JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Be advised... Colorado Springs has gone deep liberal. FWIW. I don't know about Ft. Collins, but I'm thinkin the cities in Colorado are gone for 2A rights. Personally, I don't need the hassle and would carry a number of other weapons instead. For example, a 3" bladed knife will make short work of a combatant if you know how to use one. A strike to the hamstring to disable is a good opening move. A collapsible baton if legal to carry would be a good follow up. Me dos centavos.
I think Fort Collins is bad as Denver or Boulder. I'm going to stay away from the city centers and stick with small towns or mountain areas.

Hey yeah. Go into a state as a non resident with a rod strapped to your hip. Make that statement for all of us that we have the inalienable right to keep and bare arms! Just poking at you Anthony, not too serious, I think. I just figure Colorado is a state kind of like Oregon. Lots of very vocal anti 2nd people that would have all firearms melted if they could. The only thing that stopped them is that thin line of politicians that won't quite go that far, and a vocal minority of gun owners.

I'm sure there's towns in Colorado where IF your gun were notice they wouldn't care, but what about the towns where you have people like in PDX? Or Eugene? Do you feel lucky? Personally, I'm not one to play that card. In any case, tell us about your trip when you get back.

Oh, about Utah? It's changed a WHOLE LOT since I lived there. A lot of Californians have moved/retired there so I'd think there are communities in Utah now that resemble some of those in Oregon. BUT, in Utah driving in the cities is a breeze compared to Potland! You got that going for you.
I do agree that Colorado is similar to Oregon. Portland and Eugene are like Denver and Boulder.

I've never been to Utah, but I look forward to visit there. I'm glad Utah is one of the most gun friendly states in the nation.

My biggest concern when traveling (driving) is on the road. Out of state legal hassles won't be cheap or fun.

Question, do you only have an Oregon CCP? So far adding the Utah permit has had me covered, outside of California.
I've done some research on carrying firearms in a vehicle. Good news is that vehicle carry is legal in the state of Colorado. But here is the catch. If you're traveling to or from Denver, you cannot open carry in the city of Denver. But if you're traveling from City A to City B and you have to go thorough Denver, then you may vehicle carry.

I do have an Oregon CHL, but I also have Washington, Florida, and New Hampshire licenses.

I've done some research on carrying firearms in a vehicle. Good news is that vehicle carry is legal in the state of Colorado. But here is the catch. If you're traveling to or from Denver, you cannot open carry in the city of Denver. But if you're traveling from City A to City B and you have to go thorough Denver, then you may vehicle carry.

I do have an Oregon CHL, but I also have Washington, Florida, and New Hampshire licenses.

Good on you for keeping up on the laws!

You might have time to get a Utah carry permit before your trip, but time wise may be tight. If I recall it took a few months to get it in hand after the paperwork was sent in, but that was a few years ago.

Or ?Arizona.

Not sure honestly which one would be of more benefit given you allready have WA.

Do yourself a favor, go enjoy your adventure, especially in Rifle [keep us aprised of that visit]; enjoy the scene in the Springs [might contemplate, if time permits, taking the train to the top of the Peak]; or a side trip to Estes.

Safe travels...

Anthony, the fact that you have thought enough about this to do a little research and solicit a sampling of opinions is a strong indicator to me that you are a reasonable individual. But remember, you're testing the waters in a forum that is largely pro-2A (trolls aside), so of course you can expect a number of reasonable and positive responses here.

But I also believe you're asking these questions because you realize something is very wrong in the post-American political climate (of global whining), wherein abiding by local laws (in Colorado for instance) isn't necessarily adequate to preclude negative contact with random strangers who may NOT be reasonable individuals.

Until emotionally motivated anti-gun lib-tards are visibly identifiable to me (maybe dyed bright blue at the brainwashing facility) so I can see them coming and avoid them, I'm not inclined to publicly display something on my hip that can potentially incite frivolous over-reactions by strangers - perhaps a few of whom would bend/ignore the truth in order to "teach me a lesson" because our beliefs differ. However remote the chances of that, it only takes one vindictive wing-nut to instantly turn your trip into a complicated and expensive nightmare, explaining yourself (and the laws) to merchants, security guards, cops, lawyers, judges, etc. Or worse.

Last Edited:
But I'm not sure if I should open carry in other cities like Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Golden, or Pueblo. I understand that open carry is illegal in city of Denver, and Boulder recently banned magazines that holds more than 10 rounds. Has anyone visited Colorado and open carry there? If so, did you get harassed by the LEO or getting bad looks from the public? And also, any advice on open carry?
I am in Colorado. I would not open carry in CO. It maybe your right but get prepared because CO has gone full retard on gun rights. Fort Collins, Boulder (Golden is becoming mini-Boulder) are both college towns with real liberal ideas. Boulder just banned assault rifles. I detest Boulder and would advise only going there as a route to get to someplace better. Boulder sucks! Fort Collins may have a Budweiser plant but the citizens of Fort Collins protested a pizza place called Illegal Pete's because they said it was racist. I would pass through there also. The Springs is a military town but is being invaded. The Springs tends to be conservative and has more normal folks. As for Pueblo if you are in Pueblo West, nice decent folks. Pueblo itself, you may need that gun.

So if you choose to open carry in front range Colorado, be prepared to have a visit or two from LEO. Getting bad looks from the public is putting it mildly.

Best of luck to you & safe travels.

Hey @Motomom34, long time no see! You speak the truth about the front range for sure, and sadly the Springs has all but gone to the dogs! This really pizzes me off, the Springs is the closest major city for Us, and we have always enjoyed the relaxed feeling where every one gets along and minds their own business! Yea, I always avoide Denver and Bolder, they have gown full retarded and it's spreadding! Funny about Pueblo, you hit the nail on the head. LOL I haven't been there for a while, last big fire down there in fact, you would think it would be a cool and relaxed city with a pro gun attitude, NOT, and the LEO are azzholes to boot, but has that area changed! :eek:

Good on you for keeping up on the laws!

You might have time to get a Utah carry permit before your trip, but time wise may be tight. If I recall it took a few months to get it in hand after the paperwork was sent in, but that was a few years ago.

Or ?Arizona.

Not sure honestly which one would be of more benefit given you allready have WA.
Utah honors Oregon CHL. It should fine since I have one. :)

Tread light as an out of stater. May be legal, but doesn't mean you won't get bubblegum, or have your time wasted by some resident calling cops on you in a place that doesn't normally see it. Be safe is all I'm saying.

You might want to get further details on vehicle carry. last year B4 our trip made the call to Co.SP about this and I was told handgun had to be in the glove box. At this point I figured unloaded and glove box locked, Nope, Cocked & Locked box unlocked good to go.

I didn't open carry when I was visiting Colorado. But I also found out from a Colorado law firm website saying that it is illegal to open carry in Colorado if your home state currently doesn't have a gun-reciprocity agreement with Colorado. So if I did open carry there, I would probably found myself in legal trouble. :s0143: Thank God I didn't. :s0133:A guide to Colorado's "open carry" gun law, rules and exceptions

"F-U if your state doesn't have reciprocity, therefor we are stripping your right to self defense."

New life to a year old thread, i like it.

6296E512-4A49-423B-B17A-3E88FFB65778.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top