JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's like you can read my mind!!
Seriously though Brian, my obsidian has been begging for this!!!!
Lol, give it time. I don't think I'd sell it as is. I would rather replace the screw with a proper replacement then sell. I'll keep you in mind when that time comes!

Lol, give it time. I don't think I'd sell it as is. I would rather replace the screw with a proper replacement then sell. I'll keep you in mind when that time comes!
But now it has an unoriginal screw. That damages the collector value. I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for a hundred bucks, you know, parts value.

Just kidding of course. Good job fixing it! :)

Glad to hear it worked out. I've found that one to be a great suppressed platform, particularly with the right loads. :)
You have that right. Heavy 38s and or 357s are silly quiet.

C26BE452-134B-4E90-87DA-4E120F25322B.jpeg

I know a guy who has a brick/wall hanger Winchester 94 44 magnum lever gun that he hasn't been able to get the carrier/lifter part for for over 15 years. Not all crap guns are Remingtons.

I know a guy who has a brick/wall hanger Winchester 94 44 magnum lever gun that he hasn't been able to get the carrier/lifter part for for over 15 years. Not all crap guns are Remingtons.
At that point I'd be looking for a machinist to make one, likely after buying another exact rifle to use as a template.

This experience does have me looking at Henry and other lever guns in the same sort of configuration. I'm not horribly excited to have a rifle with zero support, no parts availability, and such a vulnerable design.

At that point I'd be looking for a machinist to make one, likely after buying another exact rifle to use as a template.

This experience does have me looking at Henry and other lever guns in the same sort of configuration. I'm not horribly excited to have a rifle with zero support, no parts availability, and such a vulnerable design.
My Uberti 1873 came with super soft screws holding, well, everything. Managed to strip one so bad it had to be drilled out.

Fortunately, hardened replacements exist and the cowboy action market has supplied me with enough after market goodness to really slick up the action without need to permanently modify a stock part (in case I want to sell it off in that config).

Definitely worth a look.

My Uberti 1873 came with super soft screws holding, well, everything. Managed to strip one so bad it had to be drilled out.

Fortunately, hardened replacements exist and the cowboy action market has supplied me with enough after market goodness to really slick up the action without need to permanently modify a stock part (in case I want to sell it off in that config).

Definitely worth a look.
Mostly I've been eyeballing the Henry Model X.

The mag tube looks entirely better secured VS the Marlin.

Looking at the design of the 1894, with the softer metal used for the screw in this particular Marlin, one wrong drop onto the front of this rifle and that screw is toast. I know that the screw is soft as it was entirely too easy to drill into and tap to remove what was left of it inside the tab. It makes me wonder if a slight bump in the past from moving the gun around in a case or the safe was the true cause of the failure and when I went to unscrew it, it just gave up. Beats me, but whatever sense of the gun being "durable" definitely went out the window with this experience.

Mostly I've been eyeballing the Henry Model X.

The mag tube looks entirely better secured VS the Marlin.

Looking at the design of the 1894, with the softer metal used for the screw in this particular Marlin, one wrong drop onto the front of this rifle and that screw is toast. I know that the screw is soft as it was entirely too easy to drill into and tap to remove what was left of it inside the tab. It makes me wonder if a slight bump in the past from moving the gun around in a case or the safe was the true cause of the failure and when I went to unscrew it, it just gave up. Beats me, but whatever sense of the gun being "durable" definitely went out the window with this experience.
The X model would be and was high on my list due to the side gate; just don't like the tube design without it.

Uberti apparently uses the same tube for .45LC and .357/.38 - so there are aftermarket sleeves to take up the extra space for the .357 models so the bullets stay more evenly aligned. Supposed to help resolve feeding issues (for what it's worth, I did have some with .38's and haven't yet tested the filler tube).

I mention all this simply to wonder: does Henry use the same tube across models or do they shrink it down and does it feed well ootb with both .38's and .357's? I guess there is one way to find out.

Shame about the Marlin. They have a curly maple model that's been on my wishlist.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top