Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Open Carry Rights Violation

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by gnarkill, Jun 17, 2010.

1. gnarkill

gnarkill Richland, WA Member

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20100611/NEWS01/6110310/Gun-advocates-claim-police-violated-rights

Another open carry confrontation....

2. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

I hate that the police aren't educated.

If you are supposed to enforce the law........seems like a requirement would be to know the law(s).

But you never know, maybe these police officers were able to see the future and stopped these guys from becoming "extremely disgruntled" and injuring someone.

Yes thats it....pre emptive uninformed, un-educated policing.

T_H

3. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

I agree in this context, but it's impossible to know the law by heart, let alone carry it around with you...

4. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

I don't disagree with you but, one cant just assume or make up the rules you want because you have a badge.

If you don't know the law you need to find out BEFORE you just make your own interpretation on a guess.

T_H

5. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Disorderly conduct? Is that the best that ASSistant Chief had? Seems to me that educating a cop on the law is a very orderly thing for a lowly citizen to do:bluelaugh:

6. chris61182

chris61182 A little west of Portland Active Member

Not really arguing with you, but as more of a devil's advocate type thing....

Why is it then that citizens are required to know the law, and that ignorance of the law is no excuse?

7. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have pushed it that far. I would have respectfully explained the law and if I were still threatened I would have left. I would have then respectfully filed my complaints with both the chief and the city council. If necessary, then the state attorney general.

There's rarely a need to settle something like that on the spot. If the police charge you with disorderly conduct, it will probably stick because they may not tell the whole truth.

8. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

For the same reason good people die before their prime: life's not fair.

:dunno:

(But note that the victims in this case were never charged with anything, which is how it's supposed to work. Victims of police 'mistakes' who don't know their rights don't tend to fare as well.)

9. dontreadonme

dontreadonme SW Washington Member

Doesn't Open Carry just make you a target in case something bad goes down? I can exercise my 2nd Amendment right just as fully by concealing my Browning hi-power (no easy feat lol) ... I'm sure *that* topic is another thread ... so apologies in advance.