JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A little heads up, any place we decide to pick, we'll have to call them and ask for permission. We may be in the right to carry, but a business has the right to ask us to leave. So expect the location to change if the business is against it.

If we did some sort of public service, however (i.e. picking up trash), we wouldnt have to worry about that, so lets keep it in mind. Plus its a great way to give something back to the community.

From experience, pick up trash, because the whole, 'sitting around and eating' thing doesn't get you proper exposure, and is just boring. I'd rather be doing something more productive while also getting the message across, and not eating junk foods.

I can honestly say that the meetings do absolutely nothing to inform the public, unless you go the service route. People just see you, and immediately dismiss you without engaging. It's your job to engage them while doing service work and just spark good conversation. Otherwise, people have a tendancy to lean toward negative attributions to the group. Fatal attribution error.

You will be much more effective doing service work out where people can see and kindly interact with you, considering that's the whole point of the meet.

Lastly, if there is any doubt about the location, ask the local police. I see it as a similar event as a peaceful protest. There's no harm in doing it, and they won't stop you if it's not illegal, simple as that.

Give me some flak for saying that, sure- but it's better than for some rookie cop to stumble upon you and call for backup. It happens, even in the best areas. Believe me, It does happen and it will happen.

Just don't be lame and not do it.

How about an open carry protest at the "Day labor Center" in PDX? That would send a message.

I'm not sure it would be the right message, and even if it was the right message, the media would twist the poop out of it to make us look bad.

Bad idea.

Carry on...

-Mark.

How about an open carry protest at the "Day labor Center" in PDX? That would send a message.

I'm not sure it would be the right message, and even if it was the right message, the media would twist the poop out of it to make us look bad.

Bad idea.

Carry on...

-Mark.

Portland does not allow open carry unless you have a CHL.

Does anyone know of a progun restaurant owner who would allow this? Maybe an activity that would allow our carry pieces to be more visible? Just a thought. Charles is right about doing an activity that is a little more productive than eating; however, Mr. Link, would it be crazy to to a dinner or lunch on a Sautrday with our families? A bunch of guys and gals open carrying may not be as effective as having our families with us. For me, I am not concerned about creating a scene or upsetting the police, I am more concerned about portraying ourselves (as gun owners) in a more positive way than what the media does.

I say that we stick with the restaurant idea and maybe start with a place that would not piss everyone off, and make a positive picture of ourselves. Just my thoughts, let me know what you guys/girls think.

BJ

I can honestly say that the meetings do absolutely nothing to inform the public
I have been following this thread and to begin with I want everyone to know I agree with what you are doing, heck I would be joining you if I lived in the area but I am a little confused as to what the SPECIFIC message or information is to be given to the public. It might be a good idea to have a small, business card sized handout to give out that lays out the message so nothing is lost in individual translation. My point is if the place where you are going allows open carry then this is NOT a demonstration or protest. If this is a gathering that is intended to
portraying ourselves (as gun owners) in a more positive way than what the media does.
then what is is "we" are trying to prove? We know who we are, we know we are honest, law abiding citizens so why the need to rationalize and justify this to make a point? Notice I say "we" because I AGREE with this and would be there if I could. Friends, we as gun owners are a minority and we all all know the difficulty and predjudice experienced by ANY minority group when trying to make a point or give a message to a majority public.

I have been following this thread and to begin with I want everyone to know I agree with what you are doing, heck I would be joining you if I lived in the area but I am a little confused as to what the SPECIFIC message or information is to be given to the public. It might be a good idea to have a small, business card sized handout to give out that lays out the message so nothing is lost in individual translation. My point is if the place where you are going allows open carry then this is NOT a demonstration or protest. If this is a gathering that is intended to
then what is is "we" are trying to prove? We know who we are, we know we are honest, law abiding citizens so why the need to rationalize and justify this to make a point? Notice I say "we" because I AGREE with this and would be there if I could. Friends, we as gun owners are a minority and we all all know the difficulty and predjudice experienced by ANY minority group when trying to make a point or give a message to a majority public.
+1 seems like a message needs to be sent, otherwise we're just a bunch of people carrying guns in a restaurant. They may even just consider it a cop get together.

On the same line, If you were willing to go to Salem, Brice's on 19th St SE would probably be able to accommodate.
2560 19th St SE
Salem, OR 97302
(503) 362-0927

They have a whole room that you could probably use. Just give them a call and tell them how many will be coming. They are a breakfast and lunch place and are open on Saturdays.

+1 seems like a message needs to be sent, otherwise we're just a bunch of people carrying guns in a restaurant. They may even just consider it a cop get together.

On the same line, If you were willing to go to Salem, Brice's on 19th St SE would probably be able to accommodate.
2560 19th St SE
Salem, OR 97302
(503) 362-0927

They have a whole room that you could probably use. Just give them a call and tell them how many will be coming. They are a breakfast and lunch place and are open on Saturdays.

I completely agree. The main point I would like to see conveyed to the open carry community is less about just getting together, but getting exposure. I specifically mentioned that it's not a "protest" in how people see it, but some event that they will become involved and mingle in a positive way with the community.

Altogether, sitting at a restaurant and eating deep fried food only exposes the group to the patrons and staff. Get public!

I'd go one further.

I think the populace seeing a GROUP of people, all sitting together, with guns in open view, will give a negative effect; Not to anti-2nd types, but to uneducated, unknowing, and fear-of-guns people. Unless we were doing things like painting over graffiti, or picking up trash, or shoveling snow.

Same with wearing Tactical gear while open carrying. When Adrian first saw this page, she said I should wear my Dropleg Serpa. But that, also, I think would reflect negatively.

"Gun nuts." on both accounts.

I'd go one further.

I think the populace seeing a GROUP of people, all sitting together, with guns in open view, will give a negative effect; Not to anti-2nd types, but to uneducated, unknowing, and fear-of-guns people. Unless we were doing things like painting over graffiti, or picking up trash, or shoveling snow.

Same with wearing Tactical gear while open carrying. When Adrian first saw this page, she said I should wear my Dropleg Serpa. But that, also, I think would reflect negatively.

"Gun nuts." on both accounts.

+1

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews