JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This 911 call is apparently from someone who was outside the Jack in the Box when it all happened. There may yet be another 911 recording from a customer who was inside, at least according to the reports.

A statement by a Jack in the Box executive;
Brian Luscomb, vice president of corporate communications for Jack in the Box, told the New York Times this evening, "Our employees told us that they did not hide in the freezer."
http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/the-gun-report-may-9-2014/
(article update at the very bottom)

I support open carry as well but there is a time and place for everything. We would all like for people to grow accustomed to open carry, whether handgun or rifle. But the truth of the matter is the vast majority of people will not grow accustomed to open carry without it being common practice. Unfortunately, I just don't see that happening. It is a good theory, but in actuality MANY more people would have to open carry everyday for it to make a difference in today's society. I would love for things to be different, but the realist in me says it's just not going to happen.

I hate these threads due mostly to the crazy murca 2nd amendment screaming they descend into :(

Let me state a few things first;
1) I fully support the 2nd Amendment
2) I support open carry
3) I support concealed carry
4) I think that many supporters of the above, don't really live the real world.

How many times have you come away from an argument, and thought, crap, i should have said 'X' or i could have answered/told them 'Y' ??

Yeah, mainly when i was younger.

People who want to use their 2nd amendment and carry a rifle downtown just because it's their right, are in the same vain.

Yes it's legal
Yes it's their right
No, it's not a good idea
No, it's not needed
No, it's not doing our cause *ANY* favours, seriously, on what planet do you think it will help?

Honestly, whether it's allowed or our right, we live in a world where the sheeple are scared, if we continue to scare them, it's guaranteed to work against us.
A more sensible move, if you're just puttering about, is a pistol, as even for us, that's more appropriate and wouldn't alarm people the same way.

This episode is really a Texas thing. It's illegal to open carry a pistol, except on your property or while hunting. The only way to carry a pistol in Texas is through the CHL program, and have fun at that. 16 hours in a class, trip to the range with grandma and her 44 mag, and a 6+ month wait for the license to show up.

BUT it is perfectly legal to carry long guns of any sort, open or concealed. My dad used to carry a cut down Remington 870 on a single point sling under his over coat before the CHL program came around.

There is also a 'carrying in a manner calculated to incite panic' clause that the two douches with the AR across the chest would fall into. Surprised they didn't get cited for that one.

[quote="F2CMaDMaXX, post: 1103315, member: 31807:(
Honestly, whether it's allowed or our right, we live in a world where the sheeple are scared, if we continue to scare them, it's guaranteed to work against us.
A more sensible move, if you're just puttering about, is a pistol, as even for us, that's more appropriate and wouldn't alarm people the same way.[/quote]
I wish i could like this post twice....

This episode is really a Texas thing. It's illegal to open carry a pistol, except on your property or while hunting. The only way to carry a pistol in Texas is through the CHL program, and have fun at that. 16 hours in a class, trip to the range with grandma and her 44 mag, and a 6+ month wait for the license to show up.

BUT it is perfectly legal to carry long guns of any sort, open or concealed. My dad used to carry a cut down Remington 870 on a single point sling under his over coat before the CHL program came around.

There is also a 'carrying in a manner calculated to incite panic' clause that the two douches with the AR across the chest would fall into. Surprised they didn't get cited for that one.

Thanks for the added insight, it goes to help explain this situation further.
The final photo is (per the article) the posed picture with the manager/staff (as quoted) so who knows, i'd imagine some kind of sling change was conducted, but you hit the nail on the head with the incite panic portion.

I hate these threads due mostly to the crazy murca 2nd amendment screaming they descend into :(

Let me state a few things first;
1) I fully support the 2nd Amendment
2) I support open carry
3) I support concealed carry
4) I think that many supporters of the above, don't really live the real world.

How many times have you come away from an argument, and thought, crap, i should have said 'X' or i could have answered/told them 'Y' ??

Yeah, mainly when i was younger.

People who want to use their 2nd amendment and carry a rifle downtown just because it's their right, are in the same vain.

Yes it's legal
Yes it's their right
No, it's not a good idea
No, it's not needed
No, it's not doing our cause *ANY* favours, seriously, on what planet do you think it will help?

A more sensible move, if you're just puttering about, is a pistol, as even for us, that's more appropriate and wouldn't alarm people the same way.
Even in the depths of Africa,guys running around town with rifles on incite panic.
Only place I have seen,yes on you tube,lol, that people don't care is in russia,where they shoot at each other in traffic and others laugh about it.

The LAST people I want representing the open carry cause is the idiots with their drop rigs,cammo and long guns at the pro gun rallies.
And texan,WTF did your grandaddy live he needed a shot gun for a carry weapon?

