JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning to visit Colorado and Utah around late September/early October of 2018, and I'm planning to bring my handgun when I travel. I'm not worried about carrying my handgun in state of Utah since they honor Oregon CHL. However, the state of Colorado doesn't honor Oregon CHL nor any non-resident CHL from other states. The only option that I'm left with is to open carry, and I have never open carry before. Since that's my only option, I'm planning to open carry while I'm visiting. But I do worry about getting negative feedback from public or getting harassed by the LEO. I will definitely open carry in a small town called Rifle (famously known for their restaurant called Shooter's Grill and coincidentally, the name of the city), but I'm not sure if I should open carry in other cities like Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Golden, or Pueblo. I understand that open carry is illegal in city of Denver, and Boulder recently banned magazines that holds more than 10 rounds. Has anyone visited Colorado and open carry there? If so, did you get harassed by the LEO or getting bad looks from the public? And also, any advice on open carry?

I'm planning to visit Colorado and Utah around late September/early October of 2018, and I'm planning to bring my handgun when I travel. I'm not worried about carrying my handgun in state of Utah since they honor Oregon CHL. However, the state of Colorado doesn't honor Oregon CHL nor any non-resident CHL from other states. The only option that I'm left with is to open carry, and I have never open carry before. Since that's my only option, I'm planning to open carry while I'm visiting. But I do worry about getting negative feedback from public or getting harassed by the LEO. I will definitely open carry in a small town called Rifle (famously known for their restaurant called Shooter's Grill and coincidentally, the name of the city), but I'm not sure if I should open carry in other cities like Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Golden, or Pueblo. I understand that open carry is illegal in city of Denver, and Boulder recently banned magazines that holds more than 10 rounds. Has anyone visited Colorado and open carry there? If so, did you get harassed by the LEO or getting bad looks from the public? And also, any advice on open carry?

If you get talked to by any LEO you can just remind them that because you are not legally allowed to carry concealed while in Colorado because your CHL does not permit you to conceal carry. You can inform them that in the future if they would like you to conceal carry they need to contact their legislator and change the law so that 1mm of fabric can then be draped over the pistol making everyone safer safer because without the permit it was such a danger to do that.

I've never carried anywhere I couldn't conceal, if I couldn't, I think I would go the same route as you just open carrying, the type of clothes you wear can make a difference, I've seen lots of people not really care about a person open carrying when they are dressed well, clean cut. They tend to assume they are just a policeman or affiliated not in uniform.

It's a tough call, but I wouldn't let the fear of idiots and their hoplophobia keep you from carrying if you want to carry, part of the reason people are conditioned to fear citizens carrying guns openly is because they don't see it often.

Last Edited:
My suggestion is to visit handgunlaw.us or the nation's premier OC site, forum.opencarry.org and visit Colorado's subthread and read up on past postings or post your query anew for current perspectives on the subject.

My biggest concern when traveling (driving) is on the road. Out of state legal hassles won't be cheap or fun.

Question, do you only have an Oregon CCP? So far adding the Utah permit has had me covered, outside of California.

Hey yeah. Go into a state as a non resident with a rod strapped to your hip. Make that statement for all of us that we have the inalienable right to keep and bare arms! Just poking at you Anthony, not too serious, I think. I just figure Colorado is a state kind of like Oregon. Lots of very vocal anti 2nd people that would have all firearms melted if they could. The only thing that stopped them is that thin line of politicians that won't quite go that far, and a vocal minority of gun owners.

I'm sure there's towns in Colorado where IF your gun were notice they wouldn't care, but what about the towns where you have people like in PDX? Or Eugene? Do you feel lucky? Personally, I'm not one to play that card. In any case, tell us about your trip when you get back.

Oh, about Utah? It's changed a WHOLE LOT since I lived there. A lot of Californians have moved/retired there so I'd think there are communities in Utah now that resemble some of those in Oregon. BUT, in Utah driving in the cities is a breeze compared to Potland! You got that going for you.

The main thing when visiting far off lands is to look as if you belong and no one will give you a second glance.

upload_2018-7-16_7-41-0.jpeg

Be advised... Colorado Springs has gone deep liberal. FWIW. I don't know about Ft. Collins, but I'm thinkin the cities in Colorado are gone for 2A rights. Personally, I don't need the hassle and would carry a number of other weapons instead. For example, a 3" bladed knife will make short work of a combatant if you know how to use one. A strike to the hamstring to disable is a good opening move. A collapsible baton if legal to carry would be a good follow up. Me dos centavos.

If I were going to open carry, I would probably invest in a body camera.

I also think you'll know pretty quickly if it's likely you will be contacted by law enforcement. If you see others open carrying, you'll likely be fine. If nobody is, I'd expect to be contacted.

When carrying concealed or open ...it pays to be extra polite to whomever you come into contact with.
I also second the earlier suggestion of a retention style holster and or thumb snap / break.
Checking in on carry laws in Colorado might be wise as well.

As for getting noticed or attention...
I think a lot depends on :
Where you are at...
Your demeanor / "attitude" / how you "carry" yourself...
What type of gun and holster you are carrying...
Be prepared for little kids to notice more than many adults...and have 'em loudly announce :
" Look Mom ! He's got a gun...! " :eek::D

And please remember that when you are out and about and doing anything firearm related , you can be seen as just how all gun owners are and act....So again be extra polite .
Andy

Respectfully ...

Welcome to this Excellent Forum. A personal point of view only. No disrespect intended or implied. Why ruin your vacation or trip? Why set yourself up for failure or a situation that may quickly escalate? Bringing attention upon yourself in this fashion might not be the optimal course of action.

Too many things can go wrong. Too many video camera smart phones. Too many OTHER FOLKS who might take your Constitutional Right the WRONG way. Just me but I would just ditch the open carry. Enjoy your trip. Have fun. I am thinking just tone it down a bit and enjoy yourself.

May also want to investigate the legality of a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a concealed weapons permit / license in the locals you are thinking about open carry.

Best advice I can give is to NOT open carry in any of the larger cities, especially up near Bolder or Denver! Even the Springs has gone sideways for open carry! The small towns on the eastern side are ok to open carry, but it's up to you to decide! Have a great trip and wave when you drive by! Lol

May also want to investigate the legality of a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a concealed weapons permit / license in the locals you are thinking about open carry.
I've done some research on carrying firearms in a vehicle. Good news is that vehicle carry is legal in the state of Colorado. But here is the catch. If you're traveling to or from Denver, you cannot open carry in the city of Denver. But if you're traveling from City A to City B and you have to go thorough Denver, then you may vehicle carry.

When carrying concealed or open ...it pays to be extra polite to whomever you come into contact with.
I also second the earlier suggestion of a retention style holster and or thumb snap / break.
Checking in on carry laws in Colorado might be wise as well.

As for getting noticed or attention...
I think a lot depends on :
Where you are at...
Your demeanor / "attitude" / how you "carry" yourself...
What type of gun and holster you are carrying...
Be prepared for little kids to notice more than many adults...and have 'em loudly announce :
" Look Mom ! He's got a gun...! " :eek::D

And please remember that when you are out and about and doing anything firearm related , you can be seen as just how all gun owners are and act....So again be extra polite .
Andy
I couldn't disagree with you on that. I'm very polite in public. I will not argue or raise my voice when someone voice their opinion that I don't agree with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top