JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I looked up the elementary school he mentioned and it appears that it is in Missouri. I tend to think he would have had a different experience had he been in Lake Oswego or Bellevue.

If you look at the responses to the video, it looks like there will be petitions flying in no time. He is not getting the intended result, no matter how well he thought he was doing with the soccer mom.

Wondering when the DOJ and Holder will jump all over this!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

The White Beret Mom says she is ok with it if the person has a permit and is well trained.
But, as bystanders neither we nor she know that.

Deen

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Not sure open carry is a great idea, but banning teachers with licenses doesn't make sense.

I believe the St Helens school district *just* approved their teachers to carry if they have a license!!!

I gotta tell you I only want someone that is trained carrying a firearm. I don't want someone that just plopped down 400.00 at Cabela's and starts carrying it around. Train, train and more training then carry.

It's not your position in life to tell someone what to do. If they meet the legal requirements that's all that counts. And I'm not sure there should even be "legal requirements" to exercise a right given to us by our creator.
You sound like a "closet" gun banner.

Deen

Interesting responses, looks like I struck a nerve, It was not my intent to anger.

First of all, It is everyone's God given right to protect themselves; I or anyone else does not need the 2nd amendment telling them that they can protect themselves. PERIOD!

Wouldn't you rather have someone that has had training backing you up if a situation occurs? Of course you would. You wouldn't want someone that has never held a pistol backing you up.

With carrying a firearm comes great responsibility and by doing some training it can help you prepare for a situation. I would rather see the shooter laid out dead instead of a child or a teacher that was trying to protect her class with only her body.

Just because I buy running shoes does not make me a runner, and likewise just because one buys a firearm does not make them an expert marksman.

Too many people have "accidental discharges" even those that get training. Here in Eugene we lost a police officer when he was at the range to sight in his rifle and he pulled his rifle out by the muzzle and it went off killing him. There are mishaps even with our troops who have had extensive training.

Any time there is a shooting or someone does something bad that puts guns in the news it gives the anti's more fuel to try and take away more gun rights.

I stand by my words, I believe if you buy a firearm, you should get some training. If you don't agree that's ok I respect that opinion, but just because we don't agree does not mean that I or anyone else should be told to ST#U. My opinion (and yours) is protected by the 1st amendment.

PS I am glad to see people not freaking out at the elementary because someone is open carrying. Some how I don't think it would fly out here though.

Oh for the guy that thinks I am a "closet gun banner" I do have 3 chl's (Florida, Utah and Oregon) and that still does not make me an expert.

I think you will find few of us who would disagree about the importance of training, and everyoneshould know basic gun safety and handling.

What we reject is the idea that you have to have training in order to purchase, own, even conceal carry a firearm.

This websights primary mission statement is to defend and promote the 2nd amendment, and the gun culture in general. Just saying.

==============================================================

Interesting responses, looks like I struck a nerve, It was not my intent to anger.

First of all, It is everyone's God given right to protect themselves; I or anyone else does not need the 2nd amendment telling them that they can protect themselves. PERIOD!

Wouldn't you rather have someone that has had training backing you up if a situation occurs? Of course you would. You wouldn't want someone that has never held a pistol backing you up.

With carrying a firearm comes great responsibility and by doing some training it can help you prepare for a situation. I would rather see the shooter laid out dead instead of a child or a teacher that was trying to protect her class with only her body.

Just because I buy running shoes does not make me a runner, and likewise just because one buys a firearm does not make them an expert marksman.

Too many people have "accidental discharges" even those that get training. Here in Eugene we lost a police officer when he was at the range to sight in his rifle and he pulled his rifle out by the muzzle and it went off killing him. There are mishaps even with our troops who have had extensive training.

Any time there is a shooting or someone does something bad that puts guns in the news it gives the anti's more fuel to try and take away more gun rights.

I stand by my words, I believe if you buy a firearm, you should get some training. If you don't agree that's ok I respect that opinion, but just because we don't agree does not mean that I or anyone else should be told to ST#U. My opinion (and yours) is protected by the 1st amendment.

PS I am glad to see people not freaking out at the elementary because someone is open carrying. Some how I don't think it would fly out here though.

Oh for the guy that thinks I am a "closet gun banner" I do have 3 chl's (Florida, Utah and Oregon) and that still does not make me an expert.

I gotta tell you I only want someone that is trained carrying a firearm. I don't want someone that just plopped down 400.00 at Cabela's and starts carrying it around. Train, train and more training then carry.

the problem with this is how do you put a limit on who is allowed to protect themselves?

Self defense is a civil right for all. Keep in mind that it isn't just the idea of protecting helpless children, the teachers lives are at risk and under direct attack in a school shooting just as much as the children.

The Second Amendment says nothing about training....what "we" like and how history, reality and logic defines things are two separate matters.

For example, every time I walk into my local Walmart, I want and wish that more people would take a class on inbreeding, basic hygiene and grooming, parenting skills and why people with low IQ's shouldn't cohabit and mate.....but reality and history prove otherwise.

I think you will find few of us who would disagree about the importance of training, and everyoneshould know basic gun safety and handling.

What we reject is the idea that you have to have training in order to purchase, own, even conceal carry a firearm.

This websights primary mission statement is to defend and promote the 2nd amendment, and the gun culture in general. Just saying.

==============================================================

I agree completely and training with firearms will help promote a better gun culture.
No I am not saying that you have to have training to buy a firearm, but I do think it is the responsible thing to do.

I guess I keyed on the word SHOULD, but did not go as far to say MUST. I do hope we can promote a good gun culture but I also think it starts with us as gun owners so we don't tear each gun owner down when someone doesn't agree with what another gun owner says. That is one of the things that is killing the republican leadership.

Thanks for the great discussion.

Last Edited:
The Second Amendment says nothing about training....what "we" like and how history, reality and logic defines things are two separate matter.

For example, every time I walk into my local Walmart, I want and wish that more people would take a class on inbreeding, basic hygiene and grooming, parenting skills and why people with low IQ's shouldn't cohabit and mate.....but reality and history prove otherwise.

I agree it is the right to bear arms. You don't have to get training.

Hey... I shop at Wal-Mart. (sometimes)

the problem with this is how do you put a limit on who is allowed to protect themselves?

Self defense is a civil right for all. Keep in mind that it isn't just the idea of protecting helpless children, the teachers lives are at risk and under direct attack in a school shooting just as much as the children.

Agreed 100%

Defending yourself is a God given right, no matter how you do it, and you don't need the 2nd to say you can defend yourself. If your defending yourself you do it anyway you can with what ever you can, from sling shot to cannon, if that's what you got then defend away.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top