JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Probably not, but I'm not too up on all the powders out there these days.
If it were only handgun / shotgun, I'd probably use Universal Clays, but mix in a long arm and I'm not so sure.
Educate me,

Dean

P.S. The title should read "One Powder for handgun, shotgun AND rifle?" Sorry. Didn't see the error until it was posted and I can't figure out how to fix it now. Mods? Help?

Last Edited:
many pistol/shotgun powders can be used for shooting cast bullets in rifles, but you won't achieve 'rifle velocities' like you would with an actual rifle powder. One advantage of this is mile recolling loads for beginners or just plinking with the ol' deer rifle.

^^^EXACTLY^^^

This is my point.
Effective powder for rifle (to achieve "rifle-like" performance) that still works for handgun (to achieve "handgun-like" performance) and shotgun (to achieve "shotgun-like" performance).
I've never heard of such a thing, but maybe something's come down the pike these days that will work?
Need 3 cartridges in particular to quote?
How about .308, .357 mag and 20 gauge.
Ok, go.....

Red Dot ...

Search the Internet using the search string:"The Load" and see how 13 grains of Red Dot works in many rifles. I use "The Load" in my mil-surps and several bolt guns. I also use a ton of Red Dot in my pistol loads and trap loads.

Edit:

Okay forget the search … I've done it for you ...

The Load

Pyrodex....

I use it in my rifle, my pistol and if I had a black powder shotgun I could use it in that as well. :D

I know, probably not what you wanted.
FINALLY! A DEFINITIVE ANSWER!

...ok, just kidding, but you have a point. I didn't think about black powder, but maybe that is the answer.

Dean

...However the question is about rifle loads. No experience with that combo.
Yes, that is sort of the way I was leaning towards.
Everyone seems to be mentioning pistol/shotgun type powders, but I was thinking more along the lines of one of the faster rifle powders.
Of course, I did mention a shotgun powder in my opening post, so maybe that threw everyone.
…..sorry....o_O

Someone mentioned Red Dot, according to an article, but what about AR-Comp?
Anyone tried that in a handgun and/or shotgun?

Dean

Take a pound of your favorite pistol powder, a pound of your favorite shotgun powder and a pound of your favorite rifle powder, combine the three, mix it up until fully blended and you have three pounds of your favorite powder for all three types of guns.

And if you believe that I have some Ocean Front Property in Arizona for sale.

So, someone can afford three firearms, all that reloading equipment, components, but only one powder?
From a preparedness perspective only having one powder makes things a lot easier as well. In the not too distance past this would probably have been a nice dream but with the powders they are making now you might actually be able to find one that works "well enough" in all three to be you emergency powder. Until them find a powder and recipe that works for each rifle, shotgun, OR pistol you are reloading for and buy what you need for each.

Rifle calibers come in too many expansion ratios for just one powder. But, if i was going to pick just one powder for rifle, a middle speed powder would probably be most flexible, like 4895 or the new 4166. if one rifle powder would work optimally in every rifle caliber, well, we'd likely only have one available....

for moderate handgun and shotshell loads, unique works for me.
for heavy handgun gun and shotshell loads, i prefer blue dot.

but if forced to have just one powder for shotshell and handgun loads, i'd use unique.

however, there must be 100's of other choices out there (aren't we blessed?) because we probably have over 100 canisters powders to pick from.
-tdbru

...Someone mentioned Red Dot, according to an article...

Dean

That was me … and not only is it according to an article, it's according to actual use by myself and at least a half-dozen other shooters that use "The Load". It's been around a while and has been used by a lot of folks. I'm really surprised that nobody else chimed in with knowledge of this, I would have thought more here would have known about / tried it!

i've read CE "Ed" Harris' article on "The Load". i am aware of it and have much respect for him. but if i have to go down to 1 powder, for me, it would likely be either Unique or BlueDot. and that's ok that we have differences of opinion. thankfully we still have lots of choices and can pick and choose to optimize our loads.
-tdbru

From a preparedness perspective only having one powder makes things a lot easier as well. In the not too distance past this would probably have been a nice dream but with the powders they are making now you might actually be able to find one that works "well enough" in all three to be you emergency powder. Until them find a powder and recipe that works for each rifle, shotgun, OR pistol you are reloading for and buy what you need for each.

I could see buying one pistol/shotgun powder and a seperate powder for rifles if you have to, but I'm not sure I would use one powder for all three. Ive seen people use Unique or Red Dot to shoot cast lead from bottlenecked cartridges. Kind of kills performance and opens up the possibility of double charges.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top