JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok everyone looking for a little clarification on some concerns I have about open carrying, I'm currently in the process of getting my cwp but until then I plan to start open carrying. I live in Washington in the Spokane area, so first when open carrying what's legal and not? Can I carry with one in the chamber or not, also if I'm confronted by police and I have not done anything to give them reasonable suspicion do I have to present I.D. If they ask for it? Also do they have the right to check my weapon without my consent? Those are really all the concerns I have but if you feel I'm missing anything important please feel to inform me

Remember, I am NOT an attorney, have never been to law school, I am not a cop, and I didn't sleep in a Hotel last night.

Yes, you can have one in the chamber when walking around, but, if you get into a vehicle with your weapon you must unload it until you have your CPL (WA doesn't have a cwp).

Are you required to ID yourself when asked by an officer? As a general rule, yes, but that doesn't mean you are required to have ID on your person. Remember, a driver's license is a license to drive a car, not a general state ID card. If you aren't driving, you can't be forced to display a driver's license. You can be asked to ID yourself, which is your name and address. There are many OC advocates that don't carry their wallet with them.

Now, will you be hassled by cops? Regretfully, that is location dependent. Most localities are aware that OC is legal in WA, but some places (Vancouver, Bellingham) try to make it difficult by threatening, arresting or annoying lawful carriers. Be careful out there.

Remember, I am NOT an attorney, have never been to law school, I am not a cop, and I didn't sleep in a Hotel last night.

Yes, you can have one in the chamber when walking around, but, if you get into a vehicle with your weapon you must unload it until you have your CPL (WA doesn't have a cwp).

Are you required to ID yourself when asked by an officer? As a general rule, yes, but that doesn't mean you are required to have ID on your person. Remember, a driver's license is a license to drive a car, not a general state ID card. If you aren't driving, you can't be forced to display a driver's license. You can be asked to ID yourself, which is your name and address. There are many OC advocates that don't carry their wallet with them.

Now, will you be hassled by cops? Regretfully, that is location dependent. Most localities are aware that OC is legal in WA, but some places (Vancouver, Bellingham) try to make it difficult by threatening, arresting or annoying lawful carriers. Be careful out there.

You ARE NOT required to ID yourself if you aren't driving.If you are suspected of committing a crime then everything changes.
You do not have to give them any info.

Having said that,I hate it when the OCers escalate,or let the situation escalate by not just giving the officer........let me correct that....showing the officer some ID. SHOWING as to say 'look I have a CCP!' (don't start with the semantics of what the permit is called,give it a rest please)

You don't have to hand it to them,just open the wallet and show it to them.
Now as a new gun owner that has no clue to what the laws say,you might just want to play ball with them until you have your permit and have visited a lawyer that will go over the gun laws with you

You can pretend to be right and still spend the night in the pokie
Gun rights are important,learn all you can

Having said that,I hate it when the OCers escalate,or let the situation escalate by not just giving the officer........let me correct that....showing the officer some ID. SHOWING as to say 'look I have a CCP!' (don't start with the semantics of what the permit is called,give it a rest please)

I also hate it when the police escalate things and force people to ID themselves when they don't have a legitimate reason to even ask. Open carry is NOT a crime, so by itself does not constitute lawful reason to ID a person. (There is that whole thing about a Terry stop and all...good read. FindLaw | Cases and Codes)

(For those interested, Terry was convicted, he didn't win his case before the Supremes...but the case did establish the idea of "reasonable belief" that a crime was being or was about to be, committed.)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top