JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm surprised the charges were off by that much. Did you weigh the brass/primer combos also?

How about the bullets?
Nah. This was years ago and done on a beam scale. The powder alone was enough time spent out of my day.

Anyone who reloads knows how .2 or .3gr of powder can change their pattern....

Just doing the numbers in my head, they are 0.5 percent off the median - not a large deviation.
A guy on snipers hide did a work-up on them and just weighing the entire cartridge loaded, they were only .1-.2 GR difference from one to another. That's why I was surprised the powder alone varied that much.

IMO it is the powder and bullet weight that will make the most difference, the case capacity might affect pressure a little, as might variances in primer flash.

You could get combinations where less powder, higher bullet weight, larger case capacity and lower primer flash make for less velocity and vice versa.

However, I think the shooter will have more effect on the group size than that combo.

When I reload, I work up by half grain (0.5) until I approach recommended maximum, then I increase by 0.1 grain. If I can get near maximum with no signs of pressure problems then I go for the most accurate loading. I understand that there can be pressure problems without hard extraction and/or flattened primers/etc.

Once I have a load I like, I check that the powder charge is still roughly the same every 30 or 40 cartridges.

But I usually don't reload that way anymore - I only reload to get loads I can't buy, which usually means real light loads, or real light bullets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top