JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
(AFT) is offering an online Handgun Safety course to fulfill the educational requirement of Oregon's concealed carry permit process. Does anyone know if this, or another online method, has been actually accepted in an Oregon county, especially Deschutes? Link below:

I don't know specifically.

but I don't see why it wouldn't. Since theres no shooting time required, I don't see that there would need to be an in person class.

Yes, My girlfriend and I used this free online course and lane county sherriff's office honored it. FREE!!! FREE!!! :s0155::s0155::s0155:
The guy at the counter said that he's heard that several other sherriff's depts. have honored this course.:D

MD Firearms Safety Training

+1 for md gun safety! I took that course as well and it worked for Marion County. I asked beforehand if it was accepted so I wouldn't be throwing away my $55 and the lady said she had a few people use that for their safety requirement. Best of all though- it's free!

I think Patton was refering to God, not just any god . . . . seriously.

Patton would have absolutely used the capital G.

Here is the famous "Patton Prayer" and Christmas greeting sent to the men of the Third Army December 8, 1944:

"Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish Thy justice among men and nations. Amen."

"To each officer and soldier in the Third United States Army, I wish a Merry Christmas. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We march in our might to complete victory. May God's blessings rest upon each of you on this Christmas Day."

G.S. Patton, Jr., Lieutenant General
Commanding, Third United States Army.

Tried calling Multnomah County and nobody picked up so I sent an email to their CHL Unit, we'll see what they say about the MD course; that would be great if they did, it would save me $80 (for my wife and I).

I have Oregon CHL but have not looked into any of the Utah requirements... But need to. Will this do anything towards the Utah license? :huh:

It is my understanding that the Utah license is harder to get than Oregon's. However, Oregon does not recognize or have reciprocity with any other state. Some are offering the schooling for both at the same time. I need to explore that option too. Utah license is also recognised in about thirty other states including Washington.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4818288_utah-carry-permit-valid-states.html

Last Edited:
Multnomah County is a no-go.

This will not satisfy a UT license requirement, they are pretty particular on the course you have to take, in person, by a licensed instructor. For as many states as recognize a UT CCW I don't blame them for being picky... I wish my UT CCW would be valid here in OR but oh well...

The Maryland PD online training was accepted by Washington County for an Oregon CHL (May of 2010). The clerk told me she went throught the training online to see what is is like, and agreed that it was pretty good.

She agreed with me that this FREE online training makes a lot of sense.

There are groups/individuals that are certified in Utah and with the NRA, for Oregon, that offer classes from time to time in various areas of the state. Does anyone know if one of these "dual" classes is being offered in the near future, especially in the Central Oregon area?

Got this today from Deschutes Co.

David,

I have reviewed your online course and the contents are sufficient to fill the requirements set forth in ORS 166.291. After completion of this course, we would need a certificate of completion and something to verify your instructor is a NRA certified Instructor (NRA Inst. #, ect.). If the instructor's name and NRA Inst. # is on the certificate, we could verify as long as the NRA Program Coordinator (Steve Hoback 1-703-267-1496) has you in their database.

Please contact me if you have additional questions,
Sgt. Jernigan

Deschutes County Sheriff's Office

Training Division

Sgt. Jernigan

[email protected]

(541) 617- 3383

There are groups/individuals that are certified in Utah and with the NRA, for Oregon, that offer classes from time to time in various areas of the state. Does anyone know if one of these "dual" classes is being offered in the near future, especially in the Central Oregon area?

For the cc permits? Michael with MK Tactical is who I went through for my Oregon/Utah permits. Got my Utah permit via mail and went down with the paperwork to get my oregon. The class was a great experience. He even came out to my house to teach it with a certain number sized group. I believe he may still do that. Otherwise, they offer the classes there in Hillsboro?? mktactical.com would have that info for you.

Yes, My girlfriend and I used this free online course and lane county sherriff's office honored it. FREE!!! FREE!!! :s0155::s0155::s0155:
The guy at the counter said that he's heard that several other sherriff's depts. have honored this course.:D

MD Firearms Safety Training
Hey, that was fun! Awhile back I took the AFT one too for fun & figuring it couldn't hurt, even though I've already taken 'real life' classes. They both were really well put together. The AFT definitely goes into greater depth & detail, but the Maryland one is really a fantastic resource too-- and free! THAT is some good use of tax dollars for real. +1 to Maryland for that. Jeez I'm gonna have my wife and nephew take it too.

Dang, I'm an audio engineer and video editor, we of the NFC board could make Oregon/Washington/Idaho/etc specific ones ourselves as volunteers & make them freely available?? We could do that....

*EDIT* I wanted to be clear that I whole-heartedly agree that a day-long, 'real world' class is the best way to go for most people-- myself definitely included! Learning about legalities, threat-avoidance/diffusion techniques, professionally supervised live fire etc is essential for new shooters. Though for a general overview of fundamental safety issues (and for people who already have waaay more experience than I did when starting out), I think the online ones are useful. Both the AFT and MD ones are like really interesting, interactive educational games. And in addition to my own mandatory Uncle-lecture on safety fundamentals, I'm definitely gonna make my nephew go through the Maryland one before I take him shooting for the first time. Mmkay I'll shaddap now!

Last Edited:
The on line training may be an easy way to go but I would recommend you at least check out Oregon Firearms Academy LLC, go to courses and click on Basic Handgun Safety and Utah Concealed Permit Courses and view the course contents and schedules. In addition this topic has been discussed on the Oregon Concealed carry forum. Click on OFA links, click on the Oregon concealed carry forum and go to Training, Training on Line.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads