JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe I looked in the wrong place, but didn't find any threads that covered this.

I carry everywhere. I'd like to open carry while hiking in the public forests. My backpack has my camp knife on it, as well as a external pocket that I keep the hatchet. I've noticed that the back pack comes down far enough during long hikes that it blocks access to my IWB holster.

I started to wear my Beretta M71 in the shoulder holster that I inherited, at least it isn't blocked.

So, I was thinking this is Oregon, I'll just open carry.

What do you use, what is recommended, what to stay away from.

I really like the "Tom Threeperson's holsters from El Paso Saddlery...the ones with the hammer strap option.
This holster rides high and holds the gun in place...I have used them with my 1911 and S&W model 28.
Both were very comfortable to be carried on my belt , strong side all day for various outdoor activities.
Andy

I'd think a universal Uncle Mikes type belt holster would serve you well. The pistol will usually be carried very deep in these holsters, the nylon won't rot, the snap is very secure and they are cheap and available everywhere.. a pretty utilitarian type holster these days.

I carry in an Occidental Leather IWB/OWB. Solid unit. Also have an Uncle Mikes IWB that's great.

Huge fan of leather.

Bianchi um84 / 92 military flap holster would work, and retain the gun very well. Not the speediest to draw from though.

I personally just carry in an owb open top kydex, or my old level 2 security holster from my days doing the armed security thing. The kydex is lighter and thinner.

I would recommend a chest holster. They are comfortable to wear all day, remove any interference with your pack and it's belt and allow a quick and consistent draw. The best part of chest carry to me is that it stays with you when you take your pack off or when you have to take care of "business".

Desantis makes an affordable nylon, there are some $100+ That come in leather or kydex too. My personal choice is a hill people gear kit bag. It is a concealed carry and allows you to carry the essentials right up front with you in an effect manner.

Diamond D in Alaska makes an awesome chest rig. I have one for my Glock 40MOS with a spare mag carrier. It's a heavy bunch of metal with the pistol and 2 full mags, but the chest rig handles it very well.

I really like the "Tom Threeperson's holsters from El Paso Saddlery...the ones with the hammer strap option.
This holster rides high and holds the gun in place...I have used them with my 1911 and S&W model 28.
Both were very comfortable to be carried on my belt , strong side all day for various outdoor activities.
Andy

Thanks Andy, and others, for the leather holster tips!

:rolleyes:
Maybe I looked in the wrong place, but didn't find any threads that covered this.

I carry everywhere. I'd like to open carry while hiking in the public forests. My backpack has my camp knife on it, as well as a external pocket that I keep the hatchet. I've noticed that the back pack comes down far enough during long hikes that it blocks access to my IWB holster.

I started to wear my Beretta M71 in the shoulder holster that I inherited, at least it isn't blocked.

So, I was thinking this is Oregon, I'll just open carry.

What do you use, what is recommended, what to stay away from.

I wouldn't go anywhere except for Ryan @ORYGUNHolsterCompany for a custom rig. High quality at normal man prices;)

But I like my serpa because it holds the gun and you have easy access no flap no thumb break they make them for belt and chest rigs but for hiking I would stick to a belt serpa water proof also

For open carry I prefer some level of retention. G Code and Safariland both make good products. I greatly prefer a rotating hood over a snap of some sort or Safariland's open top holsters with ALS.

I have many miles under my boots with a Bianchi M12 and a G20SF. The M12 will attach to the pack's hip belt and protects the gun very well. On a solo hike into the Wonder Mountain Wilderness (no trails to guide you) I took a very bad tumble about 50' down into a draw, the gun was fine.

I would never carry IWB while hiking. My hiking pants don't even have belt loops because anything under the pack belt or straps can cause hot-spots during a long hike. I tried a chest holster with my Ruger Alaskan but the constant thumping of the holster against my sternum was maddening- like a chinese water torture that hurts too.

I've done some very long hikes through steep terrain where I would have failed miserably if I were to block the ventilation in front. Think about how bad your back sweats when you hike; now imagine that much sweat on the back and front.

EDIT to add a picture of the Bianchi Quiklok (or whatever they call it). No regular holster can be threaded onto a backpack belt because the buckle is too big. You can use a paddle holster but it isn't very secure.

2291-4.jpg

Last Edited:
Some fine points above. IMO having the gun protected and well retained is the priority when hiking. Draw speed should be last on the list as long as the gun is readily accessible.

There definitely are some disadvantages to the chest rig as with any platform. The thumping problem is part of why I prefer the kit bag. Properly adjusted, it moves with you and distributes the load evenly while completely protecting your gun from dirt and being water resistant.

One point of consideration is the belt configuration of his pack. I have packs with waist belts that will not allow anything to be attached to them either due to lack of support or exposed belt area. If the op's pack allows it, a good flap holster would be a fine choice as his knife is already affixed to it.

Last Edited:
My personal choice is a hill people gear kit bag. It is a concealed carry and allows you to carry the essentials right up front with you in an effect manner.
Me too. Great setup. I don't wear a gun belt hiking, and I like that with the kit bag my pistol is always on me, even if I need to drop my pack. Also a great way to carry some other essentials in a comfortable platform.

Upon further looking, I think I see that you're all sorted on holsters and were more wondering about..?
anyway

Can I Open Carry While Hiking/Camping in Oregon?

Thoughts on carrying while hiking.

Who Open Carries?

How do you carry when hiking?

Carry While Hiking? Legal?

Appreciate the input.

Read those when they were originally posted. Lived here since '95 and my kids grew up hiking here. I carry everywhere I go. Looking for what people use when open carrying while hiking.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top