JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK here's my variation on the "Only One Gun" theme. Should be pretty simple but may hear some interesting variations...
Now, supposing you could have only ONE high-powered rifle, MANUALLY operated- NO semi-autos- for everything- hunting mainly but also for protection as needed.
WHAT would it be, in ya'lls experience?
I made that choice many years ago which Ive mostly stuck with over the years, an early '70's BLR .308........ I chose that cuz it is quicker than a bolt and in a caliber that is easy to find, even as mil-surp. I have other rifles but aside from a .30-30 Marlin it has been and is my main hunting rifle. I've got a nicely sporterised Steyr-built K98k Mauser but Ive yet to use it as I don't bear or elk hunt. IF I was stuck in a cabin in very rural Canada my choice MIGHT be a .303 Enfield #4...
What say you all?
PS I do reload a variety of .308 for various purposes. FWIW my own OTD rifle of choice is either an AK or AR15, which is beyond the scope of this thread....
1945 .303 Enfield Sniper is good enough for me.

861F025F-4C01-4078-BA95-EB84D79A0272.jpeg 3C6F5AB7-72FA-4EE7-8A26-1F1ABA797E9D.jpeg 037F6977-9A3C-4F97-ADFE-F7FF9D6A177B.jpeg 0A384C40-1768-4F1D-9EEB-773C9C2A52AF.jpeg 6E0614D4-A331-4B46-87B4-11A527AFF14A.png

Last Edited:
Consider the .444 Marlin as you can use the same 240gr weight .429 bullets for both .44 Magnum and .444 Marlin cartridges. You can also use 300gr to 325gr wt weight .429 bullets for very large game.
Used a .444 Marlin many years ago in Michigan for deer/bear season. It was a hammer and the blast left the place looking like the aftermath of the Tunguska meteor event... :D

OK here's my variation on the "Only One Gun" theme. Should be pretty simple but may hear some interesting variations...
Now, supposing you could have only ONE high-powered rifle, MANUALLY operated- NO semi-autos- for everything- hunting mainly but also for protection as needed.
WHAT would it be, in ya'lls experience?
I made that choice many years ago which Ive mostly stuck with over the years, an early '70's BLR .308........ I chose that cuz it is quicker than a bolt and in a caliber that is easy to find, even as mil-surp. I have other rifles but aside from a .30-30 Marlin it has been and is my main hunting rifle. I've got a nicely sporterised Steyr-built K98k Mauser but Ive yet to use it as I don't bear or elk hunt. IF I was stuck in a cabin in very rural Canada my choice MIGHT be a .303 Enfield #4...
What say you all?
PS I do reload a variety of .308 for various purposes. FWIW my own OTD rifle of choice is either an AK or AR15, which is beyond the scope of this thread....
If you are talking about high powered manually operated rifle, does it really make much difference what you use? Savage, Remington 700, etc etc in .270, .308, 30-06, 6.5CM, etc etc etc are all good and will kill anything you need to kill at reasonable ranges. Differences are things like weight, trigger pull etc but they can all do the job well. Unless you are talking extreme long ranges it seems to me it's more about personal preferences for the caliber and gun.

If you are talking about high powered manually operated rifle, does it really make much difference what you use? Savage, Remington 700, etc etc in .270, .308, 30-06, 6.5CM, etc etc etc are all good and will kill anything you need to kill at reasonable ranges. Differences are things like weight, trigger pull etc but they can all do the job well. Unless you are talking extreme long ranges it seems to me it's more about personal preferences for the caliber and gun.
Of course that is a fact. The point of the exercise is to hear what other guys prefer or have enjoyed over the years. An opinion poll if you will in an attempt to get to know one another better, certainly not the first such thread here. I'm pleased with the "turnout" and range of opinions... :s0082: Happy Christmas/Yule!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top