JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First let me apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I was wondering what the open carry culture was like in Southern and coastal Oregon. I have my CHL so I know I am exempt from any local laws, but I wanted to make sure it was somewhat socially acceptable to open carry in Lake, Klamath, and then the coastal counties (Jackson, Josephine, Coos, Douglas, Lane, Lincoln, Benton, etc.). I'll be carrying concealed when I get up to north western part of Oregon since I'll be visiting Portland.

Even though I have my CHL my picture looks quite a bit different than when I got it and my first name has changed. I'll be carrying my CHL and legal name change document from state of CA. I'll also be with my dogs (husky and stafford terrier). Without going into too much detail, I do not look like someone out to commit crimes. I'm fairly confident I don't fit that stereotype. I'd just prefer to draw as little law enforcement attention as possible. I'm not out to make a political statement.

I can't speak for southern OR or the southern OR coast, but I would caution about any open carry in Lincoln county - lots and lots of anti-gun folks, CA retirees, etc. that won't be open to that. And based on the fact that a lot of Portland folks vacation on the coast, I would also rule out Tillamook and Clatsop counties for open carry. All that is, of course, if you would prefer to avoid any negative attention.

Do you have an Oregon CHL?

Also, in lake county, you will be shot dead on sight. A lot of drugs come up from CA from down that way, some of them will find their way on your corps, and in your vehicle. :confused:

I have an Oregon CHL. Can't tell if your serious or not...Lake County was the sheriff who issued me a non resident CHL.

I can't speak for southern OR or the southern OR coast, but I would caution about any open carry in Lincoln county - lots and lots of anti-gun folks, CA retirees, etc. that won't be open to that. And based on the fact that a lot of Portland folks vacation on the coast, I would also rule out Tillamook and Clatsop counties for open carry. All that is, of course, if you would prefer to avoid any negative attention.

Good to know. I'm not out to make a statement of have LE detain me.

If you have your CHL, why would you need to open carry and attract unwanted attention to yourself?

Convenience, comfort, and as I said I'm not trying to attract attention, hence the question about where it's socially acceptable to open carry.

You may not be trying to attract attention, but you will. Even from gun friendly folks like me who are OK with open carry. However, you will still be noticed, watched and evaluated.

I'm a Portland native that lived in San Diego for a few years and when I see people open carrying I take a few seconds to evaluate their attitude, posture, holster, and firearm then move on unless something looks fishy.

I would still recommend open carrying only in the woods. You can still wear owb but put a longer shirt on the outside of it or a vest.

"Open carry culture"? Don't know nothin' 'bout that but hopefully you know a little hand-to-hand stuff lest you be treated like a sunglass carousel that has guns on it by someone who was just out shopping for said items that day.
And even if you do, a brick in the back of the head is hard to defend against.

Side note,

I volunteered with OPB as basically an equipment Sherpa when they were filming some ice caves on hood. I was open carrying my glock 19 and none of them noticed. I brought up firearm rights to the narrator as we were hiking back to the trail head and we went about casually talking about how important firearms coupled with safety are for our civil rights. I brought up the fact that nobody said anything about the glock I
had holstered on my backpacks waist belt (12 o clock) and he said "I didn't know you had that on you" and said nothing more about it.

This FB post today by Eugene Idiot Girl Laurie Notaro sums up the liberal tolerance in Oregon:

"While in Safeway just now, I noticed a big shot with a gun in a holster. Real gun. Walking like he was carrying a real gun. This has never happened to me before. I have been in Safeway a million times, but this was the first time I ever felt like bubblegum had the real possibility of going down. If I had a kid with me, I would have left. What I do know is that Big Shot With A Gun was threatening my safety by just having a gun. It felt enraging. I felt myself flush with anger. I watched him as he got into his big shot truck, bigger than my house, and drove away with a filthy queen-sized box spring in the back of it, not tied down. The last time I saw an unsecured box spring, it was in the middle of I-5 where it had just caused a fatal accident after flying out of the back of that truck. So if you're not smart enough to tie down a box spring because it can kill people, you sure as bubblegum should not be allowed to carry a gun into my bubbleguming Safeway. You are simply more stupid than a bag of dog bubblegum. I hate guns. And I loathe people who have them."

This FB post today by Eugene Idiot Girl Laurie Notaro sums up the liberal tolerance in Oregon:

"While in Safeway just now, I noticed a big shot with a gun in a holster. Real gun. Walking like he was carrying a real gun. This has never happened to me before. I have been in Safeway a million times, but this was the first time I ever felt like bubblegum had the real possibility of going down. If I had a kid with me, I would have left. What I do know is that Big Shot With A Gun was threatening my safety by just having a gun. It felt enraging. I felt myself flush with anger. I watched him as he got into his big shot truck, bigger than my house, and drove away with a filthy queen-sized box spring in the back of it, not tied down. The last time I saw an unsecured box spring, it was in the middle of I-5 where it had just caused a fatal accident after flying out of the back of that truck. So if you're not smart enough to tie down a box spring because it can kill people, you sure as bubblegum should not be allowed to carry a gun into my bubbleguming Safeway. You are simply more stupid than a bag of dog bubblegum. I hate guns. And I loathe people who have them."

And I bet she has a big fat coexist sticker on her smart car.

A comment left under that post:

"I believe in gun control but I still believe in the right to bear arms. We need better regulations. You should have to have a license to own a gun. You should have to prove you know how to use it safely to get the license. You should have to prove you have a safe to keep it in. You should have to pass mental health checks periodically to get and keep your license. And there should be harsh penalties for failing to comply with those regulations."

I wanted to reply "Go back to England", but Laurie Notaro blocked me several months ago for simply trying to explain the difference between semi-auto and full-auto. To them Guns = Bad. You have a Gun therefore you must be Bad. Except for cops. They are ok unless they are trying to break up a protest. Then cops are pigs.

Yea, you will be attracting attention, probably mostly harmless, but I've always felt carrying openly paints a target on your back, especially if you appear to be travelling, or alone.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top