Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

open carry washington

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pokerace, Aug 22, 2011.

1. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

I have done a search but could not find an answer..

Can I as an Oregonian open carry in Washington..

2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Open carry is legal in WA for anyone, unless it's illegal for you to own a weapon (felon, spousal abuse etc). BUT be prepared to be stopped, questioned and possibly jailed for "causing alarm" which is illegal.

3. pokerace

are you saying that the charge causing alarm is an illegal charge???

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

No, causing alarm is illegal and that's the charge.

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I think this article should clear up your questions.
    FYI - Remember in WA state you must have a CPL to carry a loaded pistol, be it revolver or semi-auto, in your car.

Washington  Summary

6. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

This is your problem with open carry:

The definition of "menacing" can be many things and dependent upon who interprets it.

I have no problems open carrying in rural parts of the state when out hunting or camping, but in town it is bound to "scare" someone.

It appears as though the agenda of the "Open Carry" crowd is to prove that they can legally do something at all costs, but just because it's legal does not mean it is in the best interest for gun owners.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. pokerace

8. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

9. toywin12

toywin12 Tacoma, Washington Member

Visit the Washington forum at Opencarry.org and you can research and judge for yourself the positives and negatives of OC...

10. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

stmcelroy's view
    with my
    is one that to many gun owners have. They think that unless we only OC where others feel it is ok for one to do so it should be hidden because people may think there is something wrong with. As toywin12 wrote decide for yourself.
    i encoruage it becuase it is more comfortable.
    Remeber, though, if you carry a loaded gun in your car it is concidered to be conceled. even if you are OC outside of the car.

11. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

As a guy who both open and conceal carries (depending on circumstance) I find the whole argument about other people's concerns over rated. I don't open carry for other people, I do it because it is easier for me. Same with concealed. There are places I WON'T open carry because it is easier FOR ME. Not that I can't, but I don't WANT the hassles of explaining to policemen that it isn't illegal. Plus, I don't want to get "Birked"...

12. joeroket

joeroket Everett,Wa. Active Member

The RCW actually uses the phrase "warrants alarm for the safety of other persons". Causing alarm is not illegal. There is also no mention of menacing in the state statute.

It is lawful to open carry in Wa. without a permit but you may not carry loaded in a vehicle. Unloading and loading a firearm in public may warrant cause for alarm as it is still an unsettled issue.

Here is a link to a bunch of good info about carrying a firearm in Wa., be it concealed or open.
    NorthWest Citizens Defense League - Downloads