JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think it would be cool to "silence" a bunch of weps (someday, like the week suppressors come off the NFA list - we can always hope). And I wonder...

Do suppressors only work with the specific caliber(s) for which they are designated? Or can I buy a larger one and expect it to effectively suppress smaller rounds too?

For instance, if I bought a quality can for .45acp, would that also work on smaller calibers (as long as they were all threaded the same)? How small could I go and get safe earmuff-free suppression?

.45 (shooting my buddy's grease gun in the video - and I LOVE it)
.44 mag
30-06
7.62x39
.357 mag (and .38 and +P)
9mm
.22 (have a Sparrow)

Probably not. Good can design may be very platform specific. Our Elite Iron Echo 6" .22rf cans are for .22rf only. They may or may not work as well with larger capacity .22 diameter cartridges.

Sig Mosquito and a short barrel Ruger 10-22. All one hears is the hammer dropping, a "POP", the action cycling and the thump of the Aquila SSS heavy slug hitting something solid.

To enable one can to fit all may suggest that the can does not work well with any platform. This is approaching rocket science. Very hot high pressure gas moving, expanding and cooling.

Not even close to matter anti matter annihilation resulting in who knows what traveling down and through the plasma conduits powering whatever on the future star ship ... but maybe kinda. :)

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

www.eliteiron.com

i bought a silencerco hybrid. works great. have shot 338 win mag all the way down to .223 and 9mm with it. mainly use it for 300blk and 40s&w

I have a 1984 Rabbit Diesel 4 door sedan that makes 400 hp and does the quarter mile in the low 10's. Top speed 140. Also gets 70 mpg. All on 75 year old surplus WW3 diesel fuel. Respectfully. :)

I don't have any experience with them, but one you might want to check out is the Hybrid 46. It will handle the calibers listed in the original post.

I've, generally, stuck with cans for the specific caliber. One exception I can think of is running a 9mm suppressor on a 7.65mm Browning (.32 ACP) SBR and it works fine.

I don't have any experience with them, but one you might want to check out is the Hybrid 46. It will handle the calibers listed in the original post.

I've, generally, stuck with cans for the specific caliber. One exception I can think of is running a 9mm suppressor on a 7.65mm Browning (.32 ACP) SBR and it works fine.
Very interesting link. I wonder what those'll run if the damn stamp requirement is ever dropped. Really curious what the uncorked Db ratings are compared to the suppressed figures they post.

Using a 45 can on a 9mm or a 30 cal can on a 223 is doable. But you will sacrifice a bit of db for the convenience. More perceived sound will come out of the larger hole. A 223 can is best on a 223. A 30cal can will work, but you have a larger exit hole and it will sound a bit different. Might not sound different at your ear, but metered it will be louder.

Years back we asked Elite Iron if they could make a special specific can for our short barreled USGI M2 Carbine project. .30 Carbine. About a 12" bbl. About 1700+ fps with military ammo. He said that they probably could, based upon their bigger .30 cal cans, by maybe deleting some baffles and shortening the length, but no Db guarantees.

He also said the gas blast back problem from the open top breech of the Carbine may cause concerns. He also said he did not know for sure. He also stated they would have to thread the USGI .30 Carbine shortened barrel so the threads were exact. Very close tolerances. BUT they NOW have a new Battle Dog moderator. Less Db sound reduction.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

www.eliteiron.com

Oh, I didn't know that! I'm going to buy the ASR next. I guess that's the only nice thing about a 9 month wait. You can buy one or two accessories a month and once it shows up you are pretty set.

Yes, as long as the silencer is rated for the caliber. There are some restrictions though, read up on the silencer before purchasing. Each one is designed differently, some are lighter and are not designed to handle high pressures from some other calibers. I demo 7.62 silencers on .223 rifles and .45 silencers on 9mm all the time. The decibel reduction is lower than it would be with the designed caliber however it's important to remember most ammunition (45 excluded) is supersonic and is inherently loud because so.

It's common for people to purchase one .45 handgun silencer and one 7.62 rifle silencer. The handgun .45 silencer can be used on pretty much any caliber smaller than .45, the same with the rifle 7.62 silencer. Again, there are some ammunition and silencer specific restriction so do your homework before buying and just putting them on anything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top