JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reason I ask is I do not have a cwp. 20yrs ago I got a DV and was told by people that I can not get one. Before anyone bash's me on a DV it was a BS charge where the male is at fault.:( So I have to suffer!

"Offenders with a misdemeanor DV conviction and a court order restoring firearm rights have no restrictions under state law and are only prohibited from possessing modern firearms under federal law if the following conditions are met:

The offender was represented by an attorney or waived the right to an attorney.
The offender was tried by a jury or waived the right to trial by jury.
The offense has the element of force or threatened use of force. "

Washington DV Misdemeanors and Federal Law

FYI

The 10th Amendment
"the powers no delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respetively or to the people."

I am pretty sure the common definition is that this gives states broad legislative power to pass laws/codes etc... that promote the public health, safety, and welfare. Hence, a jurisdiction requiring a citizen to present their ID under certain circumstances seems to not be at odds with the constitution.

Justice Clarence Thomas (whom I greatly admire and I highly suggest you read his book 'My Grandfathers Son') once said something when speaking about the Bill of Rights something like (and I paraphrase because I do not have the exact comment at hand) 'what about a bill of obligations, or a bill of responsibilities' or something to that effect.
Dont we as Americans have an obligation to make our society operate peacefully?. We cannot help the stigma that exists related to guns. That toothpaste is long out of the tube. I am not saying we need to surrender any rights, but we need to choose how and why we exercise them. They are indeed prescious but flaunting them under the nose of those who despise them will only serve to stiffen their resolve to take them. If I was confident that we would never put politicians in office that had disregard or even contempt for the constitution I would be a lot less concerned about OC. As recent history shows, the constitution is far from safe in that regard.

FYI

We cannot help the stigma that exists related to guns. That toothpaste is long out of the tube. I am not saying we need to surrender any rights, but we need to choose how and why we exercise them. They are indeed prescious but flaunting them under the nose of those who despise them will only serve to stiffen their resolve to take them.

I disagree: Compare guns to homosexuality.

Both have had a "stigma" attached to them.
The gays have been very successful in removing the stigma and getting laws changed in their favor.

The gun owners could do the same thing.... Show gun owners favorably in movies and TV shows, have "coming out" events for gun owners, publish books like "Heather has two Glocks", have "Gun Pride" parades .... etc.

Don't give up.

FYI

The 10th Amendment
"the powers no delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respetively or to the people."

I am pretty sure the common definition is that this gives states broad legislative power to pass laws/codes etc... that promote the public health, safety, and welfare. Hence, a jurisdiction requiring a citizen to present their ID under certain circumstances seems to not be at odds with the constitution.

Justice Clarence Thomas (whom I greatly admire and I highly suggest you read his book 'My Grandfathers Son') once said something when speaking about the Bill of Rights something like (and I paraphrase because I do not have the exact comment at hand) 'what about a bill of obligations, or a bill of responsibilities' or something to that effect.
Dont we as Americans have an obligation to make our society operate peacefully?. We cannot help the stigma that exists related to guns. That toothpaste is long out of the tube. I am not saying we need to surrender any rights, but we need to choose how and why we exercise them. They are indeed prescious but flaunting them under the nose of those who despise them will only serve to stiffen their resolve to take them. If I was confident that we would never put politicians in office that had disregard or even contempt for the constitution I would be a lot less concerned about OC. As recent history shows, the constitution is far from safe in that regard.

Washington has no "Stop and Identify" law and Article 7 of the WA Constitution and case law is clear. You only have to 'verbally' give your name if the officer is writting an infraction. Or, after you have been arrested and taken to jail. Random demands for ID (when no crime is alleged) is unconstitutional under the WA constitution.

I disagree: Compare guns to homosexuality.

Both have had a "stigma" attached to them.
The gays have been very successful in removing the stigma and getting laws changed in their favor.

The gun owners could do the same thing.... Show gun owners favorably in movies and TV shows, have "coming out" events for gun owners, publish books like "Heather has two Glocks", have "Gun Pride" parades .... etc.

Don't give up.

Excellent point. We often make this point when talking about OC at the WAC shows 20 years ago sex on tv was rare...but over time it is now accepted. I will be working on a campaign to get a CC or OC into a script in Hollywood. Currently the only time you see guns on TV or in the movies is with a cop or a bad guy.

Excellent point. We often make this point when talking about OC at the WAC shows 20 years ago sex on tv was rare...but over time it is now accepted. I will be working on a campaign to get a CC or OC into a script in Hollywood. Currently the only time you see guns on TV or in the movies is with a cop or a bad guy.

Let me know if you are successful. You know that I advocate just showing your ID and be done with it, but I would certainly like citizens to accept the fact that someone open carrying is not necessarily a "bad guy"! That might help in reducing or maybe curtailing people from calling 911 every time they see someone wearing a firearm.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top