JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I CC most all the time and OC every once in a while. Honestly I'm just exploring the idea of OC. I would like to believe that a shift in the perception of firearms in the hands of responsible citizens, is currently underway. With firearms more mainstream than ever, (i.e. on the discovery channel, history channel etc) and with the world getting crazier by the day, I think more and more people are supporting the 2nd amendment. My ideas about OC is not to put fear in people or to be an intimidating presence, but rather to relieve some of those possible fears by setting a good example, and contributing to a positive change in peoples perception of firearms and those of us who carry them.

Like I said just kicking around ideas.

Good forum for OC: Washington

Mjbskwim: You CC I'll OC. The chances I will have need of my carry is probably >1% of the chances you will need to use your. Like a fire extinguisher,,,I want my carry, I do not want to need to used it. An informed person with criminal intent will generally seek easier prey and will just leave me alone.

Hey if I lived in Okanogan county,I would open carry most of the time the over coat didn't get in the way.
You always come up with these statements about open carry and you live way way the bubblegum out there.
Everybody expects you to have a gun on your side.

I live closer to the metropolitan areas that this isn't the norm.

Now as far as easier prey,if a bad guy is he.ll bent on getin' some money from a liquor store and you are looking in the cooler to get milk,with your gun on your hip,who do you think gets the first bullet?
I know if I had to do something at gun point,no matter what,that's who I would shoot first.

Now a guy that is CCing,isn't a threat in this situation,as it seems to the robber.So he doesn't get shot....well yet
Now a wanna be bad guy may stop and think about it if he sees a OC person in the store.But if he decides to try it,where do you suppose the shotgun will be trained?
And don't think you will go unnoticed by the bad guy,open carrying.

Yes, I have carried on the WA ferry. Only requirement, if loaded in ANY vehicle (the WA ferry is considered a vehicle for RCW 9.41 purposes) you need a CPL. If you do not have a CPL, yes, you can OC on the ferry, your pistol just cannot be (legally) loaded.

The odds of being questioned depends on how you handle yourself. Proper holster, acting as if you were doning nothing out of the normal...chance is about 0 you will be even noticed. Act like a nervous Nelly, chances are probably 50% someone will notice, and 50% of them may talk to the purser.

The law is: if an area is restricted by the liquor control board to 21 and over only, you cannot carry. CC, OC, CPL or not.

Mjbskwim: You CC I'll OC. The chances I will have need of my carry is probably >1% of the chances you will need to use your. Like a fire extinguisher,,,I want my carry, I do not want to need to used it. An informed person with criminal intent will generally seek easier prey and will just leave me alone.

Unless there is a metal detector and an armed guard...what is going to stop you? I carry everywhere but the courthouse.

I think those that think most BG's are super observant and will even notice your gun are incorrect.
Every time this discussion occurs some throws out the ideal the anti's are going to run to the big gubnment ppl and get our right to open carry taken away. Get over yourself. You can contact the same people and let your voice be heard and have the same impact. Either put up or shut up.
Open carry or Concealed Carry it is up to you.

I think those that think most BG's are super observant and will even notice your gun are incorrect.
Every time this discussion occurs some throws out the ideal the anti's are going to run to the big gubnment ppl and get our right to open carry taken away. Get over yourself. You can contact the same people and let your voice be heard and have the same impact. Either put up or shut up.

I have asked for someone to give me an intelligent reason to open carry in places like the ferry and all I get is because I can? Get over yourself? Put up or shut up? Must be a blissful life you live.

You can drive your car using your feet and no hands. Does it mean you should? Is it a good idea? Are you standing up for your right to drive your car any way you feel like?

Would someone who has an IQ above room temperature numbers, who is not too drunk, and doesn't have severe emotional problems give me a good reason to open carry in places like the ferry? No, that cuts the field down too far. Can anybody just explain to me the intelligent reasoning behind open carrying in places like the ferry?

Maybe I'll agree with you and join your cause.

Would someone who has an IQ above room temperature numbers, who is not too drunk, and doesn't have severe emotional problems give me a good reason to open carry in places like the ferry? No, that cuts the field down too far. Can anybody just explain to me the intelligent reasoning behind open carrying in places like the ferry?

If you're going to be unreasonable, you might as well ask a unicorn's opinion on burgers made from a griffin.

I carry in the liquor store multiple times a week.

Me too.. going in and out of one is one of the most dangerous places to be since you're possibly carrying cash and booze in the eyes of predators. of course now Costco and Freds has booze at better prices..

I think a lot of californians started out thinking that way... Look where it has gotten them... OC is now illegal in CA. Consider how many people have moved here from CA its not an impossibility...

I have asked for someone to give me an intelligent reason to open carry in places like the ferry and all I get is because I can? Get over yourself? Put up or shut up? Must be a blissful life you live.

You can drive your car using your feet and no hands. Does it mean you should? Is it a good idea? Are you standing up for your right to drive your car any way you feel like?

