JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive owned a bunch of hunting rifles. Deer, especially mule deer and whitetails (most recently), are my favorite game. Naturally, deer rifles are my thing. Other types of guns are tools to me, but deer rifles are an obsession. Because of the desire to find the perfect rifle, Ive been a revolving door of rifles. There is one I wish I had back.

It was a Remington 700 LSS in 270 Winchester that I found on clearance for $500 at Sportsmans. It had a fine finish vs the gritty SPS finish. It wore a clunky laminated stock that I never once used. I got the rifle home and ordered a Bell & Carlson Alaskan Ti stock, a set of Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and low rings, and a Leupold VX III 3.5-10x40 scope. Bolted everything together (didn't bed it) and added a Trader Keith Safari Sling. All up, just under 8 pounds. Light enough to carry, stable enough to shoot.

This rifle was a witnessed sub-MOA rifle all day. I didnt bother reloading for it because it shot Federal Blue Box 130gr into neat cloverleafs. It shot Federal 150gr Accubonds even tighter. I shot a 1 inch group at tri-county at 300 yards....5 shots.

I foolishly sold it to a friend so I could buy a Kimber Montana. The Kimber shot patterns and by the time I could call my friend to sell me the rifle back, it had been parted out and sent to a custom rifle maker. Supposedly, as the gunsmith took it apart, he said it was amazing how square the rifle was. I don't doubt it.

I wish I had it back. I wouldn't take that for granted like I did back then. You don't squander a rifle like that.

Sears and Roebuck model 50 rifle.
It was a FN Mauser action in .30-06 ,came with a chrome lined bore.
Factory drilled and tapped for a receiver sight ... I put a Lyman 48 on it
Damn thing shot like a House afire.... In a fit of insanity I traded it off.

If you ever see one of these for sale ... they are usually under priced for what they are and how they shoot.. buy it before I do...:D
Andy

I had a 1938 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Tula with a beautiful reddish shellac finish, all the marks on the receiver were visible/legible. It was in fantastic condition, the action was very smooth, no machine tool marks, and I only paid $89. Then I stupidly sold it for $100, for no good reason. I will never buy another Mosin because in my opinion they're not worth the current $300 going rate. But darn I miss that rifle.. what an idiot.

On a high-speed cross-country run in 1985, I gassed up at midnight somewhere in AZ or NM. When I paid inside, I saw a used Marlin 12ga pump for $60 (probably could've snagged it for $50). I was flush with per diem cash, but it had some "patina" and I had a shiny newish Winchester in my trunk, so I passed.

Funny how that still bugs me 32 years later.

Ive owned a bunch of hunting rifles. Deer, especially mule deer and whitetails (most recently), are my favorite game. Naturally, deer rifles are my thing. Other types of guns are tools to me, but deer rifles are an obsession. Because of the desire to find the perfect rifle, Ive been a revolving door of rifles. There is one I wish I had back.

It was a Remington 700 LSS in 270 Winchester that I found on clearance for $500 at Sportsmans. It had a fine finish vs the gritty SPS finish. It wore a clunky laminated stock that I never once used. I got the rifle home and ordered a Bell & Carlson Alaskan Ti stock, a set of Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and low rings, and a Leupold VX III 3.5-10x40 scope. Bolted everything together (didn't bed it) and added a Trader Keith Safari Sling. All up, just under 8 pounds. Light enough to carry, stable enough to shoot.

This rifle was a witnessed sub-MOA rifle all day. I didnt bother reloading for it because it shot Federal Blue Box 130gr into neat cloverleafs. It shot Federal 150gr Accubonds even tighter. I shot a 1 inch group at tri-county at 300 yards....5 shots.

I foolishly sold it to a friend so I could buy a Kimber Montana. The Kimber shot patterns and by the time I could call my friend to sell me the rifle back, it had been parted out and sent to a custom rifle maker. Supposedly, as the gunsmith took it apart, he said it was amazing how square the rifle was. I don't doubt it.

I wish I had it back. I wouldn't take that for granted like I did back then. You don't squander a rifle like that.
I have that same rifle. Right down to the Remmy factory laminated stock and the .270 chambering.
As recently as 5 years ago I had rebuilt. I had it gone through, bedding the action/floating the barrel, and the lugs lapped and the trigger adjusted down to about 3 pounds, and bought a new 24" Remington factory take-off barrel for it (but kept the 22"). I tastefully customized the checkering to make it a little more unique and it looks like a brand new gun.

I offered it to someone who wanted a M700 LSS last month for $700, with scope, and he thought that was too high.
For a consistent sub MOA ultimate mulie rifle.
Go figure.

I bought a Marlin .17HMR about 5 years ago on my birthday. Bone stock with a Bushnell Banner scope it would shoot in one ragged hole at 100. I sold it for some stupid reason and the guy that sold it took it to a range that had 300 yards and texted me a photo of 5 rounds inside 2". That thing could outshoot me any day of the week. And it was nothing special.

