Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Open carry. For or against? And why?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by tattoo, Apr 22, 2010.

1. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Title about says it all. Lets here your opinion.
    For or against?
    No real need to say why. But I would like to here YOUR THOUGHTS. :)
    Just say
    For.
    OR
    Against.
    Dave

2. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

For

3. GRUNDEL

GRUNDEL Washougal Area Active Member

FOR

I will say FOR, but I live in Skamania County and I think it is looked upon much differently than in the Portland / Vancouver area. I could walk into the Stevenson grocery store and not sweat it. I think most of the locals would not look twice except for the ones that want to check out my piece (1911). Not the time or the place. As for heading into downtown Vancouver or Portland I would not be as comfortable and choose to carry concealed. This is just what I am comfortable doing but think it is totally up the individual. I also think there is a lot to be said for the tactical advantage of carrying concealed. Surprise, Surprise!

Just my 2 cents……

4. Hungus

Hungus SE Portland Member

I am for the right to open carry..... though I personally would choose to stay concealed.

5. gogoDawgs

gogoDawgs Federal Way, WA Active Member

FOR, and I do carry open daily as much as 90% of the time.

I carry in Seattle, Tacoma, Federal Way......that's right, downtown Seattle! With no issues other than curiousity.

I will give you this on "tactical advantage", yes you can "Surprise" the bad guy AFTER the crime has been started/committed! But the crime is now in progress. However, it is possible to DETER the crime from happening in your presence if the bad guy see's your firearm and chooses to go somewhere else.

6. 2zuks

2zuks Dallas, Oregon Member

I am for it, although I generally carry concealed. It is everyone's RIGHT to exercise as they choose to.

7. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

Gee. I forgot to put in my 2 cents.
    FOR.
    That will be all. :thumbup:
    Dave

8. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

I'm for it. Just like I'm for flag-burning, screaming at my wife in public, flipping the finger to police officers, putting pictures of aborted fetuses on my car, and calling racial minorities ugly names.

Whenever you have a constitutional right, you should exercise it fully, even if it's useless or even counterproductive. Always. Because drawing attention to yourself trumps any considerations of civil public behavior.

9. gogoDawgs

gogoDawgs Federal Way, WA Active Member

Ugh! How is carrying a properly holstered handgun equivalent to the immoral, unethical and downright tawdry behavior you describe above? All but one require an action, while carrying a handgun in a holster is passive.

How is carrying openly useless? How is it counterproductive?

How is it not civil public behavior?

I will say this again, 99.99% of the people in public do not see the firearm I carry openly because my BEHAVIOR and DRESS form trust in the public setting. It is not about an inanimate object, but rather about the behavior and demeanor of the person behind the firearm.

10. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

How many times times must the same subject come up before it is put in the never ending pointless pile.

CEF, that was a hoot! By that way, has that aborted fetus car proven any good for picking up babes?

11. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

FOR.

for your rights to do so..... but its just not for me. :eek:

12. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

:thumbup::thumbup:

13. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

For.

14. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

"Lo' I am become Sarcasm, destroyer of Threads!"

I'm against it. I'm also against free speech that offends me, dresses that reveal too much ankle, and people sitting at the front of the bus if they don't have my skin color.

15. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

For.

I carry concealed most of the time though, due to the element of surprise. I don't want a BG to have me as their primary target. Surprise!

Will

16. M.Link

M.Link Guest

I think there is no real need on a daily bases. But, I don't want to lose the right! I do it in the outdoors all the time. Just don't need to or want to anywhere else. I guess I'm split on it.

17. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Im Completely for it... Though i hardly do it due to the fact im tired of getting asked to leave stores lol

18. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

For it.

I usually stay concealed too though. I'm just not a big fan of drawing unnecessary attention to myself, but I strongly believe others should be able to do so if they don't mind it. I can think of a few cases where open carry might be the most practical thing to do as well.

Suppose you're out jogging or biking on a hot day? I just got my carry permit last December so this will be something I will have to experiment with soon. Are you going to wear enough clothes to cover your gun? Are you going to simply switch to a tiny .380? Too much clothes will be too hot and I prefer to carry a full size handgun. I think this coming summer I may switch to open carry when I'm out exercising.

19. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

For.

I open carry in all cases except when I have to by rules not laws, such as: I carry concealed at work and at Costco as work does not allow carry, so better to hide it and protect myself than open carry, get fired, or not carry and get killed,
    BTW: before I carried I have been drawn down again by a psychotic man out of anger at the company, not me personally, but he was going to use me as the message (I was lucky to talk my way out of it though), assaulted, etc. at work, big reason in me carrying to begin with.
    Or at places like Costco, who don't care about firearms, they just have a policy about visible firearms, I respect their wishes and want to keep shopping there, so I will tuck it in when I go there or other places' private property with similar rules. Otherwise, I open carry everywhere I go.

20. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

WITH this one!!