JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know its probably not the greatest of ideas but I live right across the street from a school and I would like to open carry(haven't yet). I just want to make sure there are no laws I would be breaking by being in a close proximity to the school. I looked it up but couldn't find much info. Can anybody help me out??

<broken link removed>

A lot of laws depend on if you have a CHL or not, but it appears Salem has some kind of ordinance against open carry. I would strongly suggest you purchase and read the book "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws." It is a great resource to go for answers regarding Oregon's clear as mud gun laws.

(and I'll probably get "hammered" for this), I don't think open carry anywhere is a good idea. It may (or may not) be legal but it just gives the "anti's" more ammunition to take what rights we still have away.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

i believe the law states that you can not carry concealed or open on any federal or school property.

This is a common misconception that many law enforcement agencies even have. There is a Federal regulation on guns near or on public school property but CHL holders are exempt from this. Many state agencies and local sheriff's would like you to believe there is a state law regarding guns and schools but there is not as long as you have a CHL.

I'm not worried about being on school property with it but I would like to know if I would be breaking a law by just being within a school zone and open carrying.

Last Edited:
I'm not worried about being on school property with it but I would like to know if I would be breaking a law by just being within a school zone and open carrying.

If you don't have a CHL and you live in Salem I would be worried about open carrying period as it appears Salem has some open carry ordinance. If you live in a local jurisdiction that has not banned open carry and you live within 1000 feet of a school you would not be breaking any laws if you open carry. If you live more than 1000 feet from a school and open carry within 1000 feet with no CHL you would be violating federal law. Again, this all hinges on whether or not you have your CHL.

If you don't have a CHL and you live in Salem I would be worried about open carrying period as it appears Salem has some open carry ordinance. If you live in a local jurisdiction that has not banned open carry and you live within 1000 feet of a school you would not be breaking any laws if you open carry. If you live more than 1000 feet from a school and open carry within 1000 feet with no CHL you would be violating federal law. Again, this all hinges on whether or not you have your CHL.

Yeah in Salem you can't carry loaded without a CHL which unfortunately is 2 more years away for me. You answered my question though thanks!

Hahah nah man 6th graders are nothin' I'm talkin' the real troublemakers....elementary school kids

News Flash:

There ARE "little thugs" in 6th grade these days... little "gangsta's" actin' all bad tryin' to imitate "Uncle Tio" wearing the hoodie and/or hat with "LA" or "13" on it (means "La Eme" for Mexican Mafia), baggy pants, headband.... believe it.

I know its probably not the greatest of ideas but I live right across the street from a school and I would like to open carry(haven't yet). I just want to make sure there are no laws I would be breaking by being in a close proximity to the school. I looked it up but couldn't find much info. Can anybody help me out??

I'd look at the first part of your post...you know its a bad idea in your gut, so why do it? Unless you have some reason to, in terms of protection...it sounds like a very bad idea. I have two boys in school and if I saw a guy across the street with a gun on his hip...it would definitely raise my blood pressure until I figured out what he was doing.

I'd recommend thinking long and hard about it before you do it.

how did so many go from the guy living across the street to hime wanking around open carrying on school grounds?

If I saw a guy open carrying across the street if he is a good guy I would be very happy to have him look out for my kids.

how did so many go from the guy living across the street to hime wanking around open carrying on school grounds?

If I saw a guy open carrying across the street if he is a good guy I would be very happy to have him look out for my kids.

Hahaha I am a good guy. I don't want to carry on school grounds but if I were to go anywhere I would be entering a school zone so that is my only concern.

Well little brosky since you don't have your chl yet you just have to deal with the fact that you look like you're still 12 and hope that any cops do t think you actually go to school there! Haha but seriously I think you're fine as long as you dont have any ammo readily accessible in which case, what's the point? :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top