JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HEY @Caveman Jim , you can park by my house here in NE PDX! I'll let you know next time the city tags a couple of the trailers parked on my street for towing. They usually move within a week or so. Once you park, the city doesn't usually come out for three weeks to tag them. You could stay for awhile and enjoy all that Northeast Portland has to offer! Yeah? :s0108:

:s0140:

But seriously....I was reading about these open seats and thinking that maybe I need to diversify some. Considering what a pain in the arse it's getting to be to (not) catch salmon, steelhead not showing, driving across town to get into bass, traffic.

Just to show that I am not the only generous fisherman out there, I accepted an open seat from a guy that bought some fishing gear from me on C/L last year.
He texted me yesterday around 5 pm to go for some Lingcod & sea bass out of Westport. It worked out for an afternoon trip due to the tides, yea, no waking at 3am to be on the water at first light (thank Gawd cause I be tired).
We put in around 1:45 & I caught the first 3 fish (1 Ling & 2 bass) & from then on it was a blur & called it a day around 7 pm.
An outstanding fishing trip it was and a promise to happen again since I know my way around a boat (fresh or saltwater), am a semi pro angler & am a hoot to be around even with green gills (a bit queezy from the waves).... :D:D:D

Final tally was 4 Ling's, 2 Cabazon & 18 sea bass.

20170530_162504.jpg

Resized952017053095190109.jpg Resized952017053095190132.jpg

If you're fishing Merwin in early July or late June, tie on some hexagena nymphs. Usually a heavily weighted articulated fly about 1 1/2" to 3" long... fish them all day pulling them up from the bottom in about 40'-30' of water with mud bottom... then if you fly fish and actually understand me, tie on a foam hex around sunset as the feast begins. Big 3" yellow flies getting taken off the surface always makes me excited!
(Try the nymph technique if you want that wall hanger)

It's great that you offer the seats, we have to keep people into the sport and make friends along the way. Teaching them tactics and good etiquette is wonderful as well.

Tho I know you just want somebody to drop anchor... JK

Just to show that I am not the only generous fisherman out there, I accepted an open seat from a guy that bought some fishing gear from me on C/L last year.
He texted me yesterday around 5 pm to go for some Lingcod & sea bass out of Westport. It worked out for an afternoon trip due to the tides, yea, no waking at 3am to be on the water at first light (thank Gawd cause I be tired).
We put in around 1:45 & I caught the first 3 fish (1 Ling & 2 bass) & from then on it was a blur & called it a day around 7 pm.
An outstanding fishing trip it was and a promise to happen again since I know my way around a boat (fresh or saltwater), am a semi pro angler & am a hoot to be around even with green gills (a bit queezy from the waves).... :D:D:D

View attachment 366932

View attachment 366930 View attachment 366931
Also why the bays seem more attractive than the Deschutes with each passing year.

Was so good to get back on the water last Friday. I asked Ray (slobray) if he wanted to join in on the voyage & as usual he did.
We went North to American Lake this time since Summit lake is still closed due to an algae bloom... :mad::mad::mad:
It was a bright hot day and the water temp was 63° already and the fish must have been hiding else where (except for 3 of them, two nice sized trout & one fat kokanee). I had not fished American Lake for over 20 years but I kept my record of never being skunked there for 20 years!!!:p:p:p

Thanks for joining me again Ray and as always, I enjoy your company and good conversations .;)

Oh & before some wise guy (you know who you are) sayin it didn't happen without pics...
neener neener neener...:s0066::s0066::s0066:View attachment 366535

Jim, it was my pleasure to be on the water with you again, and as you said it was a great day for good company and good conversations.

By the way, those fish were delicious.

Ray

HEY @Caveman Jim , you can park by my house here in NE PDX! I'll let you know next time the city tags a couple of the trailers parked on my street for towing. They usually move within a week or so. Once you park, the city doesn't usually come out for three weeks to tag them. You could stay for awhile and enjoy all that Northeast Portland has to offer! Yeah? :s0108:

:s0140:

But seriously....I was reading about these open seats and thinking that maybe I need to diversify some. Considering what a pain in the arse it's getting to be to (not) catch salmon, steelhead not showing, driving across town to get into bass, traffic.

Thanks for the invite Mike, while parking on the mean streets of Portland Oregon is on my bucket list, I'm hoping that I will die before that one is scratched off....:p:p:p ROFLMAO

View attachment 366932

View attachment 366930 View attachment 366931

Wow! Nice catch, Jim! Now those are some eatin fish!!! :D

Wow! Nice catch, Jim! Now those are some eatin fish!!! :D

You bet Sgt!!!
They are going to be prepared for, wait for it...
Fish Tacos, my favorite!!!!!:s0071:
Hell, I just thought that I may actually be part Triton.....:eek::eek::eek::eek::s0012: dang that means I'm a gonna have to grow gills.....:s0002: wait a minute, I already have them!!!!!!:s0005::s0005: :s0005: oh well....:p

If you're fishing Merwin in early July or late June, tie on some hexagena nymphs. Usually a heavily weighted articulated fly about 1 1/2" to 3" long... fish them all day pulling them up from the bottom in about 40'-30' of water with mud bottom... then if you fly fish and actually understand me, tie on a foam hex around sunset as the feast begins. Big 3" yellow flies getting taken off the surface always makes me excited!
(Try the nymph technique if you want that wall hanger)

It's great that you offer the seats, we have to keep people into the sport and make friends along the way. Teaching them tactics and good etiquette is wonderful as well.

Tho I know you just want somebody to drop anchor... JK

I believe that you are the brother on A river runs through it" & I was the guy who brought worms & a bait casting rod.... lol
I tried a fly rod once but I got a lot of dirty looks cause I had a spinning reel affixed to it.:s0001::s0001::s0001::s0001::p:p:p

The nymph is so big and Harvey that all you need is light spinning gear, would probably work with the dry and a bobber too.

I see nothing wrong with what you did, but I'm not a purist. Dry fly guys do more drinking than fishing, and I bet they were the one's scoffing.

You bet Sgt!!!
They are going to be prepared for, wait for it...
Fish Tacos, my favorite!!!!!:s0071:
Hell, I just thought that I may actually be part Triton.....:eek::eek::eek::eek::s0012: dang that means I'm a gonna have to grow gills.....:s0002: wait a minute, I already have them!!!!!!:s0005::s0005: :s0005: oh well....:p

Down here at Newport and just finished a fresh pan seared Rockfish sandwich with a fresh Dungeness Crab salad covering the rockfish, on a bun with chiffonade of lettuce and tarter sauce spread! Oh my! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top