JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fair point, I guess that's all relative and I'm learning by minute. What I meant what relative to the west side where the forest is denser (more cover, can get closer), I'm guessing one has to take longer shots on the east side.

You dont have to take longer shots on the east side. I live and hunt in eastern wa and all of my big game kills last year were 40 yards or less. If you hunt with getting shorter shots in mind, thats what you will get. It all boils down to your goals and hunting style.

I always personally like 280/7mm cals over the 30 cals. To me it is the sweet spot for bullet bc and sd without having to endure too much recoil. Of the 280 cals the 280 ai is about the most versatile of them all. Stoke up a good 160 gr bullet to about 2950 and you have a combo that will kill anything out to most reasonable ranges. Of course the 30 06 would be a decent choice as well and there is a strong argument for ammo availability with it. I am also convinced the 270 is a good choice for a one rifle battery and most places will have good ammo availability for it as well.
I guess there was a lot of discussion about the "perfect" caliber during the 70's and 80's between a number of gun writers.
Eventually, they all agreed the guidelines should be a balance of bc and sd.
Of all the calibers that are/were available, they all concluded the highest instance of the best balance of bc to sd was......….

...7mm.
After that finding was published a few times, a slug of new 7mm cartridges were suddenly created.
For hunting in the PNW, I don't think it would get much better than a light rifle in 7mm-08. 1.5-6X or 2-7X scope and a nice comfy sling rounds that package out for an ideal hunting rig, whether your swimming in the Salal of Dewatto or climbing the peaks of Snoqualmie. :s0155:

1583194233990.png

Dean

Last Edited:
For hunting in the PNW, I don't think it would get much better than a light rifle in 7mm-08. 1.5-6X or 2-7X scope and a nice comfy sling rounds that package out for an ideal hunting rig, whether your swimming in the Salal of Dewatto or climbing the peaks of Snoqualmie. :s0155:

View attachment 665697

Dean

I knew what rifle I was going to get for my wife 15+ years ago (Ruger 77MKII Compact), but I wasn't sure of the cartridge. I hemmed and hawed between the 260 and the 7mm-08, giving the nod to the 7mm. Just about that time people were starting to figure out that it worked at least as well as the ol 7x57 and was a great hunting cartridge. Then really good bullets started coming out in factory ammo, although I didn't buy any until after she'd dropped a spike elk with Core-Loks. She's been shooting with a Leupold 2-7x33 and complaining about the difficulty in changing zoom. Now she has a VX-R 2-7x33 to sight in and use. The whole thing is a light, handy killer.

I knew what rifle I was going to get for my wife 15+ years ago (Ruger 77MKII Compact), but I wasn't sure of the cartridge. I hemmed and hawed between the 260 and the 7mm-08, giving the nod to the 7mm. Just about that time people were starting to figure out that it worked at least as well as the ol 7x57 and was a great hunting cartridge. Then really good bullets started coming out in factory ammo, although I didn't buy any until after she'd dropped a spike elk with Core-Loks. She's been shooting with a Leupold 2-7x33 and complaining about the difficulty in changing zoom. Now she has a VX-R 2-7x33 to sight in and use. The whole thing is a light, handy killer.
How is your wife liking that VX-R?
Haven't really looked into riflescopes for a while now. Just wondering what's out there and what works these days.

Dean

How is your wife liking that VX-R?
Haven't really looked into riflescopes for a while now. Just wondering what's out there and what works these days.

Dean
She's not shot it yet. She just got it for her birthday late January. I've had a VX-R on my 06 for several years and besides the CDS dial on mine, I absolutely love it. Her's has capped turrets which I believe is the way to go for a hunting scope.

You can load it light with 70 to 100 grains powder or 170 grains Swiss fff and a 560 grn hunk of lead at 1700 fps and hunt giant cotten tails lol

cool, I don't have time to get into muzzle loading right now. not sure I ever will anyway. I see the appeal though. Would be cool to kill a deer on some old school tech.

Assuming you were speaking for the front loader crowd, what is the caliber/load you usually use for deer hunting?

Dean
I was thinking of both breech loading and muzzleloading....
But
I usually use my Hawken for all my shooting and hunting.
The load is the same for all of my shooting :
80 grains of 2F a .15 patch and a .530 round ball.
This load has won many a rifle match....and taken rabbit , grouse , deer , bear and elk.
Andy

Edit to add :
In my hunting experiences with muzzleloading rifles I did not need a large charge of powder , nor a concial bullet to kill game.
Not saying that there is anything "wrong" with using 100 grains or more ( if your rifle can safely handle such loads ) or the use of a conical....
Just saying that I found a historic load and round ball to be effective with how I shoot.
Andy

OK old guy here please forgive any unintentional Fuddery comments. :oops: I no longer hunt. However, when I was less aged I never missed a deer/antelope/elk season. Sometimes I got skunked and sometimes I filled my tag(s). During all those years my go-to hunting rifle was, and still is, a 30-30 lever gun - Winchester 94 was/is my favorite. Never had any problems when connecting with wild game. I always loved the stalk/ambush approach best and finding ways for short shots- less than 100 yards or so. Was never a trophy hunter or had the desire to be one. I have also taken at least two deer with a .54 cal black powder flint lock rifle in WY. 1803 Harpers Ferry for the curious. I do believe that it truly is the Indian and not the arrow. Where I live I regularly have deer and elk in my yard just below my back deck. Nice animals but, no, that would be cheating even out here in the country. Nice thread and brings back good memories.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top