JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After studying reviews and youtube videos on the SP101 I am torn between the SP101 2.25 inch and the 3 inch version. The benefits I see for the

2.25 inch

1. a little easier to conceal, possibly more holsters available for that size
2. TALO version comes with great Novak sights (that would cost extra in aftermarket on a 3 inch)

3 inch

1. better sight radius and accuracy with longer barrel
2. better burn of powder, velocity, energy delivery (videos of 2.25 showed darker barrel noses)

Are there other considerations? What's your take? Thanks much.

BH

I've owned a 3" model for over 20 years. I don't carry it (I have a few times) as I prefer a semi for carry. It's one of the oldest guns I own, having sold or traded most of the others over the years. At home, it's my wife's bedside gun - she prefers it over a semi for that purpose. For her, we keep it loaded with .38's.

What I can tell you is that, due to it's smaller size (compared to the GP100), it can be a bit punishing with .357 loads. I still shoot .357 through it myself, but it hurts my wife's wrists too much. With that in mind, my only input would be that the extra .75" of barrel is just that little extra bit of weight out front to help tame the recoil. Even if you're not recoil sensitive, it may help get you back on target just a bit faster for a follow-up shot, if needed.

Otherwise, I think it's a great gun, and currently the only revolver I own. I have been eyeing the GP100's for a while. I'd love to get a 6" model someday :)

I've owned a 3" model for over 20 years. I don't carry it (I have a few times) as I prefer a semi for carry. It's one of the oldest guns I own, having sold or traded most of the others over the years. At home, it's my wife's bedside gun - she prefers it over a semi for that purpose. For her, we keep it loaded with .38's.

What I can tell you is that, due to it's smaller size (compared to the GP100), it can be a bit punishing with .357 loads. I still shoot .357 through it myself, but it hurts my wife's wrists too much. With that in mind, my only input would be that the extra .75" of barrel is just that little extra bit of weight out front to help tame the recoil. Even if you're not recoil sensitive, it may help get you back on target just a bit faster for a follow-up shot, if needed.

Otherwise, I think it's a great gun, and currently the only revolver I own. I have been eyeing the GP100's for a while. I'd love to get a 6" model someday :)
I followed your advise. Very soft shooter with .38 SP - no comparison to my old snub nose airlight from SW. The added sight radius is helpful too. No problem concealing it. I like a little weight to remind me that I have it on me. I might change the front sight at some point. The iron works, but depending on what you are shooting at, a fiber optic or gold bead would make acquisition a bit quicker. Thanks for your input.

I followed your advise. Very soft shooter with .38 SP - no comparison to my old snub nose airlight from SW. The added sight radius is helpful too. No problem concealing it. I like a little weight to remind me that I have it on me. I might change the front sight at some point. The iron works, but depending on what you are shooting at, a fiber optic or gold bead would make acquisition a bit quicker. Thanks for your input.

You bet, glad to help. I agree a different front sight would be nice, but I consider it more of a close range gun, so I don't worry about it too much. One thing I did do was swap out the stock grips for a Hogue grip - it was a bit of a pain to put on, but I (and my wife), like the feel of the Hogue better.

You bet, glad to help. I agree a different front sight would be nice, but I consider it more of a close range gun, so I don't worry about it too much. One thing I did do was swap out the stock grips for a Hogue grip - it was a bit of a pain to put on, but I (and my wife), like the feel of the Hogue better.
I ordered wooden panel inserts, just for looks. Will post when done. The grip size & feel otherwise works for me. I agree on the close range aspect, however if you want to get certified / qualified on a certain gun you have to shoot well up to 25 yds. I think this gun has it, it shoots better than me ;-)

I like 3" guns having both the 101 and the 60. I like the heft of the 3". I do have a 1 7/8" airweight for the summer carry, but the 3" ruger or smith are charming. I'd pick the 3" over a 2 just on accuracy alone.

I like 3" guns having both the 101 and the 60. I like the heft of the 3". I do have a 1 7/8" airweight for the summer carry, but the 3" ruger or smith are charming. I'd pick the 3" over a 2 just on accuracy alone.
I could qualify with the SW 1 7/8th snub nose airweight up until 15 yds, after that everything was a flier. More over the cylinder release would hit my thumb knuckle with every shot. Took about 25 to make it bloody. Just no fun. Granted, good enough to fight for your life, but not good for practice. So I am at a much better place now. ;-)

I ordered wooden panel inserts, just for looks. Will post when done. The grip size & feel otherwise works for me. I agree on the close range aspect, however if you want to get certified / qualified on a certain gun you have to shoot well up to 25 yds. I think this gun has it, it shoots better than me ;-)

Those should look really nice on that gun, do be sure to post photos.

What are you getting qualified for? Is this going to be a duty gun?

No duty gun, but I do like to "qualify" for good measure. In WA you can take the "use of force" curriculum and pay a state accredited proctor to teach and administer the written and practical exam. Not only is it good training, it also helps with your credibility, should you ever be unfortunate enough to have that discussed on the stand.

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/images/Revised Student Study Guide 3-11.pdf

I have the 2.25 inch version. Carry it once in a while, it is nice and compact. I usually carry it with .38 Spec. +P, although it works fine with magnums, too. To me, the 3 inch is almost Glock 19 size and weight, and if I am going to pack that much I would rather have 15 rounds on tap.

I have the 2.25 inch version. Carry it once in a while, it is nice and compact. I usually carry it with .38 Spec. +P, although it works fine with magnums, too. To me, the 3 inch is almost Glock 19 size and weight, and if I am going to pack that much I would rather have 15 rounds on tap.
I hear you. When I want 15 rounds, I carry a CZ 75 P07 in 9mm. It's actually lighter than either of the SP101 (not much difference in weight between the 2.25 inch and the 3 inch). I can't do strikers ;-) (I can, but I won't) Revolvers are awesome and simple. Malfunction? Shoot again. Safety? There is no safety. DA is plenty of safe. Need more accuracy and a light trigger? Put it into SA. And they are good looking and shiny. That counts for scaring the bad guy. Agreed, 5 rounds is not much, especially if, statistically speaking, 3 of them are flyers. On the other hand, most DGUs are "no shots fired". Police shoot & kill about 650, civilians shoot and kill about 250 per year in justified homicides. Don't know about the number of shot and injured, but my guess is, it's not in the millions, not the 100,000s, nor the 10,000s. To me that says that "presentation" has a lot of stopping power.

20150313_131113_20150313131730617.jpg

My SP101 with a 2.25" barrel is an accurate revolver. I have had it for over 20 years, and carry it concealed 4 days a week.

I suggest that you buy the shorter barreled model and get one with the hammer unbobbed. I feel that this will give you more carry options as far as holsters go.
I have a pretty good setup with the belt loop outside. It brings the whole thing closer, easy to conceal.
20150314_131545(0).jpg