JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon Public Broadcasting's radio show "Think Out Loud" had a show about open carry on Friday April 2. Guests were

• Bob Albrecht: Reporter for the Columbian newspaper
  • Jim Beal: Open Carry advocate
  • Dave Workman: Spokesman for the Second Amendment Foundation, and editor and reporter for Gunweek
  • Ginny Burdick: Democratic State Senator
  • Ralph Fascitelli: President of the Board of Washington Ceasefire

You can listen to it or download it at Unpacking Heat

Last Edited:
Oregon Public Broadcasting's radio show "Think Out Loud" had a show about open carry on Friday April 2. Guests were

• Bob Albrecht: Reporter for the Columbian newspaper
  • Jim Beal: Open Carry advocate
  • Dave Workman: Spokesman for the Second Amendment Foundation, and editor and reporter for Gunweek
  • Ginny Burdick: Democratic State Senator
  • Ralph Fascitelli: President of the Board of Washington Ceasefire

You can listen to it or download it at <broken link removed>

Ginny Burdick is the worst anti-gun zealot in Oregon government.

Ginny Burdick is the worst anti-gun zealot in Oregon government.

She made a revealing comment during the program. She said she was raised in a hunting family, and the two things she was taught were to treat all guns as loaded, and if there is a gun in the area and she didn't know the person carrying it she should get away from there. She was raised to be fearful of strangers who had guns. She also said "seeing a gun is inherently an alarming situation for many people" and after learning how she was raised it's easy to see why she feels that way. Unfortunately, she is in a position to turn her phobia into laws that affect everyone.

I live in Oregon, I've had a CHL for 4 years. I carry concealed most of the time. At work I carry open sometimes, my employer is fine with that. When I see someone open carry in public I find my self wanting to ask them about there gun and what kind of ammo the use.

The only time I'm concerned about open carry for myself is when I'm going into stores. Mostly I just keep in concealed.

I do want to bring something up however.

According to State law in Oregon a CHL holder may carry in ANY public place except Court houses, Native land and Federal buildings.

OSU and U of O are public places as is the Portland Airport and the Malls yet they display signs posting even CHL holders cannot carry on there property.

This is illegal correct?

I have read a few story's about people getting arrested then released but not convicted for conceal carry in such places. So is it my understanding they just want to scare people off that have the right to carry?

I would like this to be clear and printed so I can carry a copy on me if I was harassed, not that I'm looking for trouble I just want to be prepared.

Thanks

Matthew

But she is the darling to many here on the board. Ye old liberal left, even the firearms owners who voted for bho, love her.

I really think Dave Workman hit the nail on the head about her fear. It is HER fear and not mine, and is HER problem and not mine. There is NO way any one of us can be responsible for the fears of every other person out there in society.

Dan was pointing this out as being precedence set by the court of appeals, but got cut off a little at the end of his comment.

That Jim Beal is an idiot. I'm all for carrying a concealed firearm, but I'm still not sure about open carrying for the following reason: In essence, Jim carrys a gun because he doesn't trust his safety to those around him. He walks around with heightened alertness/"yellow", and yet really he's asking the general public around him to completely trust him i.e. his judgment, skills, etc. Furthermore, he says that he's not trying to send any message by wearing a side arm. Really?? Dude, take responsibility. Intended or not. You're sending a message! It's idiots like this that make it easy for extreme liberals to pounce. Have some realistic sense man!

It is interesting how the Urban areas of the country have become so sensitive to gun ownership and open carry.

Growing up on a farm, as I did, guns were simply a tool. Nothing to fear but like a lawn mower or an axe you learned to respect them. You teach children at a young age to be careful when handling a knife, since it can injure you.

Guns to me are the same, just a tool.

To see people carrying a rifle or an handgun was a common occurrence. Never thought a thing about it.

My point: Watch too much TV and it can make you scared of firearms. The constant gun battles and killing shown daily has created a public that is ultra sensitive to guns. People are conditioned to fear firearms.

Daily open carry can change that. See enough people carrying firearms in public after a time you don't even notice them anymore. You soon learn that there will not be gun fights in the streets as all the anti-gun nuts insist will happen.

Remember when the first concealed carry laws were established. Remember the anti-gun groups shrill cries about the "blood in the streets" that was sure to follow.

Same deal with open carry. Carry the guns and you desensitize the public after a given time frame.

I am not into open carry in the public because I want the advantage of surprise if I need my weapon. But I support those who choose to open carry if they so desire.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top