JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know.

I know from experience with sporadic E layer testing (meteor burst system testing) that there are cycles, but not sure how that affects the SL system. Generally, anything above 100-200 mHz penetrates the ionosphere, and we are talking gHz with the SL system.

I thought maybe it would be the moisture in the trees would be more during the night. If so, I would maybe get more obstructions overall in the winter.

The other question might be the simple and accurate one - is utilization higher during the day?...
Yes, but congestion causes speed drops. Should not cause "obstructed" events.

That said, without being familiar with the code, protocol and other workings of the system, I can only guess why I see this behavior.

It is interesting, but doesn't impact my usage. I rarely get TV buffering (mostly with HBO) due to these events, and that is a minor inconvenience.

I don't watch my info very close - as long as it's working without my noticing issues, I don't really bother. The fact I can work from home using RDP into about three different computers while also being on a video call most of a day is amazing compared to before.

I did just check now, and I see my setup is "gathering data" on obstructions. Looks like it rebooted at 4am - not sure if it was a firmware update or what.

I'm hoping to finally permanently mount mine this weekend. I'll but putting up a 40" J-mount pole off the eave of my garage (about 18" from where it is currently installed on a temporary platform) and then routing the cable down into the garage to a UPS power supply and Eero hub. I'm running the SL in bridge mode and using my existing Eero mesh (one original Eero and three Eero Pros) to distribute to the rest of the house. The Eeros are all on hardline backhaul back to a Gb switch in the basement over CAT5e

If I wasn't retired, and I was working, I would probably not be tracking what is happening so often, or even thinking about it.

At some point I will probably get bored with it. I am getting 99.5% connectivity and averaging somewhere between 50-150 mbps, which is plenty for my use cases. So I have no complaints with Starlink.

I have a ticket open with TPLink to return an external outdoor WAP that is getting 50%+ packet loss. I am hoping that what they send me to replace it will not have that problem. I want to have decent WiFi outside, especially out to my shop where I want to put in some alarms (freezer, door, movement). I would also like to have some extern WiFi surveillance cams.

It hasn't slowed down for me - still averaging about 100 mbps. Speed varies a lot; just now got speeds of 80 mbps in one test, then 180 mbps in the next.

I have finally managed to not obsess about the speed or interruptions. I don't check them unless someone mentions them.

I got two firmware updates in the last week or so.

It hasn't slowed down for me - still averaging about 100 mbps. Speed varies a lot; just now got speeds of 80 mbps in one test, then 180 mbps in the next.

I have finally managed to not obsess about the speed or interruptions. I don't check them unless someone mentions them.

I got two firmware updates in the last week or so.
This is where I've been since within a couple weeks of installing. It's working so much better than anything I've had at home for 17 years, and I am able to remote into work without issues - something I've never been able to do before. As long as those things are working, I don't sit and run speed tests or obstruction checks. I might open the SL app once every other week at this point except to show someone new how it works.

Starlink , over San Juan islands this weekend

5BCE0116-9813-4F7F-90EB-FE798C3D5125.jpeg

In the last week or two, I have noticed a significant increase in speeds during weekday 8AM-6PM time periods. Usually I get about 50-100 mbps (sometimes a bit more) during the workdays. But I have regularly been seeing 100-150 mbps the past week or two, and just now saw a relatively steady 200 mbps speed test with no fade.

I don't know why, whether it is maybe less use by users in my cell (I am not sure how much having my two very close {200 yards} neighbors also be on Starlink affects my speed or not) or whether it is new satellites coming on line every week or so?

I have noticed the coverage map shows more cells west of the Mississippi opening up to "available" (meaning immediate availability) vs. "expanding" (meaning online but no new orders being accepted), including the PNW.

I don't check as often as I used to - the newness has more or less worn off - but it will be interesting to see if the leaves dropping from the closest trees have an impact on obstructions or not. Not sure whether it is seeing those maples or the firs beyond them, but I expect some holes to open up.

Also, I have very limited experience with rain. I had some heavy rain the first few days with no noticeable difference, but no rain since until now. Others have reported complete outages due to rain while some have had zero problems with rain.

Starlink has updated their Terms of Service. For the USA, starting
December, there is now a data cap of 1 TB for "priority data access"
during "peak hours".

Peak Hours Usage (7 AM to 11 PM)
Off-Peak Usage (11 PM to 7 AM)

Beyond that, the speed will be "deprioritized", which I take to mean
it will be the same speed as the RV or "Best Effort" services.

Since I had the RV system, before I got my Residential
system, I found the speeds of those more than adequate for my
purposes. Indeed, I noticed little difference between that and the
Residential system. YMMV

Users can opt-in to get additional priority access for 25 cents per
GB. Once you opt-in, it is added automatically to your bill.

The account page now has a data usage graph for the billing period.

We've had two significant outages over the past couple of days - 10 minutes or longer. It hailed at the house pretty hard yesterday and it went out for about 10 minutes, and today we had some heavy snow fall and my wife said there was about 20 minutes where she couldn't connect to anything online.

Hoping this isn't persistent. With the early arrival of winter this year, that could really suck.

We've had two significant outages over the past couple of days - 10 minutes or longer. It hailed at the house pretty hard yesterday and it went out for about 10 minutes, and today we had some heavy snow fall and my wife said there was about 20 minutes where she couldn't connect to anything online.

Hoping this isn't persistent. With the early arrival of winter this year, that could really suck.
Do you have your auto heat turned on?

I think it was the day before yesterday, there was a global outage (reported in the USA, UK and NZ) reported on Reddit. It lasted about 10 minutes for me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top