JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have started riding my bike everyday to try and lose some weight. When I ride all I wear is shorts and a muscle shirt so it is most comfortable for me to open carry my gun, the main reason I do this is because I do not like the feeling of the gun rubbing on my bare skin and I do not want sweat getting on my gun.

I do not want to start some big argument on the pros and cons of open carry! I only open carry while I ride my bike out of comfort, I do not go out to ride my bike while open carrying to get the cops called on me and make a youtube video.

So I was riding my bike and I come up behind two boys on bikes between ages 10-12. As I passed them I heard one of them say he has a gun. I just kept riding and then pulled over at a park for my water break, after a minute or so the two boys came riding up and came right up to me and said, why are you carrying a gun and I said for my protection and that is my right to do so under the second amendment.

They said your not a cop you cant carry a gun, I replied you do not have to be a police officer to carry a gun and they said yeah but you cant carry in the store and I replied yes I can and proceeded to tell them places that you could and could not carry, I was not going to tell the that I have a CHL as the was none of their business.

They kept asking why are you allowed to carry a gun, once again I was not going to tell them that I have a CHL so I said it is my right to do so under the second amendment, and they said what is that. I was in total shock, I replied the second amendment to the constitution the right of the people to bear arms and they said they have never heard of it. I did not feel like going into a teaching lesson and I wanted to get back to my ride so I told them that when they get home to look up the constitution and read it and then I went back to my ride.

This just really hit me how bad things are getting, schools are not teaching kids about some of the most important things they should know about our country, it no wonder some kids are turning out the way they are now days.

That is why they don't allow it to be taught in schools much any more. The less the "next generation" knows, the more garbage they can feed the sheeple. Each generation gets more and more oblivious.....

I am not particularly surprised that they didn't know the laws regarding open carry - a lot of adults don't. It is not unheard of to see posts on various forums asking about the process to get a gun "registered" in Oregon or Washington. I've had people ask me that face to face too.

Not knowing about the Second Amendment - that is a bit surprising - but then a lot of people are basically ignorant anyway, and children still have a lot to learn. It may have been mentioned in class and they were just not paying attention.

On the ignorant kids... Whadya gonna do? Take care of your own I guess an hope everyone else will too (though that's obviously far from what happens).

On registering a gun, I do that on firearms I carry for protection. I want as few reasons for them to try and make me out as a bad guy as possible should I ever have to use it.

Other then that, I lost all my guns in a boating accident...

I am not particularly surprised that they didn't know the laws regarding open carry - a lot of adults don't. It is not unheard of to see posts on various forums asking about the process to get a gun "registered" in Oregon or Washington. I've had people ask me that face to face too.

Not knowing about the Second Amendment - that is a bit surprising - but then a lot of people are basically ignorant anyway, and children still have a lot to learn. It may have been mentioned in class and they were just not paying attention.

I was not surprised at all that they did not know open carry laws, it was not knowing about the second amendment that shocked me.

on a side note, http://www.pistolwear.com/ has some holsters for joggers that would work well for you if you wanted to carry concealed while riding. They have ones for the waste and the chest. I've worn mine hiking and when out playing disc golf and they are quite comfortable and keep the gun secure.

Last Edited:
This just really hit me how bad things are getting, schools are not teaching kids about some of the most important things they should know about our country, it no wonder some kids are turning out the way they are now days.

Maybe they were home schooled? Maybe you should be asking about why their parents have not taught them about their rights? Maybe they were crappy students, did you quiz then on math, spelling and history too? Maybe we should rely on the state to properly educate our kids.

Kudos for OCing!

Ive always said, "why should my comfort be compromised as to not scare the sheeple and hoplophobes?

Why should I spend a fortune on different laughable concealed carry methods when I have a good OTW holster?..& quite a few I might add!
:)
OCing in a bike is actually a little more sheeple (socially) acceptable in the sheeples eyes.

Im there, then Im gone.. Their timid nerves have a chance to settle before they even know what they saw..
A firearm, OMG!

Ride on brother.
When don't weight half as much as a smart car Ill be right there with you. Great exercise.

On the ignorant kids... Whadya gonna do? Take care of your own I guess an hope everyone else will too (though that's obviously far from what happens).

On registering a gun, I do that on firearms I carry for protection. I want as few reasons for them to try and make me out as a bad guy as possible should I ever have to use it.

Hey now that is my story! crabbing tragedy in deep bay while I happened to have all of my guns. Robotic Obama crabs are to blame. Sorry to inform you but it was no accident your guns got lost.

Really though I ride my bike every day unless there is some extremely good reason not to. I carry my wifes pink LCP in my pocket and as far as sweat I just give it a good rub when I get back and then a light oiling from a rag in my cleaning kit that seems to always have some oil moisture left since it is put to use often.
OC here could cause a big scene. People in Beaverton seem to call the cops at the mention of a gun.

