JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know the legalities of open carry at the gun rally this weekend? I am considering open carrying there just for something different. Mainly because it gives me a reason to buy a drop leg holster or gives me an excuse to wear my cowboy gun. :)

Open, loaded carry is legal in Salem for CHL holders. Non licensees may carry openly but NOT LOADED.

License holders may carry inside the Capitol (when it's open) but others may not since it is a "public building."

Open, loaded carry is legal in Salem for CHL holders. Non licensees may carry openly but NOT LOADED.

License holders may carry inside the Capitol (when it's open) but others may not since it is a "public building."

Kevin, are those State of Oregon Laws or City of Salem Laws? I am a CHL holder now, but I thought that a non-felon citizen could open carry LOADED for personal protection (on a bike path for example) in most areas of Oregon except in Multnomah County and 5 cities.

Other than Federal (Ports, Postal, VA), in what ""public buildings" is it not legal to open carry?

Kevin, are those State of Oregon Laws or City of Salem Laws? I am a CHL holder now, but I thought that a non-felon citizen could open carry LOADED for personal protection (on a bike path for example) in most areas of Oregon except in Multnomah County and 5 cities.

Other than Federal (Ports, Postal, VA), in what ""public buildings" is it not legal to open carry?

The State allows cities to regulate loaded carry in public places by those without CHL's and Salem is one of those places.

The public building statute only applies to non license holders.

Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

Don't scare the sheep, guys. They need to think of us as one of them.

So you opinion is that we can only win if we make guns invisible? That we have to keep guns out of the picture to make the point that guns are not the issue? Carrying an open sidearm designed for self defense is not equivalent to slinging a long gun on your back in public. Do you feel incapable of making an argument that could easily defeat any opposition that tried to demonize carrying a self defense handgun openly?

Im going to OC, The sheeple be damned.

All groups who are proud of who they are and what they represent don't care what the onlookers or opposition thinks.

Its high time we do the same. It wont hurt our cause one bit so long as all who attend are responsible, muzzle/trigger conscious, respectful and for the most part articulate
(if talking to the media) 2A advocates.

They are (the antis and our elected officials) seeking to end our freedom anyhow. Nothing is going to change their minds carrying or not but a very loud and represented voice will.

If anything its an opportunity to carry something you've always wanted to carry (for new owners) or perhaps a way to show off a new toy.. A bunch of reasons not all are as superficial as the mentioned.

I do it because its my right
I do it because its my responsibility as an eligible militia man.
I do it to be prepared when and if duty calls.

What is the point you are trying to make by open carry at a rally or other event?

How is it helpful in terms of protecting the 2A rights?

How does it help to foster a more positive image of firearm owners among the non-shooting public?

What is the point you are trying to make by open carry at a rally or other event?

How does it help to foster a more positive image of firearm owners among the non-shooting public?
How is open carrying a handgun in a responsible manner not a positive image? Do you allow what is positive to be defined by the opposition?

PP got the answer to his question. Excellent response from Kevin as I am sure others had wondered also. What that means for everyone else is quit bıtchıng and JUST SHOW UP!

How is open carrying a handgun in a responsible manner not a positive image? Do you allow what is positive to be defined by the opposition?

True, and open carry has never caused me any grief personally. Around thirty years ago I was working in a local grocery store when an older man brought in a shotgun. Most of the employees freaked out - remember this was a time when every truck had a rifle rack complete with usually a 30-30. I read his body language as non-threatening and casually approached and asked him about his shotgun. Turns out that he had walked from his home to his gunsmith to pick up his repaired shotgun and decided to do some shopping on his way home. To me no big deal, but most of the other clerks were shaken a bit even when I explained and even after the gent had left.

The moral is to you (and me) it's no big deal, but to those who aren't part of our culture it can appear to be quite threatening.

I'd like to get back to my first and most important question: What is the point you are trying to make by open carry at a rally or other event?

I'm seeking to understand and not trying to be critical.

There are quite a few responses from people in Oregon, but not sure what the laws are in Washington. Oregon doesn't recognize CHL laws from other states, so you're limited to unloaded unless you have an Oregon CHL. That is, unless you're attending the rally in Olympia. In that case the Washington laws apply.

An excuse to buy a new holster and wear a cowboy hat??? Guess I'm one of those that just doesn't understand your purpose.

I open carried two black rifles at the 2013 rally in Olympia, and as I was a friendly gent I even got a fair and effective video interview from a Seattle TV station that aired that night. I was cogent and brief and it was effective. The issue isn't the guns, it's responsible and polite behavior that wins minds

That we are your fellow citizens and we can have a totally responsible rally with guns and no problems, and that WE are not the problem. Keep hiding out of unreasoning fear and no one will even know we exist

There are quite a few responses from people in Oregon, but not sure what the laws are in Washington. Oregon doesn't recognize CHL laws from other states, so you're limited to unloaded unless you have an Oregon CHL. That is, unless you're attending the rally in Olympia. In that case the Washington laws apply.

An excuse to buy a new holster and wear a cowboy hat??? Guess I'm one of those that just doesn't understand your purpose.
I have an Oregon carry license.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads