JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same thing as with handguns - certain municipalities prohibit that, but CHL provides an exemption. There definitely would be more attention from the police though :)

I've been looking around, has anyone seen information pertaining to open carry of a rifle in Oregon?

I think its ok as long as its on a sling. You probably wouldn't want to be carrying it in both hands in a ready positition :D . When i lived up in Oakridge i saw people walking around downtown all the time with a shotgun or rifle slung over the shoulder. Eugene would probably be more relaxed than portland but seeing how the officers harrassed HOSSUSMC on youtube while open carrying his handgun, I'd be weary.

Stopped for Open Carry in Eugene Oregon - YouTube

I think its ok as long as its on a sling.

Thinking and KNOWING are 2 very different things. I am not up on OR law since I do not live there.

You need to know what the actual law says (if there is one) because if the law says it is only OK on a sling then it would be illegal to ever take it off and use it................

When doing something completely legal is considered "looking for a fight", we know who's "looking for a fight" & it isn't the citizen who happens to be doing something legal.

You make a good point but I think the guy knew that it was going to get him a reaction and filming himself to prove he's a martyr seems silly to me.

Thinking and KNOWING are 2 very different things. I am not up on OR law since I do not live there.

You need to know what the actual law says (if there is one) because if the law says it is only OK on a sling then it would be illegal to ever take it off and use it................

Well Oakridge is a very small town (pop 3205) & they have 10 police officers that on a regular basis get to see people walking down their main street with rifles & shotguns slung over their shoulders. Never heard of them making any fuss towards anyone. Regardless if the law said you can have it slung over your shoulder but you can NOT take it off, in order to defend someone. People will still do the right thing & defend someone ;)

You make a good point but I think the guy knew that it was going to get him a reaction and filming himself to prove he's a martyr seems silly to me.

That guy does open carry everyday. The camera was intended for his protection against the police, way more than that gun was. When someone wants you to obey them, its best you find a way to make them obey you no less. Or else you're gonna be their new pet.

Last Edited:
Well Oakridge is a very small town (pop 3205) & they have 10 police officers that on a regular basis get to see people walking down their main street with rifles & shotguns slung over their shoulders. Never heard of them making any fuss towards anyone. Regardless if the law said you can have it slung over your shoulder but you can NOT take it off, in order to defend someone. People will still do the right thing & defend someone ;)

You completely missed the point of my post. WHERE in your laws (OR) does it say it is legal to carry a rifle slung? Which of your laws says what is and what isn't legal when carrying a firearm? Are there different laws for handguns and long guns?

Here is a hint, there is NOTHING I can find in your laws about slings, ORS Chapter 166 - Offenses Against Public Order; Firearms and Other Weapons; Racketeering - 2009 Oregon Revised Statutes

Again there is no such thing as "kind of" legal/illegal, it either is or is not and is very specific.

You completely missed the point of my post. WHERE in your laws (OR) does it say it is legal to carry a rifle slung? Which of your laws says what is and what isn't legal when carrying a firearm? Are there different laws for handguns and long guns?

Here is a hint, there is NOTHING I can find in your laws about slings, ORS Chapter 166 - Offenses Against Public Order; Firearms and Other Weapons; Racketeering - 2009 Oregon Revised Statutes

Again there is no such thing as "kind of" legal/illegal, it either is or is not and is very specific.

Great point & i agree. Everything was legal at one point before it ever got deemed illegal. So when it's not specifically considered "illegal", its not an issue.

I am not looking for a fight with the cops. Hell, I just left law enforcement. I also am not willing to back down if someone with a badge makes the wrong call. I don't give up my rights.

The question really was, however, simply curiosity. I don't really plan walking around downtown with my AK, my sidearm suffices.

When doing something completely legal is considered "looking for a fight", we know who's "looking for a fight" & it isn't the citizen who happens to be doing something legal.

When all these idiots are carrying cameras everywhere just to make videos to catch someone infringing on their rights. That lame o in Beaverton? that always is on camera with the cops called on him?
I just feel if you are filming your every move,you are looking for bubblegum to happen.

YMMV

That guy does open carry everyday. The camera was intended for his protection against the police, way more than that gun was. When someone wants you to obey them, its best you find a way to make them obey you no less. Or else you're gonna be their new pet.

Now if this is a daily occurrence with him and the cops,then I see why he did this.
But there are many on YouTube doing what I said and looking for trouble.
The other one was the guy in CA OCing with the unloaded gun,just to make his 10 vids for the webbernetten.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top