JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't trust a call to the police to yield the correct answer, let alone one you can be 100% certain about. As Oldfart just pointed out, rank and file cops don't usually have a very detailed understanding of the criminal code, even though they wouldn't typically admit that. Like me when I was 17, they're sure about everything, even when they're wrong. And the DA in Crook County isn't going to let you off just because you tell him some cop in Yamhill County said on the phone it was OK.

I wasn't necessarily going for the "correct" answer. :s0114::s0114:

It would be good to know what the police officers in the field would like to see. A traffic stop is not a good time to educate officers on criminal code.
Even though you may be carrying correctly, if the officer doesn't like it, then you have a problem.

It has been 15-20years since I asked the question to an officer, but they all said the same thing.

Handgun on the dash in plain sight.

I asked 3 times to 3 different officers over the course of 3 years. I kept asking because I couldn't believe these guys were telling me to toss my pistol on the dash.

1-Portland Police officer
1-Seaside Cop
I can't remember where the 3rd officer worked.

It's been a long time since I asked. I should re-check.
Since i work with and around the police a lot now, it should be easy......as long as I don't forget:s0131::s0114:

I'm pretty sure if you wanted you can still carry a loaded rifle/shotgun in a gun rack in plain view if you want but I'm with you. I'm not to keen on advertising my guns to potential thieves.

Brian

Edit: Better check on this as well before you try it out. I am not certain about it's legalities 100%

Just to clarify this might be ok in Oregon but is not legal in Washington. In Washington you are not allowed to have any loaded long gun in a vehicle.

RCW 77.15.460
Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

It would be good to know what the police officers in the field would like to see. A traffic stop is not a good time to educate officers on criminal code. Even though you may be carrying correctly, if the officer doesn't like it, then you have a problem.

It has been 15-20years since I asked the question to an officer, but they all said the same thing.

Handgun on the dash in plain sight.

I disagree. I am not inclined to allow what the cops might like or not like to dictate my behavior. I follow the law. They should too. And in Oregon, one is not required to have the handgun on the dash.

In Oregon the handgun is required in part to be "in plain view" when inside a vehicle.

The reason why most cops, myself included and any lawyer worth his salt will tell you "put the gun on the dash" is because: There is now legally, absolutley no doubt, that the gun is in plain view. you have eliminated the "legal grey area" of what constitutes "in plain view" and plus as a bonus its now easy for the officer to see as he comes up to the car. Depending on the weapon he can also quickly tell if its unload. On the seat next to you with your hands far away from it, would be the next best spot in my opinion.

Does the law say you to do this? nope We still live a free country. We are free to make our own choices. The consquences of our choices however have never been ours to control....Too many people scream about the consenquences, when it was their poor choice or lack of one that got them that result.

So don't put the gun on the dash..leave it on the floor, half under the seat and blocked by your leg from view by someone looking in the drivers window. Make sure its your Parkerized 1911 that is the same color as the charcol carpet in your truck... then be rude, dont comply with instructions, tell the rank and file cop he doesnt know the law, you didnt do what he pulled you over for, you know the mayor and the police chief, you pay his taxes, lada lada lada.

then sit back and enjoy the consequences.

and this is how cops operate

behavior + attitude = consequences
(what your doing) + (how you act) = how your treated

which by the way is how society operates.

we also follow the:

"gun + unknown person = can kill/hurt you easier than person or gun alone"
principle

When I contact you. You already know who I am. I typically dont know you from Adam . you could be the Pope or Charles Manson? I have to be prepared for Charles and pray I'm talking to the Holy Father.

Since its been put out there... could someone please tell me who they think in a typical police agency, knows more about the criminal code than the rank and file patrol officer who use it everyday?

Years ago I had the same question. So I called Marion County Sheriff's office and was told as long as the gun was visible it was legal. She told me to put it on the seat next to me, and if for some reason I was pulled over to notify the officer it was there. Until like 1997 or so, Security Officers in Oregon did not have to be licensed. So the guys doing armed patrol didn't have any licensing, and they carried on there hip the in car. I don't know if it was because it said armed response on the car that they were able to get away with it. But back when I did armed security I drove to work with my firearm on my hip and never thought twice about it. I do believe Oregon just passed a new law that you can have a firearm locked in a glove box or center console in reach of the driver as long as its locked up. My advice is to get your CWP. Even if you never plan on carrying a firearm for personal protection, its nice to cover yourself from lope holes in ever changing laws. And it also sends a positive message to our state government. If you do get your CWP and your married, I highly recommend having your wife get hers as well, it makes it allot easier to store a firearm in the car while driving.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top