JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanna have a discussion on open carry in Oregon come in when ever you feel the need to.
I'm currently in the delay process of purchasing a new hand gun and when I am approved I plan on open carrying until I obtain a ccw but I don't know how the public will react. I'm a black male 21 in college and want to carry for protection. I'm not looking for trouble but behoove the world it's not all Sun shine and roses.
You may argue the tactical advantage that comes with concealment but I'm simply not able to cc at the time. Let us all come together as gun lovers and enjoy this forum.

Also LEO open carry, I might be more scared of them, than a civilian who open carries.... To be honest! Because LEO need just a simple threat or object that looks nothing like a gun to "protect" themselves.

Does it really matter I don't break the law so if I'm stopped what's the problem a black man with a gun and I'm considered dangerous???

Race has nothing to do with it. The general public is scared of guns and those that open carry. I'm just saying it is not viewed favorably by the public and you will probably be hassled over it.

Race has nothing to do with it. The general public is scared of guns and those that open carry. I'm just saying it is not viewed favorably by the public and you will probably be hassled over it.

I understand all that I just have to ask my self this question as a person of color will people and LEO's jump my case based solely off this. And should I bother OC or wait to cc.and if I'm cc'ing and I am spotted will the spotters reaction be any different if I was oc or cc

They will not react favorably. Good luck with that.

Really?

I open carry 95% of the time...haven't been the past 3 days since my jacket rides over my pistol a little more comfortably...but...

Far more often than not I get a 'are you a cop?' which is followed by 'we can do that?' which leads to a 'I'm going to get my CHL/take a course/start carrying'

I've been open carrying for about a year, mainly because inside-the-waistband irritates me to no end, and carry outside-the-waistband concealed has lead to quite a few holes in my shirts from rear sights. After all this time I can count the amount of negative encounters on one finger.

PCC South-East center, and I wouldn't even call it bad. Security got called for a 'man with a gun' by some child, showed up, told the child I had the right, and there was nothing worth calling them about, and then politely ASKED if I would conceal it. I obliged for the day, but never had another run in.

TLDR; I open carry alot, and have no problems...go for it!

Really?

I open carry 95% of the time...haven't been the past 3 days since my jacket rides over my pistol a little more comfortably...but...

Far more often than not I get a 'are you a cop?' which is followed by 'we can do that?' which leads to a 'I'm going to get my CHL/take a course/start carrying'

I've been open carrying for about a year, mainly because inside-the-waistband irritates me to no end, and carry outside-the-waistband concealed has lead to quite a few holes in my shirts from rear sights. After all this time I can count the amount of negative encounters on one finger.

PCC South-East center, and I wouldn't even call it bad. Security got called for a 'man with a gun' by some child, showed up, told the child I had the right, and there was nothing worth calling them about, and then politely ASKED if I would conceal it. I obliged for the day, but never had another run in.

TLDR; I open carry alot, and have no problems...go for it!

Ah, hassling from the general public. You call having security called on you a favorable public reaction? Not sure how you can say you got hassled and then state no problems, but OK.

I wasn't telling him to not, just be prepared for a situation like the above. His demeanor will mean quite a bit in a situation similar to yours. Being mentally prepared for such a circumstance would be to his advantage.

On another note to address the 'tactical concealed' guys....not trying to discredit anyone though

I've actually been in a firefight....quite a few to tell the truth. And everyone I had to shoot at had the opportunity to either conceal their firearm, or openly carry it, yet the only ones I ever registered were the ones actively engaged in the firefight. I remember watching a post contact film that someone shot on a helmet cam, and saw two guys standing there, with AK's across their chest that I never even registered as a threat.

When the fecal matter hits the rotary oscillator the adrenaline dump that follows creates quite a few phenomena. One being tunnel vision on your target. So that active shooter scenario that everyone thinks about doesn't really play to that tune to well. The shooter is just going to fixate on whoever crosses in front of him, and not scan hips for weapons.

BUT, I also do see the benefit that street thug Jo'ha'quim won't notice that you have a firearm, and won't try to take it in a mugging/assault. But that can also be diffused through situational awareness, and positive retention holsters.

Sorry for thread hi-jack

They will not react favorably. Good luck with that.

Why?

I am assuming because he is young and black?

I think that if you carry yourself like you are doing nothing wrong and you dress in a respectable manner, 9 out of 10 people wont notice you are armed and the other 10% wont care, no matter what color you are.

Just in case, remember the questions "Am I being detained?" and "What reasonable suspicion do you have that I committed a crime?"

I understand I got hassled, but honestly the security was more upset that they got called out there for that than anything. The caller got more hassling than I did in that instance..

But demeanor does count. More so than other factors.

LaGrand22, here is my own anecdotal understanding. This doesn't sound like your intention of course but as long as someone doesn't irrationally accuse you of creating a public disturbance your fine. I think that is the only legality issue of it.

The usual local and state regulations apply.... you said your a college student, without a CHL you cant carry a gun in any public building including colleges or universities. See ORS 166.370. How familiar are you with the carry laws?

I cant help but ask what is the "delay process" of buying a gun? Is the NICS system not responding?

Last Edited:
Practice up on weaponless defense, weapons retention and situational awareness. Some people think it's funny to try to snatch your weapon, perhaps after coldcocking you upside the grape, if it's visible.

I think public perception has a lot to do with what a person looks like. Not race, but how one presents themselves. If you look like a cop, and carry a semi auto duty type gun, I doubt many would react negatively. If your wearing baggy pants that are sagging past your ***, and flat billed cap turned sideways, you're probably going to have issues.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top