JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rifle: M1A
Pistol: Glock 21 .45

The M1A is 7.62/.308 and is versatile enough for anything you need a rifle to do. The ammo is commonly available and it's a really tough rifle with few parts to go south.

The Glock is, well, a Glock. I have spare parts but have never needed them on any Glock I've owned. The .45 is a common caliber in the US. The 9mm versions would be a close second due to ammo availability.

I see the wisdom having a .22lr as well. I love my .22. I'm just assuming that if the situation is that bad that I only have time to grab one gun I'm going to want some firepower. Either overt firepower with a larger rifle, or concealed firepower with the .45.

I choose my ruger single six 22. It's deadly accurate. simple to use, built like a tank, & i can carry lots of ammo. I also like the idea of the rifle/shotgun combo gun. have they ever made a 223/12gauge combo? I think that would be my choice in a long gun.

I have a small collection, so between the Mosin-Nagant, the Hi-Standard .22, and the AR, I'd take the AR.

If I could pick anything, it would probably be a 6" .357 Magnum revolver. Or one of <broken link removed> - a dozen or so years ago, my next-door neighbor (a survivalist-type who mostly lived in his van) traded his AK in for one.

Benelli Nova Tactical with the peep.... plus slugs, buck, 6 shot, and i'd tape the 22 to it.... 12 gauge rounds are no good for packing in bulk.... 500-700 .22 rounds to 25 - 12ga. shells...

12 gauge is soo user friendly.

I'm going to assume this is some kind of SHTF/disaster/whatever where you can't stay in your home. You may need to be mobile & may find yourself traveling with other people who also had to relocate.

Probably my G19 simply because I can carry a lot of ammo for it, it's been reliable, I can conceal it, and my wife knows how to shoot it. If I only have time to grab one gun, I'm going to assume that I need to be on the move & concealability will be an issue.

It's kinda hard to melt into the masses of refugees with a long-gun. Carrying a long-gun marks you as an armed person - this may attract unwanted attention from authorities or others. I know that if someone (I didn't know) came wandering through my neighborhood carrying a long-gun, my reaction to them would be negative.

Just my scenario & choice - not a criticism of others.

AK pistol. Compact. 30cal. 2000fps. Mag/drum fed. No cleaning required. Common ammo. Point target to 150yds. Area target to 800yds. Who could ask for anything more? Not even toyota.

AK pistol. Compact. 30cal. 2000fps. Mag/drum fed. No cleaning required. Common ammo. Point target to 150yds. Area target to 800yds. Who could ask for anything more? Not even toyota.

I never thought of that one before, but you make a lot of sense. I've seen tham at J&G Sales and am going to give more thought to getting one. A great post, man!

AK pistol. Compact. 30cal. 2000fps. Mag/drum fed. No cleaning required. Common ammo.

You know, I'd never thought of that before either. I've always thought AK and AR pistols seemed a little useless but this might be the perfect application. You can legally carry it loaded in a vehicle assuming you have a CPL. It would be a darned powerful truck gun, that's for sure! It's concealable enough and is legal to be carried concealed. If the S really HTF hard and you were hunting for survival you could carve a shoulder stock for it to improve accuracy. There would be no laws at that point or if there were survival is more important than legality. And if things really got ugly in a zombie sort of way you could grab your shovel and dig up those full auto parts that came with the parts kit you bought 20 years ago. :cool:

Oh man, now I have to get an AK pistol, see what you've done?! ;) I think I need one in 5.45, surplus ammo is $0.14 a round @ Aim Surplus so I can "Buy it cheap and stack it deep!"

:D

I have a couple of ak pistols 1 in 5.45x39 bulgarian krink and the other a 7.62x39 the 5.45 gun is a blast to shoot and much more controlable. the trick with the 7.62 is to make a small loop sling just big enough to get your hand in.connect it to the front sling mount. this will give you a lot more control over it.:D
if i had to choose 1 gun it would be the one i could carry the most rounds of.
maybe a 22 or a 5.7 i know it has a bad rap but i can get double the rounds of 5.7 than 223 or 7.62 i can get 2k rounds in one standard size ammo can.
plus the 5.7 is light either the ps90 or the 5.7 handgun. mostly plastic and or alluminum so not a lot of parts to rust.
just my 2 cents worth.:s0155:

Only time for one gun, my first thought is 10/22 and several thousand rounds. I can shoot it in a wooded draw and no one would hear. Chest shot at 100 yards with little noise to track back. As one pointed out you could hunt for years on that and still be able to "carry" it. If you choose a pistol, what will be the outcome if you are caught in the open 200 yards from the "bad guy" with a rifle? If you shoot a grouse with a 308, what is left to eat? If you are on foot how much 308 would you be able to carry. If you are able to drive then the one gun question is moot.

I have some guns I would hate to leave but to be practical I would probably grab one of my 22 mag rifles. Good enouh for meat hunting if laws are not a concern. 50 years ago I was seeing deer killed at nite with 22LR. I'm sure I could live off what a 22 mag will bring down and ammo carrying is not much harder than 22LR. You should see a butcher I have used drop a big beef bull with a 22 mag in the forehead at 30 yd. We couldn't pen him up.

After reading ALL the threads, I think I would grab my Taurus "Judge". I could hunt (close) with the .410 rounds and the .45LC rounds are great for longer shooting. In all honesty, I have never decided which weapon I'd grab... too many to choose from. If you're runnin' from something, you have to travel light, therefore, a pistol. If you've got a few minutes, more than likely, I'd have my XD.45 already on, OR the Judge, then I'd be grabbin' my Saiga .308 I'm thinking. But then again, there's my 10/22 and 2,000 rounds just sitting there, heck I DON'T KNOW... lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top