Even if they did not I prefer the element of surprise with any gun I carry.

Oddly, although I've coached my grandson about the second amendment, he had a 6th grade school project regarding gun rights a few months ago. When he came to me with additional questions I helped and then questioned him about anti bias from his instructor. Apparently not, he understands what bias means and his teacher was fine with his project. Wow! This guy won't last long!

You see those guys at the stoplights doing all kinds of antics to not put their feet down when stopped?
Don't be that guy.. just pack this.. an already deployed kickstand! Guaranteed they'll tip over due to their slackjaw wrecking their balance.

103498d22a0f6c5ec381cdb48c4fddb0.jpg

You see those guys at the stoplights doing all kinds of antics to not put their feet down when stopped?
Don't be that guy.. just pack this.. an already deployed kickstand! Guaranteed they'll tip over due to their slackjaw wrecking their balance.

View attachment 97559
I seriously hate the bikes that lock your feet in and people try to keep them up without having to slide their foot out of the lock. What is wrong with simple peddles and a good pair of running shoes.

So tell me - just how do you "register" a gun in Washington or Oregon??

As far as I know no government registration exists in either state.

Most states do not have a "gun registration" mechanism.

The obvious exceptions are states like California, Connecticut, D.C., etc. - but they are a small minority of the the states.

So tell me - just how do you "register" a gun in Washington or Oregon??

As far as I know no government registration exists in either state.

Most states do not have a "gun registration" mechanism.

The obvious exceptions are states like California, Connecticut, D.C., etc. - but they are a small minority of the the states.
None in Oregon but I thought Washington CHL holders had to register their handguns.

I'm pondering if when I was a kid in the same age what I knew about the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Granted I was a fairly odd child, so I'm fairly sure I knew about these things. Though, most of the kids around me didn't have that great of grasp on things like this.

I doubt that even my parents generation or my grandparents generation would have been much better. I'm fairly sure this isn't that abnormal.

Now, sometimes around that age we did go over the Declaration of Independence. But not as much the other documents. Later on we did cover all of these things in much more depth, but at 10 to 12 I'm fairly sure we didn't. Mostly Oregon history and broad strokes of American and world history.

Perhaps it was an excellent opportunity to really education the kids on something they may have never really encountered? It sounds like you weren't in the mood, as you were working out, and I understand that. But as an apparent responsible gun owner, it really is up to you (and me and all of us) to go above and beyond to educate people. That is one of the few ways we have to combat the hoplophobia.

I lived in Washington a lot of my life and as of 5 years ago or so I did not have to do anything of the sort. That or I was ignorant to something that everyone I knew was also oblivious to.

Have you purchased a gun in Washington?? Did you or the FFL fill out that 3part form?/ If you did your gun is registered.

I'm pondering if when I was a kid in the same age what I knew about the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Granted I was a fairly odd child, so I'm fairly sure I knew about these things. Though, most of the kids around me didn't have that great of grasp on things like this.

I doubt that even my parents generation or my grandparents generation would have been much better. I'm fairly sure this isn't that abnormal.

Now, sometimes around that age we did go over the Declaration of Independence. But not as much the other documents. Later on we did cover all of these things in much more depth, but at 10 to 12 I'm fairly sure we didn't. Mostly Oregon history and broad strokes of American and world history.

Perhaps it was an excellent opportunity to really education the kids on something they may have never really encountered? It sounds like you weren't in the mood, as you were working out, and I understand that. But as an apparent responsible gun owner, it really is up to you (and me and all of us) to go above and beyond to educate people. That is one of the few ways we have to combat the hoplophobia.

The last part really resonates, one could have talked to the boys about airsoft, bb guns and what all young kids usually dig "snipers"
(forgive the nomenclature)
Talk about competition, hunting as well as defensive purposes.
But I think it too could have been a great learning experience for the boys. I also agree with other members to plant that curiosity in the boys minds.. Ask them to ask their parents about it, to also look it up and come to a conclusion on their own. Perhaps talk about the fact that law enforcement isn't always around and its civilians who are on the immediate scene as a first response to stop crime before it gets out of hand. I have a few stories I could think of.

But OP has a point sometimes a learning lesson can be daunting if the child is of an anti or ignorant sheep.. Better luck talking sense into a dog.

I have a very young second cousin (8-11ish) who had asked the same thing, though his parents were "country" he didn't get it
(me OCing on our farm) and didn't want to hear me say my part. He was too far brainwashed.. And he was family. Uhg.

Schools, media and his parents had tainted his mind. College is the final push into full fledged sheepage.

So I can understand why the OP didn't want to piss away time talking to kids whom haven't developed cognitive logic abilities.
Time is money.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads