JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cargo hidden under pallets IN the trucks floor?

Sounds kind of suspicious but then they also say a .308 round fits an AK-47. I didn't know that, guess I missed it.

That part about the ammo being "hidden under pallets" and intended for AK-47 is what "Mexican prosecutors said." Likely the only experience they have with ammunition is dodging boolits in the streets of their crime ridden homeland...

Um, something doesn't make sense here...

If he was taking ammo to Mexico and caught coming back into the US with it wouldn't he be detained in the US? What it sounds like happened is that he entered Mexico, tried to do a U-Turn, got pulled over and detained by Mexican authorities on trumped up charges until the company pays the Juarez police (one of the most corrupt and violent districts in all of Mexico) for the truck and driver's release. If he was truly scanned with an X-Ray scanner (US Boarder Patrol equipment) wouldn't he be detained in the US? Something doesn't jive here...if the dude had hidden compartments in pallets I doubt some Mexican Agent would have found it (or cared for that matter)...if an American BP agent found it he would be detained in the United States, not in Mexico.

Welcome to the third world,,,,,,,,,liars and thieves. You do not pass thru US customs to go to the third world, they will not let you turn around or go back where you from. If the driver was smart he would have stopped on the side of the road while still in the US of A and refused to drive any farther, period. Wait for a tow truck from Estatos Unidos to take you home.

If the driver did make a wrong turn. It's going to be a big hole to climb out of.

What if you are caught in a blizzard carrying an AR and wonder into Canada? Good luck...

My aunt's first cross-country solo flight was in Northern Washington, and she accidentally landed at a small Canadian airport by mistake. She was told to wait on the taxiway, in the aircraft, until a crew from Canadian Border Patrol arrived with rifles. (This was the late '70s, and they were worried about US drug runners crossing the border illicitly!)

FYI, All of the ammo pictures from the truck is on links...they look to be 7.62x51 NATO in ammo cans. Anyone reporting that the ammo can be used in a standard AK is a moron.

Photos: Ammunition seizure in Juarez, U.S. trucker arrested – - El Paso Times Media Center here

How do you take a wrong turn and NOT go through Customs?

It sounds like he did...he went through customs in Mexico.

From what I've been hearing, this is a common mistake. El Paso to Jarez is a "speghetti bowl" for free way on/off ramps.

4746536673_258468fed2.jpg

One wrong turn and you are going to Mexico...period.

Howard Glaser, owner of United Nations Ammunition in Phoenix said the cargo was 18,000 units of 5.56 caliber bullets like those used for AR-15 assault rifles and 250,000 .308 caliber bullets. Glaser said he bought these surplus rounds from Wideners, an ammunition distribution company in Tennessee and they were intended to be sold mostly online at his online store. There was no immediate comment from Wideners regarding this cargo.

Anybody have any dealings with UNA?
United Nations Ammo Company (UNAC)

That reminds me of a young LT in the US Army that also made a wrong turn, or should I say he did not make a turn when he should have? This was about 1972-73 time period.

Anyway, this poor young LT was leading a convoy of trucks carrying (nuclear capable) Pershing Missles and their support equipment to the Sperrgebiet (training area) at Grafenwöhr near the East German Border. By treaty, the missles were not supposed within 5km of the east German Border...Well he ended up in downtown Hof (an old city with very narrow streets), trying to get the carriers (very large trucks with very long trailers that were also the lauchers, with missles in the launchers) turned around so they would not cross into east Germany....they sent the poor boy home after that one.

I did a no-no on that trip..I broke convoy and took all the support vehicles to Grafenwöhr with me, then reported to command where they could find their lost missles...I really felt sorry for the poor kid. He had just received his commission and that was his first (and last) convoy command.

That reminds me of a young LT in the US Army that also made a wrong turn, or should I say he did not make a turn when he should have? This was about 1972-73 time period.

Anyway, this poor young LT was leading a convoy of trucks carrying (nuclear capable) Pershing Missles and their support equipment to the Sperrgebiet (training area) at Grafenwöhr near the East German Border. By treaty, the missles were not supposed within 5km of the east German Border...Well he ended up in downtown Hof (an old city with very narrow streets), trying to get the carriers (very large trucks with very long trailers that were also the lauchers, with missles in the launchers) turned around so they would not cross into east Germany....they sent the poor boy home after that one.

I did a no-no on that trip..I broke convoy and took all the support vehicles to Grafenwöhr with me, then reported to command where they could find their lost missles...I really felt sorry for the poor kid. He had just received his commission and that was his first (and last) convoy command.

That is an amazing story, thanks for sharing

Now you know

FYI, That's a Saiga, not an AK.

Lastly, looks like the driver did get turned around and was detained in the United States...

Mexican border police spokesman Angel Torres said Bogan claimed he did not have any goods to declare when he attempted to cross back into the United States, the Associated Press reported.

Jabin Bogan, 27, was arrested Tuesday when he tried to re-enter the United States near El Paso, Texas, with 268,000 rounds of ammunition in his truck.

But this gets me...

Dennis Mekenye, Bogan's boss at trucking company Demco Express, said Bogan, who sits in a Mexican prison awaiting potential charges, made an "honest mistake.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dallas-truck-driver-carrying-ammunition-arrested-mexico/story?id=16180961

So the dude tried to come back into the united states and did, in fact, get turned around somehow....but then when our BP agents asked him if he had anything to declare and he said "no" they searched the vehicle, detained the driver and seized the goods. What kills me is that they turned him over to the Mexican authorities for taking the ammunition to Mexico...even though he was caught trying to come back into the United States.

What a mess...why couldn't the agents just scratched this one off as an "oops" and sent the driver on his way?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top