JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To those of you that like to open carry in places where you know it is going to make people nervous and force bad feelings toward gun ownership, I have a few questions. Open carry in places like the ferry is only going to inspire the anti-gun left to voice there concern to there elected representatives. This can not possibly help our cause even if you are within the law. It will only encourage people to get the laws changed so it is no longer lawful. Why can't you just get a CPL and protect yourself without stirring up the lefts? What exactly are you trying to accomplish by open carrying on the ferry?

I ask this because I really want to know if exercising your OC rights are important enough to you to loose them? It seems to me common sense and discretion should be used when open carrying. In these times we live in diplomacy seems more appropriate to me than shoving our views in their faces just to get a predictable negative reaction.

Please tell me your reasoning. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I don't have all the facts.

So you have reasoned that people should not exercise their right, because if they do they might lose it.
In a nutshell you are advocating a willfull surrender of the right due to fear of losing it.

To those of you that like to open carry in places where you know it is going to make people nervous and force bad feelings toward gun ownership, I have a few questions. Open carry in places like the ferry is only going to inspire the anti-gun left to voice there concern to there elected representatives. This can not possibly help our cause even if you are within the law. It will only encourage people to get the laws changed so it is no longer lawful. Why can't you just get a CPL and protect yourself without stirring up the lefts? What exactly are you trying to accomplish by open carrying on the ferry?

I ask this because I really want to know if exercising your OC rights are important enough to you to loose them? It seems to me common sense and discretion should be used when open carrying. In these times we live in diplomacy seems more appropriate to me than shoving our views in their faces just to get a predictable negative reaction.

Please tell me your reasoning. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I don't have all the facts.

Somehow I missed this one first time around and I would like to comment, some harsh, some not.

First: I would suggest you read the WA constitution, pay particular attention to Article 1 section 7 and Article 1 section 24.

Then you might read this: In re BRICKEY. Granted, the ruling is specifically for Idaho here, but the equivalent WA ruling I do not have available at my fingertips. Pay particular attention to what this court says about concealed carry....Compare WA constitution to Idaho's and you will see. Unlicensed OC is here to stay, unless they want to allow fully unlicensed CC...and I don't see that happening soon.

As for someone getting upset because I openly wear a sidearm for my personal self protection? I really don't give a damn what someone else thinks or gets upset about. I don't particularly care for motorcycles...does that mean no-one should ride a motorcycle? I don't think so. I don't own a cell phone...does that mean no-one else should own a cell phone? I don't think so. I don't own a full auto...does that mean I think no-one should be able to own a full auto? No. I think you should be able to own and do what you please as long as it does not damage your neighbor (broad understanding of neighbor) I don't care if my neighbor owns a fully equipped Abrams tank or Apache helicopter as long as he does not damage me, my family or my property with it.

If someone was to get upset at my openly carried sidearm and actively try to restrict something that I choose to do that is completely lawful, well, I would be as politically active as that anti to make sure that did not happen.

Maybe we should outlaw baseball bats? Some kid might get hurt by a flying bat or ball. (I am being sarcastic here) My carry is a part of my personal apparel, why should anyone tell me how to dress?

So just to make sure I fully understand your point of view. You believe anybody "should be able to own and do what you please as long as it does not damage your neighbor (broad understanding of neighbor)"

So if two people are buck naked, having sex on a blanket in the park, that's okay with you? What if the two people are both men? Not my cup of tea, but they're not damaging anybody, so that's okay with you?:s0155:

Don't say your little kids will be damaged by seeing this. The anti gunners will say the same thing about that 44 on your hip. Don't say it's against the law, you said a fully equipped Abrams tank is okay. What if that neighbor with the Abrams tank is an alcoholic or wacked out on prescription drugs? Still okay?:s0155:

I know these are extreme examples, but you said you don't give a damn what people think, and you should be able to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't damage anybody. I'm just making sure I'm clear on your point.

I don't think what you said was really what you meant,or was it?

One more thing. I'm not against OC. I asked if we shouldn't use good judgement as to where it is appropriate. I can't even cuss in this post because someone who is so strongly in favor of our 2nd amendment, thinks the 1st amendment isn't appropriate here.

