JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dan,

My husband told me that he had a sweet BLR 308 a long time ago too. I may have mentioned this to you (?) or to someone else in other threads in the past.

I read him your question and he told me that he would choose a 22lr BOLT action rifle and his OLD, classic, beautiful walnut/blue steel 30-06 bolt action rifle.

I think that he would choose one of his several 22lr rifles FIRST (?).

One of his CZ BOLT ACTION 22lr rifles or his famous Ruger BOLT ACTION 22lr rifle ($$$) since ALL of them are tack drivers. That Ruger one has a scope on it for hunting.

I thought that he would choose his lever action rifle in 30-30 Winchester caliber or his lever action rifle in 45-70 Government caliber but he CHOSE his famous bolt action rifle in 30-06 instead. He only owns 2 MADE IN CT Marlin lever action rifles now.

He does NOT own any semi automatic rifle any longer.

He always LIKED bolt action and lever action rifles much more!

He does own and shoot his Glock and Beretta semi automatic pistols and his Ruger single action revolver. ALL of his other rifles, handguns and shotguns went bye bye.

Old Lady Cate
Interesting responses, Cate, Thanks for taking the time!

A sporterized mauser in .308 is tough to beat for utility.

AC36AFDC-2C49-478E-802B-79C0EFE8EA75.jpeg FD4FB362-2545-46A3-B238-04907687218D.jpeg

Pump action shotgun of choice with a rifled barrel, 28" choked barrel and a short barrel. As close as it gets to being able to do everything.

For rifle I would probably pick a 30-30 lever action.

Interesting responses, Cate, Thanks for taking the time!
Dan,

You're welcome!

One other thing that he told me to tell you since he does not post on any forums and he has NOT for a long, long time as in years.

My husband told me that since he does hunt in various types of RUGGED TERRAIN mainly on HUGE, private ranches owned by VERY close friends and on public land (MT), that is one reason why he chose the 30-06 rifle to answer your specific post. The 30-06 and the 22lr.

A couple of years ago, he hunted closer - butt up to THE BOB aka the Bob Marshall Wilderness - public land more due to his hunting buddy's work schedule. My husband has been retired but his friend has not retired. Right where he was hunting, it was a totally different type of terrain and in that SPOT - he used his 45-70 Government caliber rifle more.

He did not elk hunt much last year (2021) due to being ill for a week or so.

That older, BEAUTIFUL, walnut/blue Remington 700 BDL 30-06 rifle was bought NIB by him here in town many years ago. That rifle has a scope on it too.

He told me that he most likely (?) would DIE still owning that Model 700 BDL rifle and some type of BOLT ACTION 22lr rifle too.

We are older/retired and he was scaling down before and after retirement as he PLANNED.

Plus due to some of HIS own physical issues. (NOT just my own.)

When he was thinking about buying some property in another state years ago, in another type of terrain, he had another specific firearm for that too. That was his last - former shotgun which was a Remington Model 870 Marine Magnum - 12 gauge. He has NO shotgun now as I said. He used to own some beautiful Wingmasters and other shotguns that some of you guys talk about for a time frame too. He used to do a LOT of duck hunting years ago too. He used to reload for his former shotguns too.

He still reloads as he has since the early 70's.

One handgun - 45acp. He does NOT reload for the .380acp Glock and we discussed this BEFORE he bought it.

He has far LESS calibers to reload for now:

45acp

.223 for now (?).
30-30 Winchester for now (?). Some factory ammunition is here for this.
30-06
45-70 Government

He still hunts grouse, deer, elk, etc. He still loves to fish.

No safe queens are here. I am NOT knocking people who do own safe queens when I state this.

He enjoys shooting what he owns and he still shoots on a regular basis.

Our range:

Take care and keep warm!