Let me ask you this question: Who is most likely to get mugged. A guy wearing no watch at all? a timex? or a gold Rolex? Does it take observation to tell the difference?

Me too.. going in and out of one is one of the most dangerous places to be since you're possibly carrying cash and booze in the eyes of predators. of course now Costco and Freds has booze at better prices..

You willingly shop at Fred's? I'm impressed. That's unexpected, and very open-minded of you.

Typically, OC advocates only differentiate between legal vs illegal. Their chosen mode of carry is not about the "place", it's simply about the right to carry. The analogy of driving a car with your feet questions responsibility more than anything. I doubt anyone would suggest that it is a good idea to act irresponsibly.

I think a lot of californians started out thinking that way... Look where it has gotten them... OC is now illegal in CA. Consider how many people have moved here from CA its not an impossibility...

It would only be possible with a WA state constitutional amendment, or unlicensed CC...and unlicensed CC is not going to happen here very soon. Same goes for OR.

Let me try to provide some "intelligent" reasons that someone might choose to OC.

1. Protection/defense of self
2. Protection/defense of loved ones
3. Protection/defense of property
4. Protection/defense of others
5. Education of the general public
6. Comfort
7. Disability
8. Job requirement
9. Sport
10. Ease/speed of weapon accessibility

First four on the list are the same reasons that I carry concealed.
Pick a topic, any topic, and you'll find someone on the other side that will think you are absolutely stupid for thinking that way or doing that. Talk to any anti and they'll tell you that just because you can own a gun doesn't mean you need to or should.

In my mind, as long as open carry is done without evil intent (intimidation, bullying, etc.), it is just a matter of personal choice on method of carry.

If you need someone to explain to you the reasoning for their choice to open carry then I suggest your comments above were written while looking and talking to the mirror.

As I said it is your choice. Only you can convince yourself of the benefits or detriments of open carry.
And please come up with some creative insults. The childish temper tantrum fit is unbecoming a member of the armed citizenry. But maybe someday if you work hard at it your IQ will get above room temperature and you will understand it.

Now as far as easier prey,if a bad guy is he.ll bent on getin' some money from a liquor store and you are looking in the cooler to get milk,with your gun on your hip,who do you think gets the first bullet?
I know if I had to do something at gun point,no matter what,that's who I would shoot first.

Makes sense, but I've never heard of it happening. Can you provide a cite?

Just doesn't happen. Most BG's do not want to be equal in any possible armed confrontation. Why do you they generally avoid stores with cops in them? IF A BG that is going to shoot first and ask questions later comes to where you are, you CC will not help you.

And don't think you will go unnoticed by the bad guy,open carrying.

Actually that is exactly what I am hoping for, that my carry will be noticed, and that like 99% of a criminals, the BG is really a bully that does not want put himself in danger and will notice, and leave. BTW: This scenario has been documented many times.

Unless there is a metal detector and an armed guard...what is going to stop you? I carry everywhere but the courthouse.

I just don't do to bars...waste of money. I can get a beer or two for the cost of a 6 pack? Not me...tooo cheap.

I do go to a couple restaraunts that have beer you cannot purchase in the bottle (Alpine from Oroville), and I will have a beer with my meal then.

If you need someone to explain to you the reasoning for their choice to open carry then I suggest your comments above were written while looking and talking to the mirror.

As I said it is your choice. Only you can convince yourself of the benefits or detriments of open carry.
And please come up with some creative insults. The childish temper tantrum fit is unbecoming a member of the armed citizenry. But maybe someday if you work hard at it your IQ will get above room temperature and you will understand it.

I get it! Do as YOU say, not as YOU do.

"Actually that is exactly what I am hoping for, that my carry will be noticed, and that like 99% of a criminals, the BG is really a bully that does not want put himself in danger and will notice, and leave. BTW: This scenario has been documented many times."

Now there is a rational argument I can maybe get behind. You don't ever here of robberies a shooting ranges. I don't know what the statistics are as far as open carry being, or not being a deterrent to crime, but it makes sense in at least some situations.

"Actually that is exactly what I am hoping for, that my carry will be noticed, and that like 99% of a criminals, the BG is really a bully that does not want put himself in danger and will notice, and leave. BTW: This scenario has been documented many times."

Now there is a rational argument I can maybe get behind. You don't ever here of robberies a shooting ranges. I don't know what the statistics are as far as open carry being, or not being a deterrent to crime, but it makes sense in at least some situations.

Hint: Use this "[" symbol followed by the word "quote", then "]" symbol after the word "quote" to start what you want to quote, then cut and paste your quoted item in, then, when you want to end the quote use "[/" then the word "Quote" and followed by the close bracket "]" That is what I just did to original "quote" by you of what I wrote...looks cleaner that way...just a suggestion..

If you ever read my posts, and there appears to be a word missing?//well, my mind runs faster then my ability to type...OK, please forgive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top