Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Open Seats

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by Caveman Jim, May 13, 2016.

1. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Over the many years that I have fished here in the PNW, I have caught countless amounts of fish, from trout to the mighty salmon & steelhead.
    I love the time on the river bank or boat to seek peace, tranquility and of course wrestle a mature steelhead all alone. I would often tell others about my quests afield it always peaked their interest and they wanted to experience my same experiences. So I would explain the ins & outs of what to expect then invite them along.
    What I have experienced by doing this is 1) people are different, 2) people have a desire to be guided to fish, 3) people are not always genuine when no bounty come to hand (or net) & 4) the nube tends to get hooked.....
    That's why I have always been an open seat advocate and I am not a guide, I value what sleep I do get immensely, I'm retired and just love to fish.;)

So from time to time I may offer up an open seat or two, granted I normally will post it for a post haste fishing trip almost anywhere in Washington.:D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. SA Shooter

SA Shooter Hillsboro, OR Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

That's damned awesome of you.

I too fish for tranquility. Fishing is the joy, catching is just frosting on the cake for me.

But when I do catch, I enjoy the tasty fruits of my labor. :)

Slobray, Caveman Jim and Joe13 like this.
  3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Ahgk! Your a few hours away from me or I'd be pestering you for some lessons:D.

Not sure how I was born into a family that doesn't hunt or fish worth a fart:rolleyes:.

Finding people willing to share their spots to teach you kind of sucks lol:oops:. I got someone local I'm going to pester - I love Columbia Salmon:cool:.

I can watch youtube for a week and still not pick up what I do FTF in person with someone in the first hour out. I'm a hands on guy.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  4. Caveman Jim

I guess in a way I am a teacher and I have a ruler to boot. Now don't touch that rod till it's peeling off line like freight train bound for hell.....:eek::eek::eek::p
    Maybe I'm just getting old & need help with the boat....IDK...

Slobray likes this.
  5. Caveman Jim

Looking back at #3, this was not a redeeming factor but one that cannot be helped when dealing with strangers (especially fishermen).....o_O

6. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

I think it is the help your looking for. (Notice I didn't say anything about getting old but if the shoe fits):p:p:p:p:p

Caveman Jim likes this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Just would like someone there to retrieve me if I fall overboard.... or nap while trolling or.... you get the picture...o_O

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Slobray, oknow and x2ndxall like this.
  8. Caveman Jim

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in the boat, drink beer all day & tell lies.....;)

Slobray, brokenarrow and oknow like this.
  9. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

While I've never taken anyone up on the offer, I think it's fantastic when people offer up open seats. And for goodness sake people, if someone takes you out, be sure to kick in some cash for expenses! :)

Ura-Ki, 308, uscsoldier and 3 others like this.
  10. Slobray

Slobray Yelm, WA Well-Known Member

The way my friends and I do it, is that we split everything equally; gas (truck and boat), bait, launch fees, incidentals, fish, etc.... We also help with cleaning the boat, fish and everything else. It's just better that way.

Ray

11. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Seems like a great way to go about it :)

12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

I am glad to see good folks willing to share a passion with others!

Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. Caveman Jim

Check out my original post for a new OPEN SEAT

Slobray likes this.