JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was grocery shopping yesterday and came across a gentleman in the cereal isle open carrying a pistol in a kydex holster.....No big deal as I fully believe in the 2nd amendment and a persons right to defend themselves. Why else would I be here on this forum. Anyways, what blew me away was this guy was obviously not aware of his surroundings. I mean I was checking to see if I could figure out who the manufacture of the pistol he had on was, and checking out the holster it was in, and quickly realized he was not paying any attention to me, or anyone else around him as the store was packed. I felt like I could have easily reached over and grabbed the gun out of his holster and done god knows what with it had I wanted to.....assuming it was loaded. But in my book why carry a unloaded firearm right? Anyway, I thought about having a conversation with the guy but didn't think it would have not been very well received. So I wrote him off as an idiot, and moved on. I now regret that decision. Whether I pissed him off or not, maybe he would have learned something or maybe not, but I should have at least tried. I don't know about you guys......but I personally prefer to conceal carry for many reasons. One of those reasons is I don't like to bring attention to myself, and another reason is that I like the element of surprise. Why show your cards if you don't have to.

I was grocery shopping yesterday and came across a gentleman in the cereal isle open carrying a pistol in a kydex holster.....No big deal as I fully believe in the 2nd amendment and a persons right to defend themselves. Why else would I be here on this forum. Anyways, what blew me away was this guy was obviously not aware of his surroundings. I mean I was checking to see if I could figure out who the manufacture of the pistol he had on was, and checking out the holster it was in, and quickly realized he was not paying any attention to me, or anyone else around him as the store was packed. I felt like I could have easily reached over and grabbed the gun out of his holster and done god knows what with it had I wanted to.....assuming it was loaded. But in my book why carry a unloaded firearm right? Anyway, I thought about having a conversation with the guy but didn't think it would have not been very well received. So I wrote him off as an idiot, and moved on. I now regret that decision. Whether I pissed him off or not, maybe he would have learned something or maybe not, but I should have at least tried. I don't know about you guys......but I personally prefer to conceal carry for many reasons. One of those reasons is I don't like to bring attention to myself, and another reason is that I like the element of surprise. Why show your cards if you don't have to.
Just move on, natural selection will clean the gene pool...

He's was probably thinking "Who the F' is this jackoff checking out my azz." and running mental images of crushing your larynx. :s0140:

If there's a retention device, it would be more difficult and take more effort to remove.
IMHO

Obviously you disagree.
terdog, Is that your 9mm with the special trigger? My wife and I are finally in our new home in Hayden. Once we get everything unpacked, you and your wife should stop by for a chat and a beer, if you are a beer drinker. I am, because I am also a home brewer. For me BBB does not stand for Better Business Bureau but Beer, Bullets and Brass or something like that.

If theres a retention device, it would be more difficult and take more effort to remove.
IMHO

Obviously you disagree.
If he was in the canned goods aisle you could just conk him on the head with a 16oz can of stewed tomatoes and take whatever you want. Cereal aisle though...that would take a lot of hits to the head with the Wheaties boxes and definitely waste precious time. :s0012:

How one carries a firearm is a personal choice.
It is not up to me , to make that choice for them or tell them how to carry.

However , something to consider here is :
Whenever someone does anything in the public eye with a firearm , they are representing all firearm owners.

And while I do not have a problem with open carry*...it can be seen as scary or stupid by the non firearm owning pubic.
Again its not my place to judge others , or tell them how to do things , let alone , how or what to think.

With all that said....
if I am at an appropriate time and place , I may suggest some other methods of carrying a firearm , if I think my advice will be seen as helpful.

* As a general rule...like anything time and place plays a role here for me.
Some places I go , no one would bat an eye if they me saw with a firearm...others places it could cause some concern.
We do indeed have a Right to keep and bear Arms....but this Right also needs to be exercised with responsibility .

By this I mean....we do not live in this world alone...and we have to take into account that others we interact with , may think differently and not view our actions in the same light as we do.

This is not to say that one needs to be overly "PC" in words , thought or deeds or that one has to stop doing , saying or believing in certain things...

Just saying that what you say and do , may not only be seen as a refection of you , but all gun owners.
And that what you say and do , may not be viewed as you wish it to be.
Andy

I prefer CC for all the foregoing reasons, retention and surprise factor being paramount. Demonstrating situational awareness is the most important behavior in avoiding criminal attack. Having your face buried in your phone while you move through reality blissfully ignorant of your surroundings is an invitation to anybody watching that you're almost a willing victim.

Does Eugene have restrictions to non-CHL holder's for open carry like Portland? IE, no loaded open carry for non-CHL holder's, not even a loaded speed loader.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top