JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
okay. so I asked the peeps on OpenCarry.org and got this response. Seems like it's all good to OC with a CHL from their response

<broken link removed>

Alot of you already know this... I don't listen, I know...

Nobody listens to me... But hey that's okay as long as you look it up instead. :s0155:

FWIW I specifically asked this question to the instructor durring my class because quite frankly it didn't make any sense. It is brandishing that is illegal not concealing badly or simply choosing to open carry that day. There is a big difference when you think about it.

Didn't say there was a law Keane...

brandishing

Pronunciation: \&#712;bran-dish\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English braundisshen, from Anglo-French brandiss-, stem of brandir, from brant, braund sword, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English brand
Date: 14th century
1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Threatening behaviour is illegal everwhere Keane. You can't just go around threatening anybody you want with a firearm and it is generally considered a threat when somebody intentionally reveals there concealed handgun. Bottomline here is don't threaten. If you are justified, pull it and use it to defend yourself or somebody else but make sure your justified. Brandishing can and will land you in jail because it is considered an assault

assault

A crime that occurs when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened. Actual physical contact is not necessary; threatening gestures that would alarm any reasonable person can constitute an assault.

And if you still don't believe me you are welcome to try it out yourself but I sincerly hope you don't get shot or sent to jail in the process.

Correct, I just wanted to make sure you aren't confusing it with what many states consider 'brandishing', which is often abused to punish those who open carry. There are many police officers in non-free states that use the 'brandishing' laws (a codified 'weaker' version of assault, where very little threatening manner is required) to arrest those who unintentionally reveal their firearms.

The only thing I disagree with is "it is generally considered a threat when somebody intentionally reveals there concealed handgun". I think this only applies if the person is revealing the weapon with the intent to threaten. The INTENT is the big portion of what is considered assault in this case.

The only thing I disagree with is "it is generally considered a threat when somebody intentionally reveals there concealed handgun". I think this only applies if the person is revealing the weapon with the intent to threaten. The INTENT is the big portion of what is considered assault in this case.
True! I was in fact attempting to ease worries but not condone an agressive behaviour at the same time.

Anyone know about open carry in Washington, specifically any of the cities (besides Seattle.....) with or without the CPL? Don't have mine yet, though I will do that soon. Wondering about calmly walking about town with a fine revolver on my hip.......

Open carry is legal in WA and does not require any license, registration, or other governmental approval. You must be 21 years old and legally able to possess a firearm (can't be a felon or a wacko). The state constitution preempts ALL local jurisdictions (cities, towns, counties, villages, etc.) from enacting gun laws of their own.

Seattle Mayor Nickels has spent the last couple of years trying to ban guns from city property in spite of the fact that the state's Attorney General has told him "No, you worthless ****, you CAN'T DO IT." I may be paraphrasing a bit there.

There are places where you cannot carry at all such as schools, jails, and courthouses. Openly carrying a pistol in a holster in WA state does not count as "brandishing."

Having said that, you can still expect to be the subject of 911 calls and will inevitably be approached by police. Most LE agencies in WA have received training bulletins regarding the legality of open carry so you'll get anything from a friendly chat to confrontational words depending on the officer.

In order to carry a pistol on your person (concealed or not) while in a vehicle, you MUST have a concealed pistol license. Otherwise, the weapon must be stored out of immediate reach and, I believe, unloaded.

Here are some FAQs on carrying in WA state:
<broken link removed>

Open carry pamphlet in pdf form:
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class