I had a Marlin 336 30-30 yhat i hunted for 15 years putting 330 rounds through. I put on the see through iron right rings (cheap) with a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope so was not afraid I'd get it wet or scuff it up. I was going to hand it down to the boy but Pappa wanted a new Leopold for his 06.....:eek::eek::eek::D

Mines a Remington m788 in .22-250. I got it after returning from the Army. It was a one hole rifle at 100yds. My friend that I hunted with had a really nice professionally built custom Mauser, also in .22-250. Beautiful rifle, but it couldn't outshoot the little Remington! I, sadly, traded it for a Hi-Standred Supermatic .22 pistol, so a good trade but still. :(
You can still hear Gregorian mourning chants, from the relatives of all the jackrabbits it killed on the Navy bombing range at Boardman OR!

Last Edited:
It was a Remington 700 LSS in 270 Winchester

I really don't belong posting in this thread, because I got much luckier than No Regerts did. And my apologies if you've read my story before. (I'll try to condense it)

Ruger 77MKII stainless in the Zytel "boat paddle" stock. Found it at BiMart and even got it on sale for $369! It was old stock and didn't have rings, but other than that, was perfect! The stock and the bright finish didn't suit me. Blasted the finish and put on a Hogue stock making it much more what I wanted. The trigger was good, but a Timney was much better.
Then came our anniversary and a much lusted after Kimber Montana. It was the 8400 not the 84L I really wanted, but let's not pick nits, right? The Ruger went down the road.
Long story short, like the OP, I was not happy with the Kimber.
Then one day the Ruger was back up for sale!

There are a few handguns I could whine about letting get away, but the only rifle I truly regretted selling I was able to get back. Whew!

This one will be listed in my will, cuz I'm not letting go of it again.
RUGER.jpg

I gave my nephew a model 51 30-06 When he turned 16 to hunt with his dad. In a methadone haze he sold it about a year later for drigs. That young man now a two time felon will never receive another firearm from me and that is putting it mildly. Please don't ask me how I really about him, my thoughts on this are not fit to be published.

Last Edited:
I have that same rifle. Right down to the Remmy factory laminated stock and the .270 chambering.
As recently as 5 years ago I had rebuilt. I had it gone through, bedding the action/floating the barrel, and the lugs lapped and the trigger adjusted down to about 3 pounds, and bought a new 24" Remington factory take-off barrel for it (but kept the 22"). I tastefully customized the checkering to make it a little more unique and it looks like a brand new gun.

I offered it to someone who wanted a M700 LSS last month for $700, with scope, and he thought that was too high.
For a consistent sub MOA ultimate mulie rifle.
Go figure.

That would have been a steal.

I've had a couple of serious bad sale/trade desicions. First and foremost, a Baikal 94 22mag/410. Got it from a gun show for $200 when I was 16. Shot many a bird, squirrel, and rabbit with that rifle, let it go for some stupid trade. Don't even remeber what.

Then there was a beautiful Ruger m77 7mm Mag that I had bought from a coworker. Tang safety, factory ported muzzle, beautiful bluing and wood. Traded it for an SKS. If I buy old guns now, I keep the old guns.

Sears and Roebuck model 50 rifle.
It was a FN Mauser action in .30-06 ,came with a chrome lined bore.
Factory drilled and tapped for a receiver sight ... I put a Lyman 48 on it
Damn thing shot like a House afire.... In a fit of insanity I traded it off.

If you ever see one of these for sale ... they are usually under priced for what they are and how they shoot.. buy it before I do...:D
Andy

You had me curious - by any chance, is this the same rifle, or at least very similar?

I tried to post the pic, but it wouldn't let me, so here's the link:

ARMSLIST - For Sale/Trade: Jc Higgins model 51 NICE!

The one I let get away left because the guy I bought it from wanted it back, and since he's a nice guy and I wanted to help him out, I sold it back to him. It was an M1 Garand. I do still miss it, but as a result of selling it back, I got my M1A Loaded, so it was a win for me. Still miss that Garand though and looking forward to adding one back into my collection again. If Trump and the R's would pull their heads out of their backsides long enough to get those Garands (and 1911's) languishing overseas returned to the homeland, that would help tremendously.

Etrain,
It is very similar... The early Sears model 50's were made by FN on a commercial action...not quite as pretty as a Browning Safari .... but they shot just fine.
Te one in the ad is nice ... but has a replacement stock.
Andy

Etrain,
It is very similar... The early Sears model 50's were made by FN on a commercial action...not quite as pretty as a Browning Safari .... but they shot just fine.
Andy

According to the listing, that rifle was built by FN in Belgium and imported for Sears - perhaps he is confusing the two?

Well ... they were "built" by FN ( actions barreled by FN ) then were assembled here in the US by Sears and sold by Sears....All off the 50 and 51 series had solid walnut stocks.
The later 50 and 51 series of rifles had Husqvarna and Sako actions... with solid walnut or hardwood stocks.
Andy

Here's my model 51.
After reading an article by Chuck Hawks about these special rifles, I ran a want to buy ad on Armslist and received a call from the nephew who inherited one from his deceased uncle.
I did upgrade the trigger and topped it with the Leupold scope.
As new in box for only $225.00 cash.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwikmd3bx_LVAhVJLmMKHbfkAvQQFggmMAA&url=http://www.chuckhawks.com/j_c_higgins_50.htm&usg=AFQjCNHjLQXoerPlzHJ9DD_BzrBIAZv6bA

JC Higgins 001.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads