JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Saiga .308. It's got enough power to kill anything that breaths air. It's compact as it's a 16" carbine with a folding stock. It's rugged, reliable, and as close to maintenance-free as battle rifles get. It has a chrome-lined barrel and no exposed bare metal or blued parts to rust. It's finished with black paint over Parkerizing. If I grab this gun I don't need to bring a hammer for my tent stakes. ;) It's a Russian-built AKM after all.

All that said, hopefully I'd already have my XD45C on. It goes on with my pants so unless I'm fleeing in my underwear or bathrobe I already have my .45 on.

If I can only have one or the other I'll take the XD. I'm not bugging anywhere but may need to get from Seattle to Belfair or visa versa and there are weapons at both locations when I get there. I think the XD would be more useful in the truck. With my spinal damage I'm not walking 70 miles, ever. :(

Well, if things are bad enough to where I only had time enough to grab just one rifle, and whatever ammo I could stuff in my pockets, I suppose a .22 like my 10/22. I could reasonably stuff several thousand rounds in my coat and pants pockets and I'd be able to run and hide (no armchair Rambo here) without being encumbered to the point of immobility. Several thousand rounds of ammo will allow a person to subsist hunt daily for several years taking quail, pigeon, duck, squirrel, etc without destroying most of the meat that a larger round would.

I carry a 5-shot .22 magnum revolver but since its only effective use is self defense within maybe 10 yards, its much too limited for me to consider as an only gun.

Keith

Only 1 gun? i'd probably grab my Plasma rifle... In the 40watt range.

640998084_a299fa9cee_o.jpg

That or possibly this.

Different circumstances would dictate different choices. In this thread I suppose survival is key. That being said I think a bolt action .223 would be a good choice.............The ammo is small enough to carry in quantity, it's very accurate and it's powerful enough to hunt a lot of different game in a pinch.

As was said before, the circumstances would dictate for me what would be the best to grab. Am I bugging out into the woods behind my house to escape and evade a threat outside coming down my driveway? Or am I grabbing things to toss into the car quick to hit the road from a threat that hasnt hit my driveway yet?

Either way I'd likely grab my Beretta 96, an extra mag, put a couple hundred rounds in my Camelback with whats already in there and fly out the door. I realize it's not the best thing to procure animals for food, but my priority would be defending my family first, figuring out food later. I can hunt with my Beretta if I have to, but I can also conceal it if need be, defend my family, etc. without overloading myself.

Am I heading into town to hunt zombies? An AR-15.

Am I bugging out into the woods for weeks or months or years to live? My Remington Nylon 66 .22 rifle.

After thinking it over, I guess I'd grab my Model 98 German Mauser in 8MM. It has been sporterized somewhat but still has the original military barrel. I would use European made military ammo (has close to 30-06 performance) plus a few Remington hunting rounds (have 30-30 performance). This old warhorse is tough and "been there, done that"!

The deal is you have to choose just one gun for what ever scenario you think of.
there really is no wrong gun to choose, but for you to pick the one most well rounded gun you would be the most comfortable with.
Since you only have one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads