JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My goodness. Come on down to SW OR USA and come right into the urban Illinois Valley and you will have wild turkeys coming out of your ears. The only problem is you can not shoot them inside the City Limits or on many areas of public land.

The flocks are becoming very bold. They come into the gardens at dawn and dusk and chomp and eat their way through the early planted stuff. Only the big dogs seem capable of chasing them off. They come right back. Kinda tame. Scary even.

Are they any good to eat? :)
With the right recipe anything is tasty

literally, without a blind, you cannot move when youre turkey hunting. they have very good vision and will freak if they see movement. atleast, thats been my experience.

ive seen more turkey while driving than out hunting them LOL
My driving job and my route takes me north of Spokane to coleville WA and then over to Newport WA then down to Rathdrum ID and I have seen lots of turkeys just standing on the side of the road sometimes groups of 5 or 6 lol

Can you hunt in a refuge?

As a matter of fact, you can hunt on wildlife refuges:
National Wildlife Refuge System

White River Wildlife Area is not called a refuge, but it's the same idea:
ODFW Visitor's Guide - White River Wildlife Area

The map shows where the state land is located. There's a gate into the area right at the east end of Pine Grove on Hwy 216 at Endersby Road. There are more gates elsewhere. The Wildlife Area extends all the way to Tigh Valley.

As a matter of fact, you can hunt on wildlife refuges:
National Wildlife Refuge System

White River Wildlife Area is not called a refuge, but it's the same idea:
ODFW Visitor's Guide - White River Wildlife Area

The map shows where the state land is located. There's a gate into the area right at the east end of Pine Grove on Hwy 216 at Endersby Road. There are more gates elsewhere. The Wildlife Area extends all the way to Tigh Valley.

if only it wasnt a 3 hour drive from me. Im stuck with Philomath or Lebanon areas this year.

if only it wasnt a 3 hour drive from me. Im stuck with Philomath or Lebanon areas this year.
OK, for next year or this Fall here's the deal. There is a small mobile home park in Pine Grove that will rent space by the week. I've thought about putting my RV there for the season, since it's also close to where I deer hunt. There are motels and camping in Maupin, which is about 8 miles away. The Wasco County fairgrounds also has camping. I hunt a couple of large ranches in the area for deer. One of the ranches used to have a pad with hookups I could put my RV on, but they sold the 100 acres with buildings that it sat on, so since then I've generally used the Wasco fairgrounds camp sites for deer season. If you want to go in style you can always check out the deluxe rooms and food at the Imperial River Company in Maupin ($$$).

OK, for next year or this Fall here's the deal. There is a small mobile home park in Pine Grove that will rent space by the week. I've thought about putting my RV there for the season, since it's also close to where I deer hunt. There are motels and camping in Maupin, which is about 8 miles away. The Wasco County fairgrounds also has camping. I hunt a couple of large ranches in the area for deer. One of the ranches used to have a pad with hookups I could put my RV on, but they sold the 100 acres with buildings that it sat on, so since then I've generally used the Wasco fairgrounds camp sites for deer season. If you want to go in style you can always check out the deluxe rooms and food at the Imperial River Company in Maupin ($$$).
So I will go camping with you then. got it. lol

Whereabouts do you hunt in the Lebanon area, if you don't mind my asking? I live in rural Washington county and the only turkeys around here are at Safeway. My boy is rarin ta go big turkey hunting and is willing to go to the ends of the earth (or at least the state) to do it. I'd rather spend less time behind the wheel and more in the field.

Whereabouts do you hunt in the Lebanon area, if you don't mind my asking? I live in rural Washington county and the only turkeys around here are at Safeway. My boy is rarin ta go big turkey hunting and is willing to go to the ends of the earth (or at least the state) to do it. I'd rather spend less time behind the wheel and more in the field.
I havent hunted by lebanon yet. Been focusing outside Philomath because I have my Starker Permit. If you and your boy are free on monday I dont mind if you want to join me over there.

I havent hunted by lebanon yet. Been focusing outside Philomath because I have my Starker Permit. If you and your boy are free on monday I dont mind if you want to join me over there.

Wow, that is very kind of you. We are pretty much limited to weekend excursions however. The Starker Permit allows you to hunt logging co. land? If I can wrangle some time off in the week I may give it a go. How would you rate your experience? I really appreciate your input.

Wow, that is very kind of you. We are pretty much limited to weekend excursions however. The Starker Permit allows you to hunt logging co. land? If I can wrangle some time off in the week I may give it a go. How would you rate your experience? I really appreciate your input.

unfortunatly I am working ever saturday through the end of the month. but I am hunting every sunday and monday. So if you would like to join me and my bud just let me know. I sent you a PM with my phone number. As far as experience. I would rate mine as 0-1 I am novice as bubblegum. I have my camo and JUST ordered decoys. But I have an idea where turkeys are. Just gotta get them to me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top