JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know that you can really speak for the "vast populous", but I see plenty of folks that do not pay the prices you are charging, so I know I'm far from alone. The fact is that I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me - that was never my intent. I just came to state my opinion, and I've done just that :cool:

I hate seeing no .22 on the shelves, but if I was poor or facing hard times, I'd certainly be out there looking for .22 to sell at whatever price people are willing to pay. Seems like some take this all a little too personally, this is not hording bottled water to sell when everyone's dying of thirst, its .22 long rifle.

I have to say this is an interesting thread. The hypocrisy is rather entertaining. While I would never buy 22 ammo at "scalper" level prices to insinuate that anything other than supply and demand is at work goes against every anti-government, "I'm a conservative capitalist," statement ever made by many who have posted on this topic. How can anyone pass judgement on this enterprise? Are we in the middle of active door to door fighting that requires ammo? What moral code is being broken?

I also believe that the only good capitalism is one that is well regulated.

Now I'm a walking, talking contradiction, but I'll stand up for my inconsistencies how about you?

PS- I'll sell my 22 for $200 per 500 if any is interested.:)

You simply cannot create a shortage by buying a product and reselling it at a higher price that is rudimentary economics...

I disagree. Since scalpers such as yourself strip the shelves as soon they are stocked you ARE creating the shortage. Otherwise I could simply go to any sporting goods store and buy it at retail. Are people hoarding? Absolutely, and people like you are perpetuating the hoarding instinct during the panic. They worry that it is never going to stop and that prices will never go down. Thank you for taking advantage of others.

I refuse to purchase for normally marked up ammunition. If I purchase ammo I don't need (been lucky a few times) it's available to others I know who do need it, and I always sell it at cost and in a few cases gave it away.

To be Frank the vast populous values it more.
No they don't or (as I stated before) the major retailers would be selling it at inflated rates which they are not. You are selling to a small percentage of shooters who either cannot ever seem to find retail ammo and are so addicted to shooting .22 they cannot be without it. I believe the majority of us are pragmatic and are either shooting other calibers and are limiting .22 use. Personally I am a low round count shooter with .22, and I always have been - and I mean MAYBE a brick a year. I reload and prefer to shoot centerfire calibers. I do have a question for you 22lr, when your limited market goes away for the one item you are selling what will you move on to?

If you don't want to pay the price, don't buy. I have been looking for 22 for quite a while, and my time and gas are worth something. If I can find a brick for around $40, I buy it. Shame on me. But as stated before, my time and gas in my truck adds up as well. The shortage, for whatever reason, is REAL. I can find 9mm, .223 and 762x39 all day long. And I would argue that those calibers are almost as popular as .22.

I walked into Sisters Bi-Mart a couple weeks ago and as usual, expecting the usual "no" response, I boringly asked if there was any bulk .22 ammo. The guy behind the counter sheepishly reached down and produced a brick of Remington stuff. I paid $28 for it. It is hit and miss but it comes around. You just have to keep looking. I have yet to see any of that great Federal stuff. What a sorry state of affairs! I'm sure it has nothing to do with the government.

I don't know why. It was under the counter and not visible. He tightened up when I asked though. I just took it and paid and left. A brick is a brick these days.

I have to say this is an interesting thread. The hypocrisy is rather entertaining. While I would never buy 22 ammo at "scalper" level prices to insinuate that anything other than supply and demand is at work goes against every anti-government, "I'm a conservative capitalist," statement ever made by many who have posted on this topic. How can anyone pass judgement on this enterprise? Are we in the middle of active door to door fighting that requires ammo? What moral code is being broken?

I am missing the hypocrisy you're speaking of. Since hypocrisy is saying one thing and doing something else, how are people being hypocritical? If you say you are for capitalism, that doesn't mean you have to like the results of people exercising it. I support the rights of the airlines, for example, to charge the ridiculous fees they do, but I don't like it, and I don't support it with my money unless I simply have no other choice. What would be hypocritical in this instance is if I said I support capitalism then told this guy he had no right to do what he's doing. I'm saying I don't like it and won't support it with my money, but he still has the right to do it. That's not hypocrisy. As for passing judgement, everyone gets a say in these matters. I pass judgement every time I walk away from a bad deal and choose not to give them my hard earned cash. But I don't tell them they don't have the right to do it.

Want another example? How about saying you won't pay excessive $$ for ammo on a forum then you go out and do it anyway - that's hypocritical.

Now, for that ammo you have for sale, will you take $300 for it? :rolleyes:

I would like to people to understand that ironically and sadly it felt that I felt compelled to create a duplicate account because I have received death threats from people in the firearm community because of making .22LR sales of stocked inventory that I had.

I just felt that people don't need to be driving by my house and slashing my tires.

Ironically, if places like Walmart sold 22lr for true market value "scalpers" would not exist.

Let the flaming start if you wish

Sincerely, 22lr

You "Felt the need" to create a duplicate account?.... Yea you must be doing nothing wrong.

Fear of personal damage?... Yep this is what honest people fear too...

You really think your the market barometer? You are the reason scalpers exist don't fool yourself or us we are not buying it your load of crap.

You have the rationale of a meth addict, Seek help.

Edited: Personal Attack - Joe Link

Last edited by a moderator:
The so called .22lr shortage is not a problem in Canada. Most likely due to them being level headed and not having scalpers and hoarders, like the idiots we have in the grand old USA.

Below is a post from a Canadian from another forum from last year.....

Here in Canada 22lr is plentiful. The local Cabela's here in Edmonton has pallets of it sitting out. They have:

Winchester Wildcat bulk
Winchester Bushman by the brick
Winchester M22 1000rd
Winchester 333/555
Federal 525
Federal Ammo can with bulk 2100 rds
CCI 375rd boxes mini mags
CCI trays mini mags
CCI standard velocity
CCI subsonic
CCI segmented hollow point
CCI quiet
CCI quiet segmented hollow point
American Eagle
Federal Match
Federal target
three types of federal blue box 50rd boxes
a bunch of Remington fodder that no one cares about.

I'm sure there's more that I can't remember.

So there's no shortage here yet. We do know that one will come. Not because there's increased demand, but simply because we will not be able to resupply from south of the border (the UA).

I've been using this opportunity to stock up. I've gotten several thousand lately. I plan to reach 10,000 rounds before the shortage hits here. I shoot about 6000 per year so that should be a good safety.

The cost is $19.99Cdn for 500 rds.

photo_3.jpg
photo_4.jpg photo_5.jpg

I would like to people to understand that ironically and sadly it felt that I felt compelled to create a duplicate account because I have received death threats from people in the firearm community because of making .22LR sales of stocked inventory that I had.
Me selling is the difference between shooting or not shooting for the next 6 months for those that value .22lr more. And always, like I said before, at a much less price than if they were to buy it elsewhere.
I despise death threats as much as anyone else, but multiple accounts are expressly prohibited per the Rules page.

"9. The creation or use of more than one account is prohibited.
No member is to create or use more than one account, for any reason. No member is allowed to use the account of another member for any purpose."

You cannot know that the person buying it from you @ $46 won't flip it somewhere else for $90.
I am missing the hypocrisy you're speaking of. Since hypocrisy is saying one thing and doing something else, how are people being hypocritical? If you say you are for capitalism, that doesn't mean you have to like the results of people exercising it. I support the rights of the airlines, for example, to charge the ridiculous fees they do, but I don't like it, and I don't support it with my money unless I simply have no other choice.
Maybe the hypocrisy he's talking about is the fact that some still think that it's only the sellers who are responsible for the shortage. In any free market system like we have, it takes two to tango. There are many factors outside of just the scalpers that are helping to create the shortage. Perhaps hypocrisy is not the right word, but it would be inconsistent, in my view, to extol the virtues of capitalism without recognizing the role of buyers in the market. They, too, are culpable of what's happening.
Do the manufacturers who continue to advertise their .22 guns on the "economical" nature of the caliber deserve some blame? How about the ammo manufacturers who haven't added manufacturing lines? How about the gun reviewers who rarely mention the shortage? [Guns & Ammo did an introduction video of CCI suppressor ammo and said it is currently on the shelves for about $3/box. What planet are they living on?] How about the Obama administration? They didn't seem to budge during the Giffords shooting, nor the Colorado theater shooting. [I think the Reagan administration took more action on guns.] It took the killing of innocent kids to get them to move. Is Adam Lanza even partially culpable for current market conditions?

The Canadian example is a sobering point. When looking for CCI Stingers, it turns out the only stores with any regular supply are Canadian Tire stores, which are now branching out to become general merchandise stores. Would be nice to pick up some ammo while getting your tires rotated. They do have stricter purchasing requirements, however.

The problem in Canada according to my uncle is not many people have guns due to registration cost of each weapon per year. ..its in all the stores there just isn't much demand...amd most people dont have money to blow at fun stuff anyway there...other than skiing maybe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top