JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Open carry is legal in WA for anyone, unless it's illegal for you to own a weapon (felon, spousal abuse etc). BUT be prepared to be stopped, questioned and possibly jailed for "causing alarm" which is illegal.

I think this article should clear up your questions.
FYI - Remember in WA state you must have a CPL to carry a loaded pistol, be it revolver or semi-auto, in your car.

<broken link removed>

This is your problem with open carry:

men·ace (mns)
n.
a. A possible danger; a threat: the menace of nuclear war.
b. The act of threatening.
2. A troublesome or annoying person: a toddler who was a menace in a shop full of crystal.
v. men·aced, men·ac·ing, men·ac·es
v.tr.
1. To utter threats against.
2. To constitute a threat to; endanger.
v.intr.
To make threats.

The definition of "menacing" can be many things and dependent upon who interprets it.

I have no problems open carrying in rural parts of the state when out hunting or camping, but in town it is bound to "scare" someone.

It appears as though the agenda of the "Open Carry" crowd is to prove that they can legally do something at all costs, but just because it's legal does not mean it is in the best interest for gun owners.

[/but in town it is bound to "scare" someone.QUOTE]

But WHY?

Have they been conditioned by ther parents,teachers,meda,or is it some inharent fear.

It appears as though the agenda of the "Open Carry" crowd is to prove that they can legally do something at all costs, but just because it's legal does not mean it is in the best interest for gun owners.

I think a lot of it is use it or loose it..

[/but in town it is bound to "scare" someone.QUOTE]

But WHY?

Have they been conditioned by ther parents,teachers,meda,or is it some inharent fear.

I think a lot of it is use it or loose it..

While I agree with you on the use it or loose it theory, the problem I see is using pictures of groups of open carriers to help scare the sheeple into a statewide "gun ban" or severe restrictions.

stmcelroy's view
While I agree with you on the use it or loose it theory, the problem I see is using pictures of groups of open carriers to help scare the sheeple into a statewide "gun ban" or severe restrictions
with my
is one that to many gun owners have. They think that unless we only OC where others feel it is ok for one to do so it should be hidden because people may think there is something wrong with. As toywin12 wrote decide for yourself.
i encoruage it becuase it is more comfortable.
Remeber, though, if you carry a loaded gun in your car it is concidered to be conceled. even if you are OC outside of the car.

As a guy who both open and conceal carries (depending on circumstance) I find the whole argument about other people's concerns over rated. I don't open carry for other people, I do it because it is easier for me. Same with concealed. There are places I WON'T open carry because it is easier FOR ME. Not that I can't, but I don't WANT the hassles of explaining to policemen that it isn't illegal. Plus, I don't want to get "Birked"...

The RCW actually uses the phrase "warrants alarm for the safety of other persons". Causing alarm is not illegal. There is also no mention of menacing in the state statute.

It is lawful to open carry in Wa. without a permit but you may not carry loaded in a vehicle. Unloading and loading a firearm in public may warrant cause for alarm as it is still an unsettled issue.

Here is a link to a bunch of good info about carrying a firearm in Wa., be it concealed or open.
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top