Cate

Last Edited:
That is a pre-64 Model 70, as customized by JK Cloward. I am still wondering what happened to Jim. I see no obituary and his phones are all turned off.
The bolt shroud confused me, but now I see it's the prewar safety. :)

That one's too nice to use! Unlike my "clunkers" The top one would qualify for this list. The second one not so much, just because 257 is difficult to come by.

Model 70 keeper.jpg with a few down the pipe.jpg

OK here's my variation on the "Only One Gun" theme. Should be pretty simple but may hear some interesting variations...
Now, supposing you could have only ONE high-powered rifle, MANUALLY operated- NO semi-autos- for everything- hunting mainly but also for protection as needed.
WHAT would it be, in ya'lls experience?
I made that choice many years ago which Ive mostly stuck with over the years, an early '70's BLR .308........ I chose that cuz it is quicker than a bolt and in a caliber that is easy to find, even as mil-surp. I have other rifles but aside from a .30-30 Marlin it has been and is my main hunting rifle. I've got a nicely sporterised Steyr-built K98k Mauser but Ive yet to use it as I don't bear or elk hunt. IF I was stuck in a cabin in very rural Canada my choice MIGHT be a .303 Enfield #4...
What say you all?
PS I do reload a variety of .308 for various purposes. FWIW my own OTD rifle of choice is either an AK or AR15, which is beyond the scope of this thread....
Savage 99 in .300 Savage or .308 good for just about everything!

Ruger Scout rifle in .308, or maybe my Henry Big Boy in .44 mag. FWIW, my OTD rifle is a Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 with a QD Aimpoint micro and QD Burrus Scout scope. Its 100% bullet proof and will dramatically alter the behavior of any 2 or 4 legged predator in the lower 48.

Blaser R93......have both 7mm Magnum and 375 Holland & Holland barrel/scope combos.

Switch out in two minutes......one bolt face works for either caliber.

This gun has been with me in the US, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Iceland......taken everything from a Pronghorn to a Cape Buffalo.

If there's a challenge now, spare parts are becoming hard to find......

Northlight

Blaser R93......have both 7mm Magnum and 375 Holland & Holland barrel/scope combos.

Switch out in two minutes......one bolt face works for either caliber.

This gun has been with me in the US, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Iceland......taken everything from a Pronghorn to a Cape Buffalo.

If there's a challenge now, spare parts are becoming hard to find......

Northlight
I was thinking that with the stupid restrictions we are (may be) facing, it would make sense to own a switch barrel rifle.
Being the mechanic that I am, I think I'd try to figure out how to do it with one that I already own.

To all of the people that said some kind of lever, I gotta admit that's a close second to a bolt for me. I have a couple of Winchesters, an 1894 and a Model 94. The 30WCF/30-30 is a stout short-er range round and NOTHING carries in the hand like a lever carbine. I used one for the first time in ages a couple of years ago and documented that hunt here someplace. My carbine doesn't have sling swivels and I couldn't have cared less. I wrapped my hand around the action and walked on like it was part of me. I'd completely forgotten how natural it felt in my hand. Sometimes the romance and practicality match. If I'm not trying to poke at distance, I would be well served with a lever action carbine in 30-30.

Last Edited:
I was thinking that with the stupid restrictions we are (may be) facing, it would make sense to own a switch barrel rifle.
Being the mechanic that I am, I think I'd try to figure out how to do it with one that I already own.

To all of the people that said some kind of lever, I gotta admit that's a close second to a bolt for me. I have a couple of Winchesters, an 1894 and a Model 94. The 30WCF/30-30 is a stout short-er range round and NOTHING carries in the hand like a lever carbine. I used one for the first time in ages a couple of years ago and documented that hunt here someplace. My carbine doesn't have sling swivels and I couldn't have cared less. I wrapped my hand around the action and walked on like it was part of me. I'd completely forgotten how natural it felt in my hand. Sometimes the romance and practicality match. If I'm not trying to poke at distance, I would be well served with a lever action carbine in 30-30.
Well goodness, Orygun, you sound like you're from Grant County or somethin'...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top