JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Took my hand guard and magazine tube off to bolt on a muzzle brake to the barrel. (A Cherry bomb) While unscrewing the magazine tube retaining screw from the tab that indexes to the barrel, I somehow snapped the screw off inside the tab. I don't recall using any thread locker on it and it's in good condition, so there shouldn't been any sort of seized threads. Anywho, now my $800-$1000 Marlin CST is basically a really expensive single shot!

Looking to those here for assistance finding these parts. I'm working with what's left of Marlin and R to see if I can get these from the source, but due to the transition and Remington bankruptcy I don't have high hopes that that will happen. If all else fails this paperweight will go to Tim in hopes he might be able to work up a solution.

Moral of the story, don't break small screws that have a huge role in the entire guns functionality!

Kind of annoyed that something like this little screw has such a huge role in the whole guns operations.

Thanks!

Reno

D2E682E7-E07E-4AFB-AB64-581DA8BE8AE2.jpeg

Take the remains of the screw to Tacoma Screw Products and see if they can match it. If you don't have any usable part of the screw left, you could still try them if you know the size, pitch and hardness (least important).

Parkrose Hardware is another option. Between the two I would be fairly certain they have a suitable replacement.

Take the remains of the screw to Tacoma Screw Products and see if they can match it. If you don't have any usable part of the screw left, you could still try them if you know the size, pitch and hardness (least important).

Parkrose Hardware is another option. Between the two I would be fairly certain they have a suitable replacement.
Good information thanks!

Looking at it closer, it looks like I might have had some blue locktite on it after all. Thankfully there are some threads exposed!

Still need to find a way to get the remaining part of the screw out to save the tab.

845A8793-9E00-45FE-9AC0-624A5582B510.jpeg 075AFB3C-196E-4BF2-991E-09A35BB474FC.jpeg

If that gun is a Remlin or Remington made marlin that's a know issue with the cheep screws being of poor quality and Prone to breaking.
I'm fairly certain it is a Remlin. Good to know. Sad, but good to know.

Looking at it closer, it looks like I might have had some blue locktite on it after all. Thankfully there are some threads exposed!

Still need to find a way to get the remaining part of the screw out to save the tab.

View attachment 980038 View attachment 980039

If you can, chuck the tab up in a vice and carefully drill the center out with a small bit. If you have access to a drill press even better.

Edited to add: some heat from a small hand torch may help too. When I worked as a mechanic, many seized fasteners were successfully removed with some careful heat. Also, a small set of easy out bits can be found at HF for cheap. Drill a small pilot hole then use the easy-out to remove.

One screw can get expensive :s0140:
No freaking joke. Without any support for Marlin currently, I'm heavily leaning on selling this rifle once I get this fixed. I'm scarred now, imagining if I broke something more important, gun would be worthless.

Easy fix for a gunsmith, or anyone with some training or experience with such things.

If you were closer I'd say drop it by and I'd fix it for you. I have a bin full of assorted firearm bolts, screws, and bits. There might be one that would fit.

The idea of factory support for a firearm is not something I usually even think about, since my primary interest is in older, obsolete guns. I've fabricated all kinds of little parts and pieces over the years.

Took my hand guard and magazine tube off to bolt on a muzzle brake to the barrel. (A Cherry bomb) While unscrewing the magazine tube retaining screw from the tab that indexes to the barrel, I somehow snapped the screw off inside the tab. I don't recall using any thread locker on it and it's in good condition, so there shouldn't been any sort of seized threads. Anywho, now my $800-$1000 Marlin CST is basically a really expensive single shot!

Looking to those here for assistance finding these parts. I'm working with what's left of Marlin and R to see if I can get these from the source, but due to the transition and Remington bankruptcy I don't have high hopes that that will happen. If all else fails this paperweight will go to Tim in hopes he might be able to work up a solution.

Moral of the story, don't break small screws that have a huge role in the entire guns functionality!

Kind of annoyed that something like this little screw has such a huge role in the whole guns operations.

Thanks!

Reno

View attachment 980037
If you are close to a Parkrose Hardware, they have a nearly unbelievable collection of screws. They have helped me out of a bind more than once.
Best,
Gary

Easy fix for a gunsmith, or anyone with some training or experience with such things.

If you were closer I'd say drop it by and I'd fix it for you. I have a bin full of assorted firearm bolts, screws, and bits. There might be one that would fit.

The idea of factory support for a firearm is not something I usually even think about, since my primary interest is in older, obsolete guns. I've fabricated all kinds of little parts and pieces over the years.
Ya, I'll attempt it myself, but if I get to close to messing up the tab, I'll likely just let Tim handle it. I know he will be able to fix such a thing.

I didn't have a striped screw remover small enough, but I did have a tap small enough to tap after drilling it out and use as a means to get it to remaining screw out. Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to find a replacement screw. I'll be trying a few local places, if that fails I'll be making a few trips to the places recommended here.

0420E8EA-C241-4526-8072-346612438FB1.jpeg

I didn't have a striped screw remover small enough, but I did have a tap small enough to tap after drilling it out and use as a means to get it to remaining screw out. Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to find a replacement screw. I'll be trying a few local places, if that fails I'll be making a few trips to the places recommended here.

View attachment 980115

Nice, the hard part is over. :cool:

Posted in the heat wave thread on accident. Probably the heat! But I found a few screws with the same thread pitch and diameter that will work in a box of old RC car screws I've kept from decades of meddling with RC cars. Rifle is assembled back together now. The bolt I used is a bit longer than needed, but I'll deal with cutting it down to size later. For now, disaster avoided! Once I'm able to, I'll be buying a few spare parts for this rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top