So just to make sure I fully understand your point of view. You believe anybody "should be able to own and do what you please as long as it does not damage your neighbor (broad understanding of neighbor)"

So if two people are buck naked, having sex on a blanket in the park, that's okay with you? What if the two people are both men? Not my cup of tea, but they're not damaging anybody, so that's okay with you?:s0155:

Don't say your little kids will be damaged by seeing this. The anti gunners will say the same thing about that 44 on your hip. Don't say it's against the law, you said a fully equipped Abrams tank is okay. What if that neighbor with the Abrams tank is an alcoholic or wacked out on prescription drugs? Still okay?:s0155:

I know these are extreme examples, but you said you don't give a damn what people think, and you should be able to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't damage anybody. I'm just making sure I'm clear on your point.

I don't think what you said was really what you meant,or was it?

One more thing. I'm not against OC. I asked if we shouldn't use good judgement as to where it is appropriate. I can't even cuss in this post because someone who is so strongly in favor of our 2nd amendment, thinks the 1st amendment isn't appropriate here.

What is done in private, on someone's own private property, without force or co-erasion is totally up to the participants. It has nothing to do with me or the general public.

As to the Abram's Tank comment...we have both a state and federal constitutionally protected right to self defense, it is that simple. I do not believe in a restricted "right". If the right is restricted, it is no longer a right, but a privilege.

The reason that guarantee was put in the constitution was to protect the citizens from a tyrannical government that does not want to live by it's own laws. It is also very useful against other people who would do us harm.

And no, I really do not care if it bothers some that I exercises my lawful right to carry for self defense. You know there are some people that are offended that some people go to church on Sunday (SDA) and there are other people out there that are offended that everyone is not required to go to church on Sunday, then there are others that are offended because anyone goes to church and want sports to be the national religion.. Whichever you may be, do you really care that you may offend one or more of those groups?

What is done in private, on someone's own private property, without force or co-erasion is totally up to the participants. It has nothing to do with me or the general public.

As to the Abram's Tank comment...we have both a state and federal constitutionally protected right to self defense, it is that simple. I do not believe in a restricted "right". If the right is restricted, it is no longer a right, but a privilege.

The reason that guarantee was put in the constitution was to protect the citizens from a tyrannical government that does not want to live by it's own laws. It is also very useful against other people who would do us harm.

And no, I really do not care if it bothers some that I exercises my lawful right to carry for self defense. You know there are some people that are offended that some people go to church on Sunday (SDA) and there are other people out there that are offended that everyone is not required to go to church on Sunday, then there are others that are offended because anyone goes to church and want sports to be the national religion.. Whichever you may be, do you really care that you may offend one or more of those groups?

Well I actually agree with you for the most part in your belief in basic freedoms, and the right to protect ourselves against ANYONE, who would harm us.

I think I'll leave it at that.

Now as far as easier prey,if a bad guy is he.ll bent on getin' some money from a liquor store and you are looking in the cooler to get milk,with your gun on your hip,who do you think gets the first bullet?
I know if I had to do something at gun point,no matter what,that's who I would shoot first.

Now a guy that is CCing,isn't a threat in this situation,as it seems to the robber.So he doesn't get shot....well yet
Now a wanna be bad guy may stop and think about it if he sees a OC person in the store.But if he decides to try it,where do you suppose the shotgun will be trained?
And don't think you will go unnoticed by the bad guy,open carrying.

I see this argument often. By those who wish to "prove" that deceit in carrying is the way to go. My question, where is the proof that this will or has happened, or is it just a neat story to pull out whenever you think you need to talk about why your way is the "right" way?

For the record, I have no problem with honest carry, or the liar's carry. As long as people are carrying. I plan to get my liar's card soon, and bought two new toys so I can use it. :winkkiss:

I like the idea of the honest liar's carry.

One in the boot, on one the belt. ;)

Carefull. that kind of talk could start a whole new issue of Hybread carry! Out on the frindges not fitting in anywhere!...
Or baybe youll be a bi-carry?
OC'er will call you a trader!
the CC'ers will deomonize you!

touchy ground your treading with that! :)

Carefull. that kind of talk could start a whole new issue of Hybread carry! Out on the frindges not fitting in anywhere!...
Or baybe youll be a bi-carry?
OC'er will call you a trader!
the CC'ers will deomonize you!

touchy ground your treading with that! :)

I went to college in San Francisco.

I can play both sides as long as I'm the top. Hah!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top