JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Open Carry on the ferry is legal (w/CPL), I do it often as I OC most all of the time. I have never had a bad encounter.

194543_1306245672724_8171796_o.jpg

If you have any issues please call this guy as he is in charge of ferry safety and is a gun owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concealed pistol Lisc is not open carry

A CPL is required to carry loaded in a vehicle in Washington, whether OC or CC.

RCW 9.41.050

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Now whether a ferry is a vehicle or part of the highway system (it is both) is a different thread.

It's assumed the gun will be concealed. I am very much pro open carry if that's your preference but you will be hassled by cops in urban Western WA State, maybe arrested and possibly convicted as well

I open carry in the boonies

It's assumed the gun will be concealed. I am very much pro open carry if that's your preference but you will be hassled by cops in urban Western WA State, maybe arrested and possibly convicted as well

I have carried in and around Seattle/Tacoma for more than 3 years without a single incident. There are at least a dozen training bulletins at many law enforcement agencies that detail the legality. Those of us in the OC community have spent a great amount of time making this easier. While 4 or more years ago your statement may have been true, I find that it is no longer the case.

Downtown Seattle with Rob McKenna @ Westlake Plaza

Downtown Seattle at the Pride parade (The officers never even said hello)

Actually it is a permit to conceal a pistol, it does not say you must conceal, only that you MAY conceal....why, because you do not need a permit to carry a pistol openly.

That said, a CPL also grants an exemption to the general restriction on "loaded carry in a vehicle".

Like gogodawgs, I normally OC, and I normally OC on the ferry system when I use it...never been a problem

I have carried in and around Seattle/Tacoma for more than 3 years without a single incident. There are at least a dozen training bulletins at many law enforcement agencies that detail the legality. Those of us in the OC community have spent a great amount of time making this easier. While 4 or more years ago your statement may have been true, I find that it is no longer the case.

Thank you for your time and efforts in regards to OC. This is really neat to see.

Actually it is a permit to conceal a pistol, it does not say you must conceal, only that you MAY conceal....why, because you do not need a permit to carry a pistol openly.

That said, a CPL also grants an exemption to the general restriction on "loaded carry in a vehicle".

Like gogodawgs, I normally OC, and I normally OC on the ferry system when I use it...never been a problem

If you don't need the CPL to OC then why associate the two?

Downtown Seattle with Rob McKenna @ Westlake Plaza

Downtown Seattle at the Pride parade (The officers never even said hello)

Maybe times are changing but not everywhere.. note the link I provided

Maybe times are changing but not everywhere.. note the link I provided

I think you're getting into a different territory there. The question of what the requirement for OC on the state ferry is appears to be answered. The topic of whether or not OCers in urban or populated locations are possibly the subject of LEO harrassment or just general ridicule by CPLers and normal people because aforementioned OCer looks silly is a whole different series of threads.

If you don't need the CPL to OC then why associate the two?

WA (and federal) law still has a couple quirks...why did I get my CPL? So I could walk out of an FFL with my new pistol the same day and hours as when I went in. That was after over 25 years of OC while resisting getting a CPL.

The second advantage is, another quirk, this time WA law only, and one that needs to go by-by...that is you cannot have a loaded pistol in a vehicle without a CPL, or a RCW 9.41.060 exemption.

Actually, gogodawgs is only kind of (mostly) right when he says you need to have a CPL when you loaded OC on the ferry...the Exemption in RCW 9.41.060(8) covered me for years. And could cover you too, if the reason you are using the ferry system is to go camping, hiking, horseback riding, hunting, fishing or some other outdoor recreational activity.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top