penetration, meaning there are tons of them out there. People like to accessorize them. Seems like that would be a good start.

Russ1590 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. NWCustomFirearms

Thanks, yeah I love building 10/22's. I've built a bunch with all the same tack driving results. I'm going to incorporate 10/22's with my laser engraving and I think that will add a real nice custom touch.

8. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

if you an "accurazing" package like Clrak customs offers I can promise at least one.

9. NWCustomFirearms

I will be offering several accurazing packages in different price ranges. Normally I've been doing complete builds but i could see how people wouldn't want to spend that much on the total package. Also considering instead of hot bluing maybe parkerizing and possibly cera kote. I love a good hot blue but im seeing more of a market for the spray finishes. Thanks

10. kamaaina1

kamaaina1 Vancouver, WA New Member

Cerakote would be good.

11. NWCustomFirearms

Thats what im leaning towards, parkerizing and cerakote.