JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I got my CHL to avoid uncomfortable situations with LEO's. I wouldn't open carry unless I was somewhere in the woods away from people. I like to be unnoticed.
However, I fully support a persons right to CO. Also I would hate to lose the right to do so if I felt the need.
I plan on getting the extension from what is it Utah? That allows you to CC in 30+ states.
As I do travel often and like the feeling of added security. Both with the gun and the license.

I do have my CPL, but have never been asked for it. The CPL is only for winter when I wear a coat. I will not dress for my carry.

As for enounters with LE, only one, in over 40 years, and it was not an uncomfortable encounter, lasted a whole two words...him: "Hunting?" Me: "yep"

There are five cities in Oregon that have local ordinances prohibiting open carry. They are Portland, Eugene, Salem, Gresham, and Independence. None of those ordinances apply to CHL holders.

If you think there is no need....they've won already!

You've bought their argument and that’s the 1st steps in the erosion of our rights. I agree that we shouldn’t make an attempt to be “obnoxious”. But exercising a perfectly legal right is only “obnoxious” because we buy into the premise that there is something wrong.

OC or CC we must support each other or we are ALL destined to lose our rights.

Open carry is easy to attack because it is overt in nature but don't BS yourself, concealed carry is just as much on the hit list as OC. OC is just an easier target..........until its gone.

Then we're next!

I like O.F.F. s motto. "Gun Rights, No Compromise".

There are five cities in Oregon that have local ordinances prohibiting open carry. They are Portland, Eugene, Salem, Gresham, and Independence. None of those ordinances apply to CHL holders.

You are missing Beaverton and Tigard. I checked Eugene's city code and didn't find open carry restrictions. Perhaps you can cite the Gresham one ?

If you think there is no need....they've won already!

You've bought their argument and that’s the 1st steps in the erosion of our rights. I agree that we shouldn’t make an attempt to be “obnoxious”. But exercising a perfectly legal right is only “obnoxious” because we buy into the premise that there is something wrong.

OC or CC we must support each other or we are ALL destined to lose our rights.

Open carry is easy to attack because it is overt in nature but don't BS yourself, concealed carry is just as much on the hit list as OC. OC is just an easier target..........until its gone.

Then we're next!

I like O.F.F. s motto. "Gun Rights, No Compromise".

There is no evidence that CC is under attack, but there is evidence to the contrary - in last 20 years we went from virtually no issue to shall issue in more than 80% of the states, and still getting more ground every year.

Since when has Gresham had a ban of Loaded firearms? Last time I checked there was no such thing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

You got it a bit off there: Eugene and Gresham do not have any restrictions, but you can add Tigard, Oregon City, Astoria, And though I have not verified it, Newport.

You got it a bit off there: Eugene and Gresham do not have any restrictions, but you can add Tigard, Oregon City, Astoria, And though I have not verified it, Newport.

Seems to be correct :

CHAPTER 8.20
OFFENSES
Weapons
A. Loaded firearms and other weapons prohibited. No
person may carry a loaded firearm, spring or air-actuated
gun or rifle, or any other weapon that propels a projective
by use of gunpowder or other explosive, jet, or rocket
propulsion in any place open to the public, except for:
1. Law enforcement officers.
2. Members of the military in performance of official
duties.
3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
4. Persons authorized under state law to have loaded
weapons in court facilities, while they are in or
traveling to court facilities.

http://www.thecityofnewport.net/dept/adm/documents/NewportMunicipalCode.pdf

Man, I can't find a straight answer anywhere now, and I can't turn up the link where I got that (apparently bad) info either.
I do see that OC is indeed legal in Eugene without a CHL.
And:
Also, state statutes do allow cities and counties to impose ordinances that prohibit or restrict the possession of loaded firearms in public places. About a half-dozen cities have done that, including Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem and Independence.
<broken link removed>

There's this:
Astoria - 5.010(A) No carry in park, loaded or not

Off-limits to non-licensed persons:
-Public Schools
-Public buildings
Hospital, Capitol building, College/
University, City Hall, etc
<broken link removed>
but I have no way to verify it.

What would be nice is to start a new thread, where every OR forum member would report on his own city, with citation to the city code. Here is the Tigard btw :

7.32.125 Carrying Loaded Firearms.

As used in this section, "firearm" means a
pistol, revolver, gun, rifle or other mechanism,
including a miniature weapon which projects a
missile or shot by force of gunpowder or any
other explosive, or by spring or by compressed
air.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to possess a
firearm in a public place as that term is defined in
ORS 161.015 unless all ammunition has been
removed from the chamber and from the cylinder,
clip or magazine.
This section does not apply to
or affect:

(1) a law enforcement officer in the
performance of official duty;

(2) a member of the military in the
performance of official duty;

(3) a person licensed to carry a
concealed handgun;

http://www.tigard-or.gov/business/municipal_code/docs/07-032.pdf

Oregon city :

9.24.020 - Carrying or discharge of weapons.

A.

It is unlawful for any person to carry a firearm, loaded or unloaded, in a park, school ground or public building.

B.

It is unlawful for any person on a public street or in a public place to carry a firearm upon his person, or in a vehicle under his control or in which he is an occupant, unless all ammunition has been removed from the chamber and from the cylinder, clip or magazine.

C.

It is unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm within the boundaries of the city.

D.

The prohibitions in subsections A, B and C of this section do not apply to a peace officer; to any government employee authorized or required by his employment or office to carry or use firearms; or to any person having a valid permit issued to him by lawful authority to carry or use firearms.

Chapter 9.24 - WEAPONS

For someone who does not have a CHL in Oregon..... I would just get the CHL and carry anywhere in the state, in public that is. On private property... I would still carry unless they ask me not to. I had a Beaverton police Sgt. tell me that Beaverton allows open carry. I don't know if he meant with or without a CHL... but they sure picked on me knowing that I was licensed to conceal carry when I open carried. I guess that falls under DON'T ASK POLICE FOR LEGAL ADVICE lol. The only place I would probably avoid OCing is on pubic school property. Yes you can legally OC from what I understand but I just can't see that ending well. I was a mile away from Beaverton High School when the Waffen SS, oh sorry I mean Beaverton Police decided to mess with me for OCing in public walking to a store, telling me I was close to a school blah blah blah.... well no kidding I was close but I was not on school grounds. So I am all for OCing in public but now that they passed the NDAA... I wonder how that could effect someone who decided to OC that caused the sheep in public to be terrified.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top