JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife's attitude toward firearms has always been indifferent, at best. As long things were well locked up it wasn't a major issue. When our son expressed some interest in hunting, I suggested that he and I take hunter education together. She didn't like the idea of him being around guns, but understood my point that he's better off if we take steps to remove the mystery.

Then, a few months ago, I took a calculated risk. A risk that may well turn out to have very negative ramifications on the wallet.

I invited her to go shooting with me and the son when we on Christmas break in Bend. She unfortunately liked it. A lot. I mean, she really, really liked it. She's natural at it, too. Putting everything on paper from 50 yards with iron sights with my boy's Marlin 25.

A month or so ago she expressed an interest in getting her own gun. I reluctantly told her it's Sunday. Gun stores usually keep barber shop hours, closed on Sundays and Mondays. Undeterred, she goes online and suggests we head out for the Rickreall gun show. Off we go.

Well, of course she set her sights on a nice, new 10-22.

I tell her I have a 10-22.

She says it doesn't fit her.

I tell her it's the eye relief on the scope. I can adjust the scope or cut down the stock, even. Indeed, I picked up a spare stock for just that so my boy could shoot it comfortably.

She says she doesn't want a scope anyway.

I say I can remove it. Or we could go to Bi-Mart and get one at pretty much loss-leader prices.

She says the ones at Bi-Mart don't have the pretty stock. She already checked. Turns out pretty laminate stocks are a variable in the efficacy of a gun purchase equation that I usually don't calculate for.

Needless to say, a Ruger 10-22 with laminate stock followed her home that day.

During the week that followed, I compounded mistake number 1 with mistake number 2. I mention via email that it's membership weekend at TCGC. Maybe we should think about joining some time.

Her reply was, "Yes!!!"

Not picking up on her intent right away, I naturally urged economic caution and asked if she would rather join in April or May or maybe June. I had an opportunity to reflect on the folly of that statement as we were driving up to the gate at TCGC.

At any rate, I'm simply telling this story as a warning to you all. Inviting your partner out to shoot may have unintended consequences. Be sure you've banked enough cash to see you through the worst-case scenario.ef

That's an extremely similar story to mine, except my wife knew Wholesale Sports was open and had 10/22's with the "pretty stocks" there and we did the Albany Rifle & Pistol Club. Plus she bought a Sig Mosquito so she could learn to shoot a pistol with super-cheap ammo and no recoil...

The biggest problem with my wife loving shooting is now she has a list of guns that she wants and I have a list that I want. The problem is the lists don't really have alot in common. Money is tight, so we have to save for a few months before we can make a purchase, so it means I am going to have to save twice as long to get the guns I want. And even worse yet, it's her turn for a new gun!

However all of this pales in comparison to the suck it would be to NOT have her interested or even anti-gun. I can now involve my wife with something I truly love to do. It means I get to spend more time with her and our friends, and buy more guns to shoot, and while those may not be on my list, I will still enjoy throwing lead down range with them. For me, I consider it and win-win.

A tough situation for sure (LOL). But on a serious note - congratulations in that you have someone to share it with. My wife is not quite that into it like yours but at least she'll go shooting with me and has her own and is getting her concealed carry license.

Wife and I started doing Mountainman Rendevous together in 1982 right after I bought and built my first Plains style rifle. Within a year she wanted her own rifle so I worked a bunch of trades and saved up some sales money from a couple Rendevous (by this time I was making my living as a Custom Knifemaker selling Knives and all manner of hand made items at the Rendevous and gun shows. I bought her a Nice CVA .50 cal Plains style rifle and customised it for her.

She then went on to want her own Hunting rifle so I managed to pickup a real nice Marlin 336c in 30-30 for her. Next was her own Carry Gun she picked out an ASTRA A-90 (for those who don't know) 9mm 17+1 (with original mag 18+1 with modified .40cal mags) DA/SA She packs it and a Spare Mag. She's now really into my Ruger 22-45rp.

it has been a blessing to have this as well as a couple other hobbies to save with the girl I married. Sure I have other Hobbies she wasn't much into as does she ( I just can't get into Cross stitch). Made it easy to bring the kids up in the Culture of firearms ownership and use. She bugs me to go hunting more and bring home more game to eat.

Nope I have never found a reason to gripe about my Wifes interest in firearms or shooting.

All of us that have a wife or girl fiend that is into the shooting/hunting sport are truly blessed. Mine started out as a young lady whom I met in high school 35 years ago that wasn't into in the least, who later became a renowned (in our area) "Elk killer". Last year along with my daughter in-law and oldest daughter, they took the only three Elk that our family harvested.
I still cant seem to live that one down! Enjoy. Just remember dolooper, you started it:drink:

Really? You have a problem because your wife or girlfriend likes and wants guns? Really? Consider the alternative, she could hate guns, make you sell them, and keep your children away from them. Men who have the weapons they want and desire are complaining because your other half wants some too, wow!
Buy them all that they want, think about it, it means you can shoot them too.
Encourage all the women you can to own as many guns as possible, they speak to each other and they raise your children.

Jim

It could definitely be worse - my wife has zero interest in shooting the 22s and the 9mm. If she wants to go along for some trigger time I better bring an extra few boxes of 45, maybe an extra box of 357, a few boxes of 308 and some slugs/00 buck for the shotgun. So much for a cheap day at the range :)

Really? You have a problem because your wife or girlfriend likes and wants guns? Really? Consider the alternative, she could hate guns, make you sell them, and keep your children away from them. Men who have the weapons they want and desire are complaining because your other half wants some too, wow!
Buy them all that they want, think about it, it means you can shoot them too.
Encourage all the women you can to own as many guns as possible, they speak to each other and they raise your children.

Jim

I'm actually very happy about it. I'm guessing I didn't emphasize enough the ironic nature of my post.

There's another benefit as well. She never really understood my desire to stay fairly well-supplied in ammunition. The notion of a thousand rounds to her had no context and seemed like an awful lot. Now she understands she can go through half that in an afternoon at the range. As a result, she brings home more ammunition than she shoots. I think that'll continue as she moves on up to larger calibers. It's an equation I like and I want to keep it that way until the exact moment the floorboards start creaking. :)

Me wife will shoot, but tonight when Larry the Cable guy was on he started talking about moose hunting and butchering she went to watch another TV. She better get used to it. She is going to butcher my next moose.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top