Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Open Carry question... no debate!!!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Benny503, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

I had read many posts debated about open and conceal carry. I have no problem with people open carry, I myself prefer conceal carry that just my choice. I dont want to start a new thread for debating open carry. All I want is to clearly understand about open conceal carry law. Do people carry open have to have a conceal carry permit?

2. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Sort of.

Portland and Beaverton, and others that I can't remember, have ordinances against open carry of LOADED guns. However, CHL holders are exempt from it. So, to carry ANYWHERE in the state, with a LOADED gun; Yes. You need your CHL.

3. shibbershabber

shibbershabber Vancouver Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Open carry in Oregon = OK w/no CHL

unless in Portland or Beaverton... then, no open carry at all.

Concealed Carry anywhere in Oregon = must have CHL

4. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

True but those aren't the only city's that have effectively outlawed open carry for anybody without a CHL.

5. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

Oregon Law

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.173.html
    http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

ORS 166.173

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
    (a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
    (b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
    (c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
    (d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8

6. shibbershabber

shibbershabber Vancouver Well-Known Member

What are the other cities?

7. dobanion

dobanion North Portland, Oregon Member

Bend isn't one of them is it? I go shooting out there and would like to keep my pistol in it's holster out in the open from the house to BLM where I go......

8. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

OK, this is from http://www.opencarry.org/ seem like some research was done, there's some good info over there...

9. Benny503

I had read this law multiple times and waiting for some explainations. "Loaded Firearm Carry Ban Cities; [CHL holders excluded]" Is this talking about open carry or concealed carry? I find it would be two different subjects. The law said "possession of loaded firearms in public places" Is this mean I carry open? or conceal? To me possession mean I have a firearm with me and it on my body. It didn't state clearl that open or conceal, I dont want to sit infront of the judge and said "I thought possession of a firearm mean open"

10. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

Most of the relevant statutes have already been quoted on this, but....understand that different aspects of open or concealed carry are covered under different statutes.

Generally speaking, it is illegal to carry a loaded firearm concealed without a chl. Another statute authorizes open carry with a loaded firearm, but allows for municipalities to place restrictions. That statute exempts chl holders from those municipal restrictions and does not require the firearm to be concealed for the exemption to take effect. So, in a "ban city" you can open carry or conceal carry if you have a chl.

It would be nice if the laws spelled everything out in one place... But than no one would need lawyers.

11. Benny503

el gringo loco thank you so much. Now I am clear as crystal :)

12. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

Salem and Independence are also on the list of cities you can't open carry in. I believe there is one more also besides Portland and Beaverton.