JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love the 22 mag. and it can feed you well for light carry weight.. But the start of this thread issues a sense of urgency / panic. So if it is for more than getting food, ie self defense I would want some more fire power and of course concealability as to not cause altercations with other persons that might be pretty skittish. You need More... try any of the AR type pistols, Bushmaster or Olympic... But I prefer the Keltec PLR-16 in 223 it can use all the 30 rd. mags others dropped running in panic and uses a more reliable cycling system, oh yes, and they are very acurate.
And for those who have actually been out in the woods and met a Cougar or Black bear faces to face... You'll want some fire power! Uh, and don't forget the lovely Fed govt Re-introduced / introduced 150 lb wolves wiping out the undulating mountain species (Deer, Elk, etc..) you thought would be there for you to eat... see www.saveelk.com

if the scenario were grab a gun as you take off into hiding/retreat from the insanity, I think I'd take either my BHP in 9mm, the long-barreled super accurate GP Comp. Or perhaps the Ruger Security Six in ..357. If I could further burden myself with a handy long gun, I'd also grab the Browning Model 92, also in /357, giving me a short, concealable weapon with significant hit power, and a lightweight handy saddle gun with reasonable range and hit power, both using the same round.

Don't have it yet, but there is a HK USP 45 coming, a long barrelled version, which should be a bit on the large size for easy concealed carry, small enough to be fairly portable, accurate at medium ranges, and have enough hit power to do a lot of things. Ammo is fairly easy to come by, being so common. Heavy, thus a bit more work to transport, but not as heavy as shotgun shells or long-rifle game or sniping loads. Of course, that pistol wouldn't serve as a sniper gun, which means I'd either have to lay low, sneak up closer, get lucky, or go the other way. In all, it might be useful in a wide variety of scenarios.

Yeah, you're right there. I have an OA-98 and it's a lot of fire power, but loud as ****. My buddy has the PLR and for the money, I'd rather have one of them. I'm still undecided as to which one to grab. My "Judge" is a great defense gun, but if you shoot shot through it, it's only good for very short range because of the rifling.

I'd LOVE to have a combo gun. I used to own a Crossfire, but we needed a roof more than that gun, (lol) besides, it was heavy! Sure was an attention getter at the range though. I want one that is more than just a single shot though. The crossfire would hold 5 - 12 gauge and would accept AR-15 mags of any size. If someone would come up with a combo rifle that would hold multiple rounds of both calibers, I'd be in heaven. I don't care WHAT caliber the rifle round would be, I'd even be happy with 9mm even though it's not one of my favorites. I think .223 and 12 gauge would be my favorite combo. You could find ammo at ANY mom and pop store, I think.

I'd grab my 6" S&W 629. Half the weight of a small rifle, easy to conceal, powerful enough to take care of any trouble one might encounter, and accurate enough to take a deer (or any other deer sized critter!) out beyond 100 yards. The only drawback I can think of is the weight of the ammo, I'd probably just take 4-6 boxes along with it.

Anyone seen the Shotgun under for AR types Now that would be da kine. 12Ga under 5.56. Just like a 203. it would be heavy and combersome BUT...We were talking about it in the Desert BUT I cannot remember if we made it up or if smne was actually testing it:huh: DAMN TBI:huh:

Here it is....

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m26.htm

Lightweight Shotgun System [LSS]
The Lightweight Shotgun System [LSS] fires 2.75 and 3-inch lethal, non-lethal and door breaching rounds, weighs slightly less than three pounds, and has a detachable five-round magazine. It attaches to the M4 as an accessory and includes a standoff device for firing door-breaching rounds. It is a great weapon system, being able to attach to the M-4 and as a stand-alone. It is light. This is the lightest weapon carried in the Army besides a pistol. It weighs just about nothing.

The system is a five-round, box-magazine fed, manually operated shotgun. It uses a straight push-pull type bolt action that can be switched for either left or right-handed users. The attachment variation is 16.5 inches in length and uses the host weapon’s sights. It is capable of firing lethal, non-lethal and breaching rounds.

The lightweight shotgun system has three configurations. The shotgun stand-alone version is converted from the attachable version. It has a pistol grip and a buttstock. The stand-alone weighs 4 pounds, 3 ounces and is 24 inches long collapsed. This version also has a reversible charging handle and is capable of firing lethal, non-lethal and breaching rounds.

Previously, soldiers performing non-lethal and door-breaching missions carried two separate weapons - an individual combat weapon and a separate shotgun. This lightweight, multi-use shotgun provides Soldiers with the capability to breach doors quickly and efficiently without requiring them to carry an additional weapon. The LSS, which is fastened beneath the barrel of an M4 carbine, eliminates the need for a second weapon.

Soldiers can use the shotgun as an all-around tool in an urban environment. They can use the non-lethal and breaching capabilities, and the big advantage is that they don’t have to sling their primary weapon to do it. You have combatants and noncombatants together in a crowd and the non-lethal capability is a good way to neutralize them, whether or not they are armed. Many units in the field expressed the need for a tool like this. It will get a lot of use. It’s more accessible and easier than having to switch weapons.

That's tough. If it were down to overall effectiveness in any situation, it would probably be my scoped ruger 10/22. It's very accurate out to 100 yards. i have 10 rd and 30 rd clips for it and I have a ton of ammo for it.

If familiarity is the main factor, then my henry .22. I love shooting that thing. Tough call.

can't say for sure, however, it would probably be the one closest to me with the most available, convenient to carry ammo......such as several bandoliers.

Good point. In that case it would be my mossberg 500. It has 14 on the gun(5 in the pipe, 5 on the stock and 4 on the sling) and I have a 50 rd bandolier for it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top