JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just ran into a man open carrying in Safeway and natural my instinct is to be scared and feel threatened. Wait. I'm not a snowflake. No, my first instinct is to admire what gun they're carrying and start a conversation because I like talking about guns. For those of you that open carry or get caught by another gun person conceal carrying, and they start talking about the gun your carrying, is that a no no? The gentleman I started talking to seemed upset and short answered and uncomfortable talking about it in public and pulled his shirt over his gun which hid nothing. Should I stop talking about guns with people in public and just let them go about their day? Or is it alright to talk to you guys? Don't want to piss people off in the gun community by making them uncomfortable to carry in public. Thanks!

I'm thinking that maybe a smile and a nod would have been sufficient . While your intentions were good, you don't know how he felt about being approached or what his threat threshold was. This guy didn't know you from Antifa and I'm not surprised that you made him nervous, no matter how disarming you were trying to be. It could very well have been his first time doing OC and he was not on his A game.
Thus the risks with open carry. If you do it, are you prepared to deal with strangers trying to make conversation with you? Aside from making yourself a target for criminals, you could find yourself surrounded by some SJW flash mob before you left the store. Just things to consider while doing the OC thing.

That makes sense, but my wife pointed out that I was wearing my Oregunian hat. But I think you make a good point. From now on I will just smile and ask how his day is going.

Given my current state of mind and thoughts on our eroding liberties, I would open carry were it not for not wanting to draw attention to my home, or my unarmed wife if the tweakers figure out I have bubblegum they want.

I also live in a small community and I cannot afford to alienate our customer base. It is not just me I need to think about.

I figure your contact, was sort of like the Wal Mart greeter. The first couple of times.....you're surprised.

Only Wally...... ain't so friendly anymore.

Aloha, Mark

I was actually gonna ask this type of question. I spotted a concealed carry at the zoo once and felt like giving him a fist bump or a simple "carry on, sir." Is it really weird if someone gave you kudos out in public?

Given my current state of mind and thoughts on our eroding liberties, I would open carry were it not for not wanting to draw attention to my home, or my unarmed wife if the tweakers figure out I have bubblegum they want.

I also live in a small community and I cannot afford to alienate our customer base. It is not just me I need to think about.
If you lived in Montana or Idaho it would be a different story. Look at the element that surrounds us here in the PNW. Choose your battles is all I'm saying.

For a LONG time when in AZ we could not get a CC law but open was fine. When I did I got a LOT of comments. Some were good, most were not. So it was "uncomfortable" when someone would mention it. So I often probably acted like I did not want to talk too. 99% of the time with me it was a 1911. I have always loved the belt slide. I lost track of the "Hey, the hammer is back on that gun"! Then something along the lines of "you're going to blow your leg off" and such. :mad:

I couldn't tell you how many times some one commented on a cocked and locked 1911 on my hip and all those other ignorant comments the un informed and Non Gun types spouted off all the time! Open carry is very common in my normal A.O, but the flat landers and city folk are not welcoming of open carry! Sucks to be them, but it is what it is!

I would never approach someone who's carrying just on the basis of them carrying...

I personally don't OC but on some chance someone came up to me and started to talk to me about a perceived printing and wanted to talk guns.... I'd look at you like you're nuts!

I've seen a few OC around and while it's noticed, I have never felt the desire or need to approach the person and small talk... maybe a head nod at most... and carry on with my business...

As noted above, I live in the PNW.

I figure anyone OC'ing around here is making a statement.

"Leave me alone." seems a little harsh to presume.

But, "Respect my personal space." is almost self evident, innit?;)

Any time I see someone carrying anything, I'm very tempted to talk to them about it but I always choose not to because if I were seen carrying, I wouldn't want to be addressed either. Golden rule kind of thing.

My assless chaps keeps people from talking to me. Highly recommended.
It's prolly the brown saddle stains on your skivvies that keep them at a distance. Bare cheeks would be a magnet in Portland.

The gentleman I started talking to seemed upset and short answered and uncomfortable talking about it in public and pulled his shirt over his gun which hid nothing.
I don't recommend re-enacting the cucumber scene from Animal House on dudes wearing phallic symbols on their hip.:D

Yah, a nod or perhaps a thumbs up is all I do, if that. No idea on if the person could be having just a bad day or not.

I got spotted early on after we got our CHLs, by a Salem COSTCO greeter. My shirt had flipped. He simply said "nice gun", I said "thanks" and flipped my shirt back. Went about our shop.

We hardly ever open carry out and about shopping/errands and such. However have done quite a bit open carry day hikes/camping & such. Almost always open carry at home, but not around the neighborhood much.

No problem whatsoever with folks who do open carry every day, that's there choice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top