I am pro 2nd amendment and I support the right to open carry....but if I am at a mall or in a restaurant with my family and some guy comes in carrying an AR-15 I will probably pack up and take my family elsewhere. Yes, the odds are that he is harmless and just doing it as a form of protest speech but those still aren't odds I'd care to bet my family's life against.

If the intent of the open carry crowd is to "normalize" the sight of guns in public and to advocate for the right of people to carry guns for self defense, then it is simply counter-productive to carry AR-15's for that purpose. Handguns are defensive weapons; AR-15's are offensive weapons under most realistic conditions and are not in any way suitable or necessary for civilian self defense in most public areas.

I dream of a world in which people will be judged by the content of their character rather than their outward appearance and the trappings they choose to adorn themselves with. Unfortunately this is still a world where we are only accepting of others that fit into our preconceived notion of normal and acceptable.
Use of deadly force rules against someone packing an AR-15 are the same regardless of if that person is wearing a police uniform or flip-flops.

On a related note, how many of us have been muzzled by people wearing shoulder harnesses and don't even know it? If Nutnfancy walked in and sat down with his back to you then you'd know that you are being muzzled and could gun him down with righteous prejudice.

And texan,WTF did your grandaddy live he needed a shot gun for a carry weapon?

Lots of illegals where I'm from and they don't mind robbing you blind, and then stabbing/shooting you anyways for good measure.

It's not that he needed the shotgun, it's that there was only two choices. Rifle slung across the back, of the cut-down shotgun under the jacket. It was illegal to carry a pistol in any manner for a while in Texas, though they never outlawed the carry of long-guns, both concealed or open.

I fully support the right of citizens to open carry, and have done so myself on a couple of occasion, but for the most part, I think it is detrimental to our cause.
This. ^^

Even when I was a kid, which was 5 decades ago, walking around downtown with a rifle outside a carrying case would probably get you stopped by the cops. There is little reason to be carrying a rifle, especially something like an AR, in an urban environment in the USA. So you can understand why, given all the publicity about incidences of some crazy doing a mass shooting, a person seeing someone carrying an AR into a fast food restaurant would cause them to at least be nervous or even call the police.

After all, what is the more likely scenario?

That the person with the AR is just looking to make a political statement, or is some crazy looking to shoot up everybody?

So yes, invoking panic by carrying an AR into a fast food restaurant is going to be detrimental to our rights in any number of ways and IMO is just plain idiotic.

Hi folks, new guy here and this is my first post.

I have a concealed carry permit and am a business owner. The only person on this planet who knows I am carrying is my wife. There have been numerous break-ins of homes and a few armed robberies of businesses in my community. We are the only ones who work at our shop. If one (or more) people came into our shop open carrying firearms that are not holstered (like rifles) whom I do not know, they run the serious risk of getting killed. It is not smart to do that type of thing unannounced and without permission and cooperation. It certainly isn't right to force your opinion in that manner on an unsuspecting business and it's customers. It also does not educate anyone, or change anyone's mind on the subject, it just scares people.

Now, having said that. My wife and I have thought of having an open carry day at our business, but don't think our sheeple community could handle it. It could permanently cost us too much in customers ie;dollars to do this. But still, we are mulling it over, mostly because it brings a smile (ok, evil grin) to my face to think about it.

Anyhow, that's just my very humble opinion and perspective.
Ikemay

I am not going to defend myself with "first off I fully support 2A rights", I wouldn't be a member here if I didn't. If I and my family are(edited from and) sitting in a public establishment of some sort (diner, movie theatre, park, etc.) and I see some Joe Schmuckateli walking around with an AR stacked and racked (displayed in the picture on the far left) I am going to be put a little on guard. I agree with the statement made earlier about those people probably being normal folks, they might even be the nicest guy you met in your life. I also agree that I am not willing to bet the lives of my family and friends being around this situation. It is even part of the NRA training, firearms are a last resort know when you see a bad situation and remove yourself from it before it escalates.

Not sure if you were taking a jab at my post, but i agree with what you're saying. I just see too many of this type of thread and despite the location of the thread, you still get called out...

The TX people are demonstrating in order to have Texas laws on open carry of PISTOLS (currently illegal) legalized.

That's what has not been covered in one single new item on this non-story that I've seen.

In general, I think OC of rifles merely incites fear, is probably only very slightly better than being unarmed in any actual crime scenario and scares the Hell out of the general populace. Therefore in general, I'm opposed.

But the TX Open-Carry people are demonstrating specifically to show how STUPID TX law is. (It's stupid in a lot more ways, TX is FAR from being gun-friendly).

Hard to argue with TX O/C's idea. It's the only way to get anyone's attention to the ridiculous state of TX gun laws. (Which it HAS, after the election, the Governor -Elect stated he'd support a law to allow O/C of pistols, currently banned under state law).

I think TX-O/C just won their